Sign in to follow this  
Yubiquitoyama

About Sumo information pond

I see a sumo information pond has been started by the new management. Nice (Laughing...)

I can understand why it's not possible to reply to those posts, since I assume rijicho wants to keep it "clean", but could there still be some way to contribute or add to what is written there? Through rijicho or by being "permitted" to write some reply?

Why I ask this is just because I wanted to add that the term "ichidai toshiyori", while used for the one-generation toshiyori held by Takanohana, Kitanoumi, Taiho and offered to Chiyonofuji, is a rather generic term and is used in Japan (as far as I understand) for every one-generation toshiyori. Not only those expiring at retirement age (mentioned above), but also for those expiring earlier, as the 5-year toshiyori given to newly-retired Yokozuna during which time they have to get an ordinary toshiyori.

It's not entirely obvious whether the jun-toshiyori system is still in use either, after the borrowing was re-introduced, since no one is actually using a jun-toshiyori right now.

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

but could there still be some way to contribute or add to what is written there? Through rijicho or by being "permitted" to write some reply?

Definitely! Baby steps still and lot of open elements but of course permissions will be given. I can give moderator rights to people who have an addition/correction etc. so they can then edit the message as they wish. In my opinion it would be much better if there are no more than one message in each topic because if there are replies, the compactness vanishes. Hence editing the initial message is the priority.

Why I ask this is just because I wanted to add that the term "ichidai toshiyori", while used for the one-generation toshiyori held by Takanohana, Kitanoumi, Taiho and offered to Chiyonofuji, is a rather generic term and is used in Japan (as far as I understand) for every one-generation toshiyori. Not only those expiring at retirement age (mentioned above), but also for those expiring earlier, as the 5-year toshiyori given to newly-retired Yokozuna during which time they have to get an ordinary toshiyori.

It's not entirely obvious whether the jun-toshiyori system is still in use either, after the borrowing was re-introduced, since no one is actually using a jun-toshiyori right now

Excellent (Laughing...)

I can add those there and will get back to you with the access to edit the stuff yourself in the future when needed.

Living as far away from the source as possible, I'm afraid I won't be able to contribute much to this new subforum. But I do want to tell you that I think it is a great idea, and I'll probably use it quite often. Thank you Rijicho! ;-) (Sign of approval)

the term "ichidai toshiyori", while used for the one-generation toshiyori held by Takanohana, Kitanoumi, Taiho and offered to Chiyonofuji, is a rather generic term and is used in Japan (as far as I understand) for every one-generation toshiyori. Not only those expiring at retirement age (mentioned above), but also for those expiring earlier, as the 5-year toshiyori given to newly-retired Yokozuna during which time they have to get an ordinary toshiyori.

well... no, you don't call a mere "moto-yokozuna oyakata" ichidai-toshiyori even

when he's "( shikona )-Oyakata" for the 5 years after retirement..

I think this pond is a good idea. But I don't like it's placement above ozumo and honbasho discussions: those are very frequently accessed by the majority of the visitors to the forum. The pond should be below them IMHO.

the term "ichidai toshiyori", while used for the one-generation toshiyori held by Takanohana, Kitanoumi, Taiho and offered to Chiyonofuji, is a rather generic term and is used in Japan (as far as I understand) for every one-generation toshiyori. Not only those expiring at retirement age (mentioned above), but also for those expiring earlier, as the 5-year toshiyori given to newly-retired Yokozuna during which time they have to get an ordinary toshiyori.

well... no, you don't call a mere "moto-yokozuna oyakata" ichidai-toshiyori even

when he's "( shikona )-Oyakata" for the 5 years after retirement..

I stand corrected (Laughing...)

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

I think this pond is a good idea. But I don't like it's placement above ozumo and honbasho discussions: those are very frequently accessed by the majority of the visitors to the forum. The pond should be below them IMHO.

I agree. The new category has all the makings of becoming really great, but the frequently (daily, by many) accessed Ozumo area should remain the top-listed one, IMO.

POND is now beneath the Ozumo Discussion's category.

I have added Foreigners in Ozumo-thread there now but it is still unfinished. No pictures yet and Kotooshu and Kasugao are two essential rikishi missing for now. It is damn lot of work to complile such stuff I know but I would like to ask for voluntares for taking responseblility of various theme-threads.

I have already gotten a green light from Zenjimoto regarding sumo games thread there. After all Zenjimoto is the pine marten of all sumogame freaks I think and he enjoys advertising his games without discriminating other game administrator's games either (Laughing...)

One huge topic is naturally sumo statistics. There are stat gurus here so would you be interested in creating a "Sumo statistics"-thread there? It would mean a compilation of best web sources for various stats etc. I also had an idea of gathering a 30 frequently asked individual questions in the thread too which would be answered too of course. These questions would handle basic level statistical questions that many sumofans who are not in general that much into statistics would like to know and often ponder about.

Questions like:

What is the longest winning streak in sumo?

How has most kinboshi?

How are the heaviest rikishi? Shortest rikishi?

When was the last time 15-0 yusho was achieved in juryo?

Who has most makuuchi yusho?

Who has most juryo yusho?

Who had the longest career?

Who has most consecutive makuuchi tournaments?

How many former ozeki have dropped to juryo and carried on?

How long have there been 6 bashos per year?

Who has most sansho?

How has most basho n Juryo?

etc. etc.

But in general if some stat gurus would like to make a thread about sumo stats, it would be awesome, benevolent and brilliant. You have huge experience in unearthing data, you know where it is, what are good reliable sites , you understand the data problems and the souls of data etc.

No hurry and if there are many willing members, you can just let me know who you are and I will give permission to write on the subforum and then you can freely do whatever you wish in the thread. All I ask is that there are no replies, only editing and formulating the initial message. Some moderator rights there should enable that. And you can just make the thread as group work or in any way you wish.

Concerning the Foreigners in Ozumo, there are bound to be mistakes, bad omissions etc. and I am sure many would have good ideas for additions there so please write here whatever you find annoying, errorneous, lacking in the thread!

Kotooshu and Kasugao will be covered and Takanoyama gets more coverage too in the near future.

Edited by Rijicho

Dont forget the new Tongan star Minaminoshima in the foreignors post

Foreigners in ozumo has been updated. In addition to correcting couple of mistakes in already existent part, Kotooshu section has been added and many pictures of some of the foreigners. Kasugao is still missing but will be added in the future as well as Tongan Minaminoshima. There will also be a chapter explaining the so called "closet foreigners"-concept in the near future.

If someone has a good representitive pictures of the rikishi whose picture is not in the thread, you can post the pictures on Sumo Pictures-thread from where they are easily harvested.

New updates. Kintamayama has kindly written a little article on closet foreigners. It has now been added to Foreigners in Ozumo-thread! Take a look. Interesting stuff.

Also Hakuho-picture has been added and also one big Kotooshu-picture.