Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

2010 Aki Jungyo news

The Aki Jungyo kicked off yesterday in Tsuchiura, Ibaraki. Hakuhou was all business, arriving at 8:30 in the morning and jumping into the ring during the Juryo training ( "My body was all warm and ready to go") and calling out local boy new Juryo Takayasu. He dominated of course, but was pushed out by Takayasu once. "I naturally want to do well during the jungyo.." said Hakuhou. "I wish to thank him," said the thankful Takayasu. Hakuhou had 18 bouts, the most any sekitori had. "The highest ranking rikishi had the most bouts. I'd like for everyone else to get up there with a feeling they can beat him.." said Kokonoe jungyo boss. Hakuhou showed a few yobimodoshi as well, taking advantage of the difference in ability. "It's been a while since I trained this early in the morning. I was inspired by all the young rikishi seriously aiming higher!" he said.

Aki Jungyo tour schedule

Hakuhou vs. Expensive-cheap:

20101016k0000m050028000p_size5.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Today-Yokohama, where Hakuhou had 21 training bouts, winning them all. Like two days ago, he entered the ring during the Juryo training, and had the most bouts among all yakitori. He faced Nakanokuni, Shironoryuu, Hoshikaze, Sakaizawa, Toyonoshima, and Sadanofuji. "If he uses this as a starting point and climbs up the banzuke slowly but Shirley, we can both be happy," he said of Nakanokuni.*

*Reminder-Nakanokuni ended up 3-12 in his Juryo debut and will be ranked pretty much out of the promotion zone in Makushita, unless he shows Zen.

Edited by Kintamayama

...unless he shows Zen.

Punny... Verrrry punny!! (Sign of approval...)

Hakuhou was waxing at the jungyo. "There have to be some rikishi in the lower ranks who feel like quitting because they realize they'll never make it to Makuuchi. If I train with them, they will at least be able to say they borrowed a Yokozuna's chest and that may come in useful..," he explained. He plans on taking on all Juryo rikishi during the jungyo. The reporter says it's very nice that the Yokozuna thinks that by doing this he is giving these guys a boost for their "second life" when they retire.

Great pic- "Take me over to the food stand over there.."

20101017-171653-1-L.jpg

They need a job rather than that.

Edited by ilovesumo

Hello, old member but very infrequent poster here.

I'm currently on holiday in Japan, and my travel will bring me to Kyoto during the 24th-25th. Unfortunately, I don't know Japanese, so I have no specific information on the tournament apart from the city (Otsu).

Could a kind soul please tell me the following:

- Exact address

- Start time

- Price

- Anything else I should know

If this is already available elsewhere, I apologize. Otherwise, thanks in advance.

I'm currently on holiday in Japan, and my travel will bring me to Kyoto during the 24th-25th. Unfortunately, I don't know Japanese, so I have no specific information on the tournament apart from the city (Otsu).

Could a kind soul please tell me the following:

- Exact address

- Start time

- Price

- Anything else I should know

If this is already available elsewhere, I apologize. Otherwise, thanks in advance.

It will be held at the Shigaken Rittai Taikukan - Outsu-shi, Nionohama 4-2-12

8:00 -training

11:00 - Children battle famous rikishi

11:30 - Makushita and under

13:00- Juryo dohyo-iri and matches

13:30- Makuuchi and Yokozuna Dohyo-iri, matches

15:00 - End

Prices 24th- from 3000 (nosebleed)- 13000 (Tamari S, ringside) yen, depending on quality- Masu seats (4 people) 36,000 (Masu A) -40,000 (Masu S)

Prices 25th- 2000- 11,000 yen. Masu seats (4 people) 28,000 (Masu A)- 32,000 (Masu S).

Venue map:

sekijun.jpg

Railway map:

tizu.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Today they were at Amagasaki, Hyogo. Hakuhou trained with the Makuuchi lads and was seen lending his chest to Tochiouzan. Injured KaioU (right knee and lower back) handed in a "need to rest for two weeks" injury notice to the Kyokai and was kyujo. The rikishi were visited by the prefecture police in the shitakubeya and warned not to have any contact whatsoever with the bad guys. "You may dash children's dreams (if you do that)," they warned.

Helpful advice from Kintamayama

Finally back on the net, thanks for the info. I'll be there tomorrow (on the 25th). If you're there yourself, feel free to hunt me down, and I'll buy you a beverage of your choice. (Sign of approval...)

I look like this, I'm 190 cm tall, and in the company of my 185 cm tall wife. You should be able to pick me out... ;-)

Much outside keiko was done by sekitori today in a field on the banks of Lake Biwa (where the famous kids' show "Leaw it to Biwa" was shot back in the day), just outside the local stadium. Kisenosato and many Juryo rikishi took part in the fun. After training on the dohyo inside the stadium, many went outside and continued training there. Toyonoshima was happy. "This brings back memories.. Lately, there are less mountains(??). It makes for a really good scene..," he observed, as he lent his chest to Takarafuji. The fans were thoroughly enjoying it, calling out the rikishis' names with gleeful aplomb.

Aplomb:

f-sp-101024-w-0001-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Helpful advice from Kintamayama

Finally back on the net, thanks for the info. I'll be there tomorrow (on the 25th). If you're there yourself, feel free to hunt me down, and I'll buy you a beverage of your choice. (Sign of approval...)

I look like this, I'm 190 cm tall, and in the company of my 185 cm tall wife. You should be able to pick me out... ;-)

Regretfully, I will be elsewhere.. Rain check?

Well, I found the place and saw my first live sumo, yay! Here are some selected photos from the day. I'm by no means a sumo expert, so some of the photos are 'add your own caption'-type.

I can tell you that Baruto fought Kotooshu. It looked like a one of them tried to henka the other, but it was hard to tell from my viewpoint. Then they spent about 30 s at the belt before Baruto got Kotooshu turned around and easily forced him out.

Hakuho fought Harumafuji, and he was flawless. Immediately after the tachi-ai he lifted Harumafuji very high and leasurely carried him out of the ring to gently set him down.

My pictures can be seen here.

For the last two days in Otsu, Hakuhou made Gagamaru his bitch chose to train with Gagamaru, lending him his chest (with interest) and going 14-0. "I wanted to train with someone heavy (202 kilos). I did good keiko with the Ozekis yesterday, and it became my kind of keiko..," said the Yokozuna. "If I intend to go higher, I have to do this kind of keiko. The Yokozuna knows how to take advantage of his rivals' strength. I'd like to ask him to continue this tomorrow," said a gratefully thankful Gagamaru.

GagaO- "I'll start from out here.."

f-sp-101025-w-0002-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Ozeki Harumafuji injured his right shoulder two days ago and has left the jungyo and returned to Tokyo. Diagnosis- right rotator cuff injury causing him to not be able to raise his right arm-three weeks rest. "When I awoke I couldn't raise my right arm. It's a partial dislocation," he said. The worry now is that this might become a "habit", says the reporter.

The jungyo is in Okayama today. Hakuhou trained with Baruto and at one point was pushed to the edge, where he picked Baruto up and won by utchari. "The utchari just sprouted . It's the first time I ever did that..," he said. Futabayama of yore used to do a lot of utcharis before he became Yokozuna. Hakuhou has never done it during honbasho yet. He also had 9 bouts with Tochiouzan and ended 8-1 against him, continuing to take on the "lively ones", after going against Kisenosato yesterday. "My physical condition is becoming good and I've had a good two days of keiko with a lot of sweat. Slowly but Shirley, huh?" he said.

O3 bows as Kotoshougiku shows signs of remorse for closing down his blog without discussing it with us first and Wakanohou returns from the past to pick his nose:

T-f-P20101027-sp-hakuhou-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Ozeki Harumafuji injured his right shoulder two days ago and has left the jungyo and returned to Tokyo. Diagnosis- right rotator cuff injury causing him to not be able to raise his right arm-three weeks rest. "When I awoke I couldn't raise my right arm. It's a partial dislocation," he said. The worry now is that this might become a "habit", says the reporter.

this hurts!!! many years ago my grandparents came to Japan to help me move to my current house. while moving something he reinjured his rotator cuff. He was in pain until he left since he wanted to help me get moved and not spend time trying to go to the hospital. The first time he tore it he was doing nothing serious but it never healed correctly. After injuring himself again in Japan he was never 100% again. Sure he was older than Harumafuji but still.. ouch! So it looks like he'll miss the first half of the basho. I wonder if he'll stay out the entire time or what??

He also had 9 bouts with Tochiouzan and ended 8-1 against him

Hakuhou was caught by surprise at the beginning by falling to Tochiouzan's tsukiotoshi. His face tightened, eyes becoming tiny slits.. He commenced brutalizing Tochiouzan, throwing him down and pushing him out way off the dohyo with great vigor and conviction no doubt. "Starting off with a tsukiotoshi?? I wanted him to push!," explained the Yokozuna. "He showed some strong thrusting here and there.. He always had that power," Hakuhou added later, praising O3.

"See that cameltoe??"

20101027-367474-1-L.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Futabayama of yore used to do a lot of utcharis before he became Yokozuna. Hakuhou has never done it during honbasho yet.

And we're unlikely to see it from him anytime soon, seeing as how it's a desperation throw from a rikishi on the brink of defeat...

So it looks like he'll miss the first half of the basho. I wonder if he'll stay out the entire time or what??

I think he'll be there from the start and gaman his way through.

Yesterday-Shimane. Hakuhou had 10 bouts-first three against Gagamaru, then 7 against Tochiouzan again, winning them all. "He's the closest one to Ozeki right now, and I expect him to repeat his record (11 wins) from last basho..," said Hakuhou. Two more jungyo days. "I feel I will be entering Kyushu in good shape!" he summed.

Today it was Hiroshima and Hakuhou's "victim of the day" was Yoshikaze. Although he did lose a couple, the difference in ability was apparent (15-2). "It's not that he has a large body but his strength is in his speed. It was good keiko,"said the Yokozuna. Yoshikaze, who did some butsugari with the Yokozuna as well, felt his "love" and was totally out of breath. "The Yokozuna wasn't even breathing hard.. I was really frantic..," he said.

Hakuhou to Tokitenkuu: "Finish him off and get rid of the body.."

f-sp101029-w-0002-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Aki jungyo wrap-up- Hakuhou had 9 bouts against Yoshikaze and won them all. "We went to many different places and I faced many different rikishi. I sweated some good sweat.. I am tired in a good way. That's the most important thing!" he declared. He seems ready for Kyushu and the task at hand.

Hakuhou faces the fans:

f-sp-101030-w-0002-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Hakuho is a one-man PR triumph for the Kyokai.

Edit: And thank you Kintamayama for continuing to provide these updates!

Edited by kotoeikoku