Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

KaioU injured

KaioU injured his left shoulder while attempting a throw against Kotooushuu today, losing eventually. "It feels numb at the moment. I can only try to put some ice on it for now . I won't be going to the hospital. We'll see if it hurts in the morning,", he said.

Well, he needs one more KK to make it to Kyushu (unless he wants to make his last stand as a sekiwake) Does he go kyujo now to avoid making it worse, or does he try to eek out two more wins so he can sit out Aki? Or does he just gaman through everything regardless?

Edited by Peterao

Well, he needs one more KK to make it to Kyushu (unless he wants to make his last stand as a sekiwake) Does he go kyujo now to avoid making it worse, or does he try to eek out two more wins so he can sit out Aki? Or does he just gaman through everything regardless?

I think he can count on the nakama to come to the rescue, as usual.

I don't wanna be "uncorrect" but I've thought: It was the time! Every rikishi fights against Kaio is too respectful and try to win in classic technic only. Now, finally, I've seen a pure Nage against him. An honest, not politically correct kimarite. It was the time! (Sign of approval...)

Good luck for Kaio's check up. I hope to see him on the Dohyo, tomorrow.

Edited by Pippooshu

Are you implying that these are usual times?

Are you implying that these are usual times?

No rest for the weary.

I heard the injury is nothing to worry about...especially since the other ozeki have been diagnosed with mild cases of back scratch fever. (Sign of approval...)

I heard the injury is nothing to worry about...especially since the other ozeki have been diagnosed with mild cases of back scratch fever. (Sign of approval...)

The other ozeki just made a rapid recovery, as Kaio is kyujo from today.

Now this will be interesting... with Kaio out, how many people will take the Kyokai up on their offer of unconditional refunds?

Edited by Peterao

Now this will be interesting... with Kaio out, how many people will take the Kyokai up on their offer of unconditional refunds?

Did I miss where it says he is kyujo?

He can barely use the left arm. It was even said an operation would be an option but KaioU says no as there is not enough time before Aki basho. Evidently a bad enough muscle tear at the shoulder area. That silly "2 weeks to total recovery" statement is there as usual but naturally 2 months is closer to truth and if it is bad rotator cuff tear, the arm will be quite weak for a long time and given the earlier injuries, it certainly doesn't look promising when it comes to Aki basho and career continuation. "Somehow I want to make it to Aki basho" says KaioU and doesn't seem that convinced himself.

Did I miss where it says he is kyujo?

No. In fact, you just quoted it.

Or just pick any Japanese news outlet to verify for yourself.

I must say I'm shocked. I really thought he'd battle through it. Sounds like it is going to be an uphill battle to get 8 without more help than seems to be available these days. If he falls through to sekiwake I bet he'll still go to Kyushuubasho for farewall, err farewell.

Not only none of his friends came to his rescue but basically they killed him and deserted him so we can only conclude he has reached the end of road if we can go by the theory.

Not only none of his friends came to his rescue but basically they killed him and deserted him so we can only conclude he has reached the end of road if we can go by the theory.

Kotooushuu was still technically in the yusho race-yusho race beats nakama. I was referring to the rest of the nakama who don't have a yusho on the line, and you can hide your head in the sand as much as you like, but I betcha he would have gotten those two wins.

We'll never know now, though.

He has definitely reached the end of the road this time.

I think.

He has definitely reached the end of the road this time.

I think.

"Prediction is difficult - especially of Kaio." (Mark Twain)

I've lost count. How many Kyushu Basho have been declared Kaio's last hoorah so far?

Kotooushuu was still technically in the yusho race-yusho race beats nakama. I was referring to the rest of the nakama who don't have a yusho on the line, and you can hide your head in the sand as much as you like, but I betcha he would have gotten those two wins.

If I recall correctly, Wakanohana was 7-3 in his last full basho before suffering an injury. Yet not one of the five remaining "friends" saw fit to spare him the embarrassment of a yokozuna makekoshi, and a much worse type of kadoban.

But of course, the past reports of Kaio's demise have all been greatly exaggerated...

If I recall correctly, Wakanohana was 7-3 in his last full basho before suffering an injury. Yet not one of the five remaining "friends" saw fit to spare him the embarrassment of a yokozuna makekoshi, and a much worse type of kadoban.

How right you are-those were the days. And still, some members think this "current shameful club" is all in our minds..

How right you are-those were the days. And still, some members think this "current shameful club" is all in our minds..

Then why wouldn't Kaio tape up the shoulder, go out there and let two of his friends slip on banana peels, and then go kyujo?

Chances are his remaining schedule would have been Harumafuji, Homasho, Kakuryu, Kisenosato. The logical outcome would have been a win over Harumafuji (who then beats Baruto and Kotooshu for his needed two wins*), then one more in the other three bouts (for which a healthy Kaio arguably needs no help).

* Oh never mind, I briefly forgot the foreign ozeki don't do that kinda thing absent the Sadogatake peer pressure... :-)

I've lost count. How many Kyushu Basho have been declared Kaio's last hoorah so far?

Continuously since 2005, I think, so this will be #6.

Well, Wakanohana violated the unspoken accord that injured yokozuna don't stay in the basho for ego reasons, so he pretty much had it coming. Facing two supposedly also-gachinko Musashigawa guys at the very end (the last one the yusho leader) probably also didn't help. The first three guys probably all didn't expect it would come to that, so nobody took a courtesy fall. (Only one of them was a fellow ozeki anyway, recent arrival Chiyotaikai.)

Anyway, nobody's taking any courtesy falls for a 7-3 Kaio, either, so that's not really surprising. That's always the risk; if you're unlucky, the decision gets delayed and delayed and then crunch time comes against opponents who won't (or can't) play along. That's arguably the neat thing about the ozeki club (and the main reason it exists): they know ahead of time that most of their internal matches will come at the end of the basho so there's no real need to plan ahead.

Edited by Asashosakari

True, how right you are, I don't know what's got into me doubting such an universally absolute acclaimed truth.

Must have been those chopped liver I ate last night.

I keep forgetting these exceptions to the rule like when it falls on their wedding anniversary, dentist appointment or son's bar mitzvah.

I know I am not Japanese but I don't get how faking contests -- for that is what we are talking about -- is apparently OK to help out Kaio, but betting on a game of cards in the heya is a mortal sin.

I know I am not Japanese but I don't get how faking contests -- for that is what we are talking about -- is apparently OK to help out Kaio, but betting on a game of cards in the heya is a mortal sin.

You've lost me with your post, in many ways.

1. Who is saying that Kaio doing yaocho is okay?

2. Who is saying that betting on a game of cards in the heya is a mortal sin? Have any rikishi been punished for doing that? I think all of the rikishi that were punished were for illegal baseball gambling, and that was more for the connections to yakuza than for the gambling itself.

3. How are these two things related at all? You might as well be asking "Why is it okay to not tip a waiter in Japan, yet not okay for a woman to go topless on the beach?" They are two different things, ill-suited to comparison.

You yourself said: "Then why wouldn't Kaio tape up the shoulder, go out there and let two of his friends slip on banana peels, and then go kyujo?"

If that doesn't mean fix the contests then please explain what it DOES mean?

OK "mortal sin" was too strong but why would fixing bouts be less awful than socializing with shady characters? From any sporting point of view, fixes are the gravest possible sin.

You yourself said: "Then why wouldn't Kaio tape up the shoulder, go out there and let two of his friends slip on banana peels, and then go kyujo?"

If that doesn't mean fix the contests then please explain what it DOES mean?

You are quoting me out of context. I said that in response to Kintamayama's claim that Kaio had a guaranteed kachikoshi if he kept fighting. If that were the case, wouldn't you gut it out to see it through?

Does yaocho really exist? Probably. The biggest difference is that yaocho isn't in the news right now. If 60 rikishi had admitted publicly to match fixing, then the scandal would have been about that instead.

Current communication technology doesn't allow for things to be swept under the rug forever anymore. Ozumo needs to realize that and eliminate all the dark stuff, yaocho included. Coming clean with everything would be the first step.

Edited by Peterao