Sign in to follow this  
Doitsuyama

Day 11 results and day 12 pairings

Just like two days ago Kaio beat an ozeki, this time Harumafuji with sakatottari, while the other two ozeki had surprising losses. Hakuba delivered a henka from which Kotooshu couldn't recover, leading to a yorikiri win and a 7-4 record for the Mongolian, a nice rebound after the 4-11 komusubi debut last basho. Baruto also fell to a Mongolian as Kakuryu established a quick morozashi and continued with a perfect sotogake on Baruto's bad knee. Komusubi Kakuryu enjoys his return to sanyaku after three maegashira basho and at 7-4 with only M2w and lower ranked opponents he is very likely to notch just his fourth kachi-koshi in 13 basho in the joi-jin ranks.

Yokozuna Hakuho beat Aran with the sole uwatenage (or shitatenage) in the sekitori ranks today and now enjoys a two win lead over Kotooshu, Yoshikaze and Takekaze. Sekiwake Tochiozan had no difficulties to clinch the kachi-koshi against Aminishiki to make it a successful sekiwake debut basho. Tamawashi had a 0-3 start, but won eight consecutive bouts since then, and is kashi-koshi already. There was a second sakatottari in makuuchi today as Toyozakura saved his bout against a dominant Kakizoe.

Miyabiyama had another loss in juryo, this time to Okinoumi who admittedly should be in makuuchi as well. Goeido now is the only one at 9-2, but still two wins behind yusho leader Toyonoshima who beat Tamanoshima today. Shin-juryo Shironoryu already is kachi-koshi, beating fellow Mongolian Shotenro, while Chinese Nakanokuni is make-koshi despite his win against Jumonji today.

Day 11

Juryo

J8w	Sadanofuji (7-4)	oshidashi	  J10e   Asofuji (6-5)
J12e   Nakanokuni (3-8)	kubinage	   J7e	Jumonji (3-8)
J6e	Wakakoyu (5-6)	  hikiotoshi	 J10w   Sagatsukasa (3-8)
J14e   Ryuho (6-5)		 oshidashi	  J5w	Sadanoumi (4-7)
J11w   Shironoryu (8-3)	oshidashi	  J5e	Shotenro (6-5)
J12w   Takarafuji (7-4)	oshidashi	  J4w	Tamaasuka (5-6)
J4e	Kaisei (5-6)		yorikiri	   J13e   Tochinowaka (4-7)
J3w	Toyohibiki (5-6)	yorikiri	   J9w	Hoshikaze (6-5)
J9e	Tokushinho (2-9)	oshidashi	  J2w	Wakatenro (4-7)
J8e	Okinoumi (7-4)	  yorikiri	   J2e	Miyabiyama (8-3)
J1w	Toyonoshima (11-0)  katasukashi	J6w	Tamanoshima (6-5)
J1e	Goeido (9-2)		oshidashi	  J7w	Sakaizawa (7-4)

Makuuchi

J3e	Hochiyama (4-7)	 hatakikomi	 M16w   Tosanoumi (1-10)
M17e   Toyozakura (5-6)	sakatottari	M15w   Kakizoe (3-8)
M15e   Gagamaru (7-4)	  yorikiri	   M13w   Sokokurai (5-6)
M14e   Tochinonada (7-4)   tsukiotoshi	M11e   Kotokasuga (5-6)
M10w   Shimotori (6-5)	 yorikiri	   M12e   Koryu (2-9)
M10e   Hokutoriki (4-7)	hatakikomi	 M16e   Kyokunankai (4-7)
M13e   Kasugao (5-6)	   kotenage	   M9w	Bushuyama (4-7)
M14w   Tamawashi (8-3)	 oshidashi	  M9e	Kimurayama (7-4)
M12w   Takekaze (9-2)	  uwatedashinage M8e	Kokkai (7-4)
M7e	Kitataiki (6-5)	 oshidashi	  M7w	Tosayutaka (5-6)
M11w   Yoshikaze (9-2)	 sukuinage	  M6w	Asasekiryu (6-5)

M4e	Tokusegawa (4-7)	yoritaoshi	 M3e	Kotoshogiku (7-4)
M2e	Homasho (4-7)	   yorikiri	   M6e	Mokonami (3-8)
M1w	Wakanosato (2-9)	tsukiotoshi	M5e	Takamisakari (2-9)
M3w	Kyokutenho (3-8)	yorikiri	   M1e	Tokitenku (1-10)
K1e	Kisenosato (4-7)	tsukiotoshi	M2w	Tochinoshin (6-5)
S1w	Tochiozan (8-3)	 oshidashi	  M4w	Aminishiki (6-5)
M5w	Hakuba (7-4)		yorikiri	   O1w	Kotooshu (9-2)
O2w	Kaio (6-5)		  sakatottari	O1e	Harumafuji (6-5)
K1w	Kakuryu (7-4)	   sotogake	   O2e	Baruto (8-3)
Y1e	Hakuho (11-0)	   uwatenage	  S1e	Aran (4-7)

Day 12

Juryo

J10e   Asofuji (6-5)					  J10w   Sagatsukasa (3-8)
J7e	Jumonji (3-8)					  J9e	Tokushinho (2-9)
J6e	Wakakoyu (5-6)					 J13e   Tochinowaka (4-7)
J5e	Shotenro (6-5)					 J6w	Tamanoshima (6-5)
J12w   Takarafuji (7-4)				   J5w	Sadanoumi (4-7)
J4e	Kaisei (5-6)					   J14e   Ryuho (6-5)
J8w	Sadanofuji (7-4)				   J4w	Tamaasuka (5-6)
J3e	Hochiyama (4-7)					J12e   Nakanokuni (3-8)
J8e	Okinoumi (7-4)					 J3w	Toyohibiki (5-6)
J2e	Miyabiyama (8-3)				   J7w	Sakaizawa (7-4)
J1e	Goeido (9-2)					   J9w	Hoshikaze (6-5)
J11w   Shironoryu (8-3)				   J1w	Toyonoshima (11-0)

