Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Et Tu, Haruma?

A magazine well known for its aggressive paparazzi, (Bi-)Weekly Flash, says in this week's issue to be published on August 17, it will have a photo showing Ozeki Harumafuji and an executive member of prominent organized crime group, taken at a golf club.

Koichiro Mochizuki, Kyokai's chief legal counsel and member of its Independent Investigation Committee, declined to respond specifically to the photo other than saying, "As the issue in question is not published yet, we will not make a specific comment at this point. Once it is published, we will review it and decide on our course of action".

Edited by Jonosuke

The Kyokai's Special Investigation Committee Chairman Shigeru Ito, Waseda University Professor, released a preliminary finding by his committee on an Weekly Flash magazine article, "Relationship between Ozeki Harumafuji and Organized Crime Group Executive".

According to the story, organized crime group executive participated in a golf event sponsored by Isegahama Beya in May two years ago and took a photo with the heya's Ozeki Harumafuji marking the occasion.

The Committee talked to Isegahama oykata (former Yokozuna Asahifuji) and as a result of the conversation concluded the following:

- The photo was taken at the golf event sponsored by the heya

- No special relationship between the oyakata or the ozeki and the organized crime group executive exists

- Isegahama oyakata denies any relationship with known organized crime groups

The committee also requested to the magazine editor to provide further information dealing with the individual identified as an organized crime group executive.

According to Isegahama oyakata, the event was participated by around 200 people, either the members of the heya's Supporter Club or those having connections with the group. At the moment the heya is trying to find out how the individual came to attend the event.

Somehow it seems to me that there are "members of organized crime groups" everywhere in Japan, playing golf, watching sumo and having a great time. They are well known for being criminal and you should not be seen with them but it's ok that they are around everywhere. (I am not worthy...)

I seem to have mentioned this in numerous threads...

They are everywhere, assimilating smoothly into Japanese society. Whether you know WHO they are or not you rub elbows on purpose or by accident.

The only thing Rikishi & Oyakata can do is stop having any type of fund raising golf tournaments, senshuraku parties and the like... because they never know who turns up.

Certainly they should not take pictures anymore with anyone except each other....

Certainly they should not take pictures anymore with anyone except each other....

And you, unless there's something you need to tell us. (I am not worthy...)

Also, while it's probably reasonably common knowledge who the local crime lords in your area are (i.e. the middle-tier guys running things where your stable is situated), it seems like rikishi and oyakata are suddenly expected to recognize and avoid every random yakuza bigshot in the entire Tokyo metroplex, not to mention Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka and every jungyo destination. It's not like only the finger-missing guy from next door will show up to those senshuraku parties...

And you, unless there's something you need to tell us. ;-)

Also, while it's probably reasonably common knowledge who the local crime lords in your area are (i.e. the middle-tier guys running things where your stable is situated), it seems like rikishi and oyakata are suddenly expected to recognize and avoid every random yakuza bigshot in the entire Tokyo metroplex, not to mention Osaka, Nagoya, Fukuoka and every jungyo destination. It's not like only the finger-missing guy from next door will show up to those senshuraku parties...

If I was a rikishi or oyakata I wouldn't take a picture with anyone... even a child because that child could be the child of ..... crime lord's second cousin... (I am not worthy...)

Maybe the Police need to start having local briefings at the kokugikan with mug shot books of all yakuza members so everyone can study their faces...

If I was a rikishi or oyakata I wouldn't take a picture with anyone... even a child because that child could be the child of ..... crime lord's second cousin... (I am not worthy...)

That's not a good idea. It will cause much more harm than good. Right now, sumo needs all the positive public relations it can get. Denying the right of fans to be photographed with their favorite rikishis destroys an excellent way of getting some very good PR. The benefits of having the public being seen with their sumo heroes far outweigh the risk of having an occasional shady character appearing in the same photo with a rikishi. A photograph in and of itself without any further explanation is absolutely meaningless. And if there does happen to be an explanation and it isn't true, the photo becomes worthless.

Practicality and common sense are good. Paranoia is not.

That's not a good idea. It will cause much more harm than good. Right now, sumo needs all the positive public relations it can get. Denying the right of fans to be photographed with their favorite rikishis destroys an excellent way of getting some very good PR. The benefits of having the public being seen with their sumo heroes far outweigh the risk of having an occasional shady character appearing in the same photo with a rikishi. A photograph in and of itself without any further explanation is absolutely meaningless. And if there does happen to be an explanation and it isn't true, the photo becomes worthless.

Practicality and common sense are good. Paranoia is not.

sorry, I think you missed the point/my writing wasn't what clear. I mean it as a sarcastic joke because they can't stop parties, fund raisers, etc...

As it has been for 100s of years or whatever there will be yakuza around somewhere, someone will take a picture or be spotted at that party and the media will keep bringing it up. I mean poor Harumafuji this was couple years ago.. he doesn't remember that guy or probably even the golf tourney itself.

Unless the police start bringing photos of the yakuza to make the kyokai people study it will be impossible for them to know who is who so they just have to take their chances...

Apparently in my experience the yakuza aren't going anywhere so unless the police round them all up they will pop up at these events, dinners, parties...

The funny thing is the only people who can recognize which ones are yakuza are the police and apparently the media.. not anyone else!!! ;-)

Edited by Kotoviki

Somehow it seems to me that there are "members of organized crime groups" everywhere in Japan, playing golf, watching sumo and having a great time. They are well known for being criminal and you should not be seen with them but it's ok that they are around everywhere. (I am not worthy...)

Couldn't agree more. I don't understand the fact that everybody in Japan seem to know ACTIVE ORGANIZED CRIME people. Why they are not arrested if everybody knows that what they are doing is criminal. To accuse someone criminal needs really substantial proof. If the proof is there why don't they arrest, or start criminal investigation? I know almost every mafia members in the west went hiding, or under surveillance. One wrong move, they are framed and caught. FBI even deliberately organize sting operations to frame them once and for all. Japan seem to have recognized their yakuza as prominent member of their society. Then why bother.

The Committee talked to Isegahama oykata (former Yokozuna Asahifuji) and as a result of the conversation concluded the following:

- The photo was taken at the golf event sponsored by the heya

- No special relationship between the oyakata or the ozeki and the organized crime group executive exists

- Isegahama oyakata denies any relationship with known organized crime groups

I've decided to post my comment on this issue in the form of a song, which can be heard here:

http://iida.jp/calling/#514895

(It's Friday night, I'm in a silly mood (I am not worthy...) )