Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Oyakata acquire tickets for crime syndicate

I don't think even the new Onoe beya is ready to handle all the rikishi, Kitanoumi either. Kise is a big heya. What a shame that Kise beya is so new and gorgeous and Kitanoumi is old, cramped (they have tons of things lining the stairs from the 1st floor to the 4th so it is hard to walk up and down), it is dirty inside and the eating area is terribly old, an ideal situation would be to move Kitanoumi boys over to Kise beya builing and send half the kise boys to Onoe.... The sad thing is the kise boys work well together and are very close, it is a shame to split them up. Move the boys to Onoe, great that makes the other half of my cuties too far from Ryogoku to hang out with during the hon basho! (Shaking head...)

I was just thinking that at the Kise beya senshuraku party how happy everyone was, how friendly the Okami-san and Oyakata were to me. The Okami-san invited me to dinner....and she wanted to go to my nail salon with me to get sumo nails before the Nagoya basho. That was just last week but now it is ancient history! (Shaking head...)

Based on what we saw with the Isegahama and Oshiogawa stable successions I wouldn't be surprised if the eventual solution is something completely different from what's being circulated right now. I wonder if there's any affiliated oyakata in Dewanoumi-ichimon who might want to take over the stable altogether?

Edit: A blurb at Jiji additionally nominates Dewanoumi-beya as a potential destination.

Edit #2: Also from Jiji - 6 financial supporters have had their eligibility for ring-side seats cancelled by the Kyokai today.

Edit #3: And the morning report at Sports Hochi also throws the name of Irumagawa-beya into the hat. (Another shisho who, like Kise and Onoe and many Kise-beya rikishi, has a Nihon University background.) At any rate, it sounds like the ichimon will be trying their best to keep the entire group of rikishi together somehow. Incidentally, due to the tightened stable-founding regulations introduced since Kise-beya was created in 2003, Kise-oyakata will be barred from opening another stable for the foreseeable future as he does not fulfill the "must have been active in at least 60 makuuchi basho" rule in effect now.

Edited by Asashosakari

For example, in Germany, the "Hells Angels" and "Bandidos", two motorcycle clubs, have been discussed in the media recently. Its known theyre into organized crime, and most of their members are known, but you cant put them into jail just for membership.

Actually, you can. If an organization is rated as "criminal", membership is prohibited (

Well, those two motorcycle clubs arent officially rated as criminal yet...

I may not get it... but it seems to me that if they just took the heya away from Tokitsukaze who did something much worse and gave it to someone else then why not do the same with Kise. I mean tickets for the yakuza whether he knew it or not seems the lesser of an evil. There are many Dewanoumi ichimon oyakata who could take over the stable as it is!!!

I may not get it... but it seems to me that if they just took the heya away from Tokitsukaze who did something much worse and gave it to someone else then why not do the same with Kise. I mean tickets for the yakuza whether he knew it or not seems the lesser of an evil. There are many Dewanoumi ichimon oyakata who could take over the stable as it is!!!

Yes I agree, why not get someone else not currently in a shisho position to take over, and spare disrupting the lives and careers of the innocent rikishi any more than is already the case? They wouldn't have to meet the "60 basho in makuuchi" rule as the heya is already established. This seems such an obvious solution that, as Asashosakari suggests, I wouldn't be surprised if they go for that rather than the drastic and totally unncessary move of dissolving it altogther.

Edited by ryafuji

I remember an Interview with Izutsu Oyakata who said, that there are too many heya today, for the few beginners.

Way to get rid of one...

I remember an Interview with Izutsu Oyakata who said, that there are too many heya today, for the few beginners.

Way to get rid of one...

Well, Kise really isn't (wasn't?) one of the model heyas for bad rikishi development. Rather the opposite...

The decision about the Kise deshi and who goes where and how may be reached as early as tomorrow. Tomorrow is Dejima's danpatsushiki and the whole Ichimon will be at the KKan. Today, Kise Oyakata did not speak with any Kyokai members and one person from the heya said he is ill and confined to the heya. "We hope it will all be resolved tomorrow. I hope the oyakata and his deshi will reach a decision together," explained Musashigawa rijicho. For now, nothing has been decided, and Gagamaru, the certain new Makuuchi rikishi next basho, was seen on the heya's third floor porch raising his hands in the air gesturing that he has no idea what the heck is going on. "I haven't heard anything from the Oyakata and don't know which heya I will be going to," he said.

Edited by Kintamayama

Kise beya is moving as one to Kitanoumi beya, giving the latter a grand total of 46 rikishi, it is being reported. The last time any heya had more than 40 rikishi was in September 1998 when Futagoyama beya had 41. "Rikishi should be on the dohyo. With that in mind and putting everything else aside, that was my priority,", said Kitanoumi Oyakata. Kise Oyakata will be a coach there now. "I spoke to Kitanoumi and he said it was OK,", said Kise.

Edited by Kintamayama

Kise beya is moving as one to Kitanoumi beya, giving the latter a grand total of 46 rikishi, it is being reported. "Rikishi should be on the dohyo. With that in mind and putting everything else aside, that was my priority,", said Kitanoumi Oyakata. Kise Oyakata will be a coach there now. "I spoke to Kitanoumi and he said it was OK,", said Kise.

It would be nice if the rikishi don't have to actually live at Kitanoumi... that place (as much as I like a lot of rikishi there and Kitazakura) is a total dump!!!! Dirty and dirtier and jammed already with stuff. Actually the lower division guys were already training there every time I went to Kitanoumi anyway...

I did talk to both Aoki, Kabutoiwa and Gagamaru today and last night and all three of them told me that everything was fine, not to worry about the stress of the mass media outside the heya and such. They would be fine as long