Makuuchi

J2w	Wakatenro (4-7)					M16w   Tosanoumi (1-10)
M13e   Kasugao (5-6)					  M17e   Toyozakura (5-6)
M12e   Koryu (2-9)						M14e   Tochinonada (7-4)
M11e   Kotokasuga (5-6)				   M15w   Kakizoe (3-8)
M13w   Sokokurai (5-6)					M11w   Yoshikaze (9-2)
M12w   Takekaze (9-2)					 M10w   Shimotori (6-5)
M8e	Kokkai (7-4)					   M14w   Tamawashi (8-3)
M7e	Kitataiki (6-5)					M16e   Kyokunankai (4-7)
M15e   Gagamaru (7-4)					 M7w	Tosayutaka (5-6)
M6e	Mokonami (3-8)					 M9w	Bushuyama (4-7)
M5e	Takamisakari (2-9)				 M10e   Hokutoriki (4-7)

M9e	Kimurayama (7-4)				   M5w	Hakuba (7-4)
M3e	Kotoshogiku (7-4)				  M6w	Asasekiryu (6-5)
M1e	Tokitenku (1-10)				   M2e	Homasho (4-7)
M4e	Tokusegawa (4-7)				   M1w	Wakanosato (2-9)
K1e	Kisenosato (4-7)				   M3w	Kyokutenho (3-8)
M2w	Tochinoshin (6-5)				  K1w	Kakuryu (7-4)
O2e	Baruto (8-3)					   M4w	Aminishiki (6-5)
S1w	Tochiozan (8-3)					O1w	Kotooshu (9-2)
O1e	Harumafuji (6-5)				   S1e	Aran (4-7)
Y1e	Hakuho (11-0)					  O2w	Kaio (6-5)

According to the great Doitsubase, there's never been a day with more than one sakatottari before.

According to Jiji News (and I imagine the Doitsubase would confirm it if I weren't too lazy to use it), the Toyozakura/Kakizoe match was the first occurrence of sakatottari in Makunouchi in 15 years.

According to Jiji News (and I imagine the Doitsubase would confirm it if I weren't too lazy to use it), the Toyozakura/Kakizoe match was the first occurrence of sakatottari in Makunouchi in 15 years.

Here it be.

(and I imagine the Doitsubase would confirm it if I weren't too lazy to use it)

Indeed. Not seen in makuuchi since Daishi beat Misugisato in May 1995. Interestingly there were two seen in the same tournament in May '94, as in this one (not on the same day though!).

Komusubi Kakuryu enjoys his return to sanyaku after three maegashira basho and at 7-4 with only M2w and lower ranked opponents he is very likely to notch just his fourth kachi-koshi in 13 basho in the joi-jin ranks.

In fairness, he started out with 4 MK straight which isn't unusual for somebody who (at the time) was still only an elevator guy. Since establishing himself in the joi he's 68-63 in those tournaments, even with the majority of makekoshi. (Kisenosato's at 64-67 in his last 8-and-change joi appearances...)

Y1e Hakuho (11-0) O2w Kaio (6-5)

Can he do it? Kaiouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

I was angry with Kotooshu's loss. How could he not see a henka coming? Embarrassing stuff for someone of his rank.

It's frustrating to see Osh fall for it yes, but I'm more pissed off at Hakuba for continuing to resort to these cowardly henkas. He's the real embarrassment.

Last Basho I praised Tokushinho for his developing and now he is hardly winning at all. This time I am not following Juryo but I assume it is not very good, not as good Kaisei who is keeping his head above the water albeit a very hard slate assigned to him.

As far as Makuuchi is concerned, it is good to see Tamawashi finally delivering. He seems like an elevator rikishi at the best of his game. Kotokasuga calls our attention. He is no true talent but goes at every bout well and survives Makuuchi with a bunch of solid displays. Tochinonada takes advantage from the many guys pretty worse than his old and battered self to approach his first top flight kachi-koshi in a year and a half. Truly self-aware rikishi. And even 33-year old Kasugao see the 8 ahead. Koryu is far from what I thought he would have become by now. Kimurayama, on the other hand, is improved.

Last Basho I praised Tokushinho for his developing and now he is hardly winning at all. This time I am not following Juryo but I assume it is not very good, not as good Kaisei who is keeping his head above the water albeit a very hard slate assigned to him.

As far as Makuuchi is concerned, it is good to see Tamawashi finally delivering. He seems like an elevator rikishi at the best of his game. Kotokasuga calls our attention. He is no true talent but goes at every bout well and survives Makuuchi with a bunch of solid displays. Tochinonada takes advantage from the many guys pretty worse than his old and battered self to approach his first top flight kachi-koshi in a year and a half. Truly self-aware rikishi. And even 33-year old Kasugao see the 8 ahead. Koryu is far from what I thought he would have become by now. Kimurayama, on the other hand, is improved.

I have really been enjoying Tochinonada's sumo. He has really rolled back the years this basho!

I have really been enjoying Tochinonada's sumo. He has really rolled back the years this basho!

And still his trademark left shitate failed more often than it worked. (at least when I was watching)

Still I can't shake the feeling it's only going to end in a 3-12 and another demotion next basho... He looks motivated, for sure, but similar to Jakusotsu's observation it all looks a bit smoke-and-mirrory to me.

That's all very likely, but it's nice to see him enjoying his sumo again, even if it is just one last time.