Sign in to follow this  
kenzo

Oshima Beya

Has anyone got any idea who will/may be the new Oyakata at Oshima?I think the current Oyakata has about another year before retirement age arrives. Heard some rumours but also heard the asking price was too high.

Edited by kenzo

I'd only ever heard Kyokutenho's name as absolutely the next Oshima-oyakata. Have you heard of other possibilities?

Since Kyokutenho-zeki has been busy not fulfilling his true potential for the last couple of years (just watch his latest two bouts), I don't see any other option.

Since Kyokutenho-zeki has been busy not fulfilling his true potential for the last couple of years (just watch his latest two bouts), I don't see any other option.

Nevertheless he is qualified to hold a myoseki, which is what counts. It is several years since the current master designated him as his successor, and Tenho took Japanese citizenship on the strength of it. Of course, it is always possible to go back on a deal -- but a deal there was, according to the reports at the time.

Orion

People who have attended "supporter events" at Oshima Beya in recent months have reported that Mrs. Tenho was acting as the hostess. She is, in short, okamisan-in-training.

"It was quite obvious that Kyokutenho, the heya apparent (pun intended), is already the main [presence] there, especially with his good-looking wife scurrying around and greeting everybody.

It looked like Kyokutenho spent most of the time with the exec types, for obvious reasons."

I have had the impression for the last year or so that Kyokutenho has been doing low risk sumo with the intent of staying injury free in low-mid level makuuchi until retirement day arrives.

I have had the impression for the last year or so that Kyokutenho has been doing low risk sumo with the intent of staying injury free in low-mid level makuuchi until retirement day arrives.

It always seemed to me that he and Kyokushuzan never really did more than they needed to savely stay in Makuuchi for a very long time.

Any idea when the take will happen?

Any idea when the take will happen?

Since Tenho does not own a kabu yet, he will most likely go intai on the day his shisho heads into retirement (04/25/12; so in-between Haru and Natsu).

On the other hand, they could arrange an Ushiomaru-like scenario, depending on whether an inactive kabu will be available or not.

In this case, Tenho waves his goodbye on the last day of Haru basho and becomes a loaner for a short period of time, only to take over Oshima beya on the 12th then.

I'm pretty sure he won't retire from being an active Rikishi before March 2012, assumed that his" injury-safe fighting style" will allow him to cruise through the paid ranks for the next one and a half years.

Edited by Raishu

It always seemed to me that he and Kyokushuzan never really did more than they needed to savely stay in Makuuchi for a very long time.

For Kyokushuzan that might be true but I think it is an unfair statement regarding Kyokutenho. He became a Sanyaku regular in his late 20's / early 30's and even now at 36, although not as strong as he used to, is still a permanent member of the joi-jin. I think he has made a lot out of his possibilities. The fact that he is now weakening should be credited to age and not to a lack of commitment to competition.

For Kyokushuzan that might be true but I think it is an unfair statement regarding Kyokutenho. He became a Sanyaku regular in his late 20's / early 30's and even now at 36, although not as strong as he used to, is still a permanent member of the joi-jin. I think he has made a lot out of his possibilities. The fact that he is now weakening should be credited to age and not to a lack of commitment to competition.

Fun fact about Kyokutenho: The most recent two times he had a makekoshi outside of the joi-jin were Aki 2006 and - Natsu 2001. Mortal elevator rikishi can only dream of that level of skill.

I'm a fan of Kyokutenho and I really think that he might have had the potential for more. These first Mongolians didn't exactly have a great time a the beginning, and Kyokushuzan was forced to totally change his style after reaching upper Makuuchi. So that doesn't really help to keep your fighting spirit up. I think Kyokutenho decided to stay in upper Makuuchi and is still able to maintain his position there without taking too much risk. Who else at his age has been able to stay up there for such a long time without the Ozeki-insurance?