Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Takanohana- ties with underworld?

A breaking story- Takanohana went to Ehime to recruit a new deshi and had lunch with an underworld type. Police are looking into this. "I do not have any ties whatsoever with anyone from the underworld!" said Takanohana today to the press. On June 11th, Takanohana went to Ehime to look for new recruits and to promote sumo. In the evening, he had dinner with a junior high school potential recruit's parents and 14 other people, after watching some keiko. Apparently, one member of the party was a local underworld person. "I was with the kid's parents and others and I had no reason to believe anyone there was a gangster..", he explained.

I think this is getting a bit out of hand..

Well, if the Kyokai _were_ working with the underworld, then this is exactly the type of plausible deniability that you'd like to have...

Well, if the Kyokai _were_ working with the underworld, then this is exactly the type of plausible deniability that you'd like to have...

I don't think even you think the Kyokai was "working with the underworld". Takanohana doesn't know every guy in Ehime-maybe he is totally connected to the underworld, but in this case, it's so far fetched - someone tipped off the police indeed. If anything, it sounds like an internal revenge thing within the Kyokai.

This was big news today at the basho. This is what I've said elsewhere, everyone can't know who is or who isn't a gangster. While some may associate with them knowingly there are others who have no idea who they are. They do not walk around with signs on their neck or a branded notice on their cheeks saying they are with the underworld.

Takanohana may indeed have no idea who was who. Probably they didn't introduce him as "this is X-san he is the second in command of the XX gumi...

While some may associate with them knowingly there are others who have no idea who they are. They do not walk around with signs on their neck or a branded notice on their cheeks saying they are with the underworld.

Though some of them do have fewer digits than normal...

Is it true that some of the more obese members of the Japanese mob are affectionately called "Gumi Bears", or is it not?

Is it true that some of the more obese members of the Japanese mob are affectionately called "Gumi Bears", or is it not?

You know I thought so but maybe I should walk around and look for a man with a short pinky and ask him if it is so....

Jup. How do you call that in English? Summer hole? Press needs some stuff...

What is the difference between this and Yamaguchi-gumi's top guy attending Asashoryu's birthday party?

Though I don't doubt the story, all these lunch and dinner functions are not controlled by rikishi or oyakata. Since they are always organized by a prominent local "respectable" businessman we hear so often, it tells you a long standing history of Ozumo that among their promoters and supporters, there are people with connections with organized crime groups.

Perhaps if the Kyokai is serious about this sort of things, they will find more and more and more will become public. Either they will get to the bottom of all this or they will have to acknowledge these things will happen innocently, not directly involving rikishi or oyakata or more will become known and they will then have to cancel the next basho.

There are enough rumors abound such as some of the foreign born rikishi and their friendship with people suspected to be involved with Russian Maifa. The question is how much these will have any substance other than having casual acquaintance.

Jup. How do you call that in English? Summer hole? Press needs some stuff...

"Silly season" in the UK. There does seem to be a bit of news around today, but "Pink injured in fall off stage" and "Barbie 'signs up' to Foursquare" are near the top of one daily papers web site...

What is the difference between this and Yamaguchi-gumi's top guy attending Asashoryu's birthday party?

Though I don't doubt the story, all these lunch and dinner functions are not controlled by rikishi or oyakata. Since they are always organized by a prominent local "respectable" businessman we hear so often, it tells you a long standing history of Ozumo that among their promoters and supporters, there are people with connections with organized crime groups.

Perhaps if the Kyokai is serious about this sort of things, they will find more and more and more will become public. Either they will get to the bottom of all this or they will have to acknowledge these things will happen innocently, not directly involving rikishi or oyakata or more will become known and they will then have to cancel the next basho.

There are enough rumors abound such as some of the foreign born rikishi and their friendship with people suspected to be involved with Russian Maifa. The question is how much these will have any substance other than having casual acquaintance.

Pffff, cancel the next Basho........

they could shut the whole NSK down! And this is where the fXXXxx we are heading...

Panel probing bets to discuss Takanohana

The Japan Sumo Association's investigative panel on illegal gambling has said it will hold a meeting Friday at Ryogoku Kokugikan to draw a conclusion on Takanohana's alleged ties with mobsters, as reported by the media.

nn20100722a7a.jpg

In recent talks with the panel and acting association chief Hiroyoshi Murayama, Takanohana flatly denied both media reports that the former grand champion contacted a member of an underworld group in Ehime Prefecture in June and that he was with a different mobster in Kobe two years ago.

In February, Takanohana won a seat on the JSA board amid hopes that the 37-year-old former star would help to reform the scandal-hit sport.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20100722a7.html

Edited by Otokonoyama