Sign in to follow this  
Kotoviki

Minanosato Otsukaresamadeshita Kai (farewell yumitori party)

Tonight I took Scott (Washuyama) to a party held for Minanosato to thank him for his years of Yumitori and to introduce the new yumitori who starts his training this week. The current yumitori Chiyonohana will not be a regular and will go back to being the back up as soon as Shouho is trained. He will have to take over by January (as that is when Minanosato's time was officially up) but could take over sooner hopefully by September. Minanosato will train him from this week. He did a demo for us tonight, his first time ever to try it in front of anyone! I think he'll do fine!! He's eager to start training! Minanosato told him that me and my friends will be "cheering" for him during his yumitori time every day if he does a great job!

The party was held at the Ginza Star Hall and it was small and personal. We had a wonderful time, not one I or Scott will forget!!! The boys got my favorite gyoji Satoshi so drunk!! They enjoy doing that, he is so small and can't hold his liquor but tries to keep up with the other boys!

Good luck to our new yumitori Shouhou from Kasugayama beya!

Pictures from the party are in my facebook albums. Minanosato party pictures

My photos of the evening on facebook.

See Scott, easy to post the pics from facebook!! (Holiday feeling...)

Tonight I took Scott (Washuyama) to a party held for Minanosato to thank him for his years of Yumitori and to introduce the new yumitori who starts his training this week. The current yumitori Chiyonohana will not be a regular and will go back to being the back up as soon as Shouho is trained. He will have to take over by January (as that is when Minanosato's time was officially up) but could take over sooner hopefully by September.

Shouhou had his debut twirl today on day 2 of the summer jungyo. "I was right nervous and my knees were buckling. I just prayed I wouldn't drop the bow, and in the end, it was OK.. I don't know when I will be doing it during honbasho,", said Shouhou, 29, who is one of Hakuhou's tsukebito and belongs to Kasugayama beya.

cannot see any pix as my account is asleep ^^;

wasted too much time at Farmville etc.

cannot see any pix as my account is asleep ^^;

wasted too much time at Farmville etc.

Minanosato party

You can see them here Verena, it is a public link, nobody needs an account to view them!

Tonight I took Scott (Washuyama) to a party held for Minanosato to thank him for his years of Yumitori and to introduce the new yumitori who starts his training this week. The current yumitori Chiyonohana will not be a regular and will go back to being the back up as soon as Shouho is trained. He will have to take over by January (as that is when Minanosato's time was officially up) but could take over sooner hopefully by September.

Shouhou had his debut twirl today on day 2 of the summer jungyo. "I was right nervous and my knees were buckling. I just prayed I wouldn't drop the bow, and in the end, it was OK.. I don't know when I will be doing it during honbasho,", said Shouhou, 29, who is one of Hakuhou's tsukebito and belongs to Kasugayama beya.

I talked with him tonight on the phone. And yes, to me he said just about the exact same thing... Minanosato told me tonight that if the jungyo goes well Shoho will take over with Sept basho and Chiyonohana will go back to "the bench"

Thank you. :)

Great pix. Must have been big fun. :)

Thank you. :)

Great pix. Must have been big fun. :)

You're welcome!!! It was big fun!!! And it was very exclusive with less than 40 people so not such a big party that you couldn't talk to everyone you wanted to! Got some nice presents too!!

Got some nice presents too!!

You didn't steal the bow, did you?! :)

Actually that leads me to a question about the bow - does each (permanent) yumitori get his own bow, made to a specific length that will make it easier for him to perform the ceremony? Or do they all have to use the same one?

Got some nice presents too!!

You didn't steal the bow, did you?! :)

Actually that leads me to a question about the bow - does each (permanent) yumitori get his own bow, made to a specific length that will make it easier for him to perform the ceremony? Or do they all have to use the same one?

hehe.. I didn't steal the bow but I got to touch it!

I've never asked about the bow but I was assuming the bows are all the same length and I have no idea when they are replaced, maybe when they are worn out, broken? It is a good question so I'll have to ask next time I'm out with either the new yumitori or the old one.. (Weeping...)

It is a good question so I'll have to ask next time I'm out with either the new yumitori or the old one.. (Weeping...)

Thanks Viki, I'd appreciate that. :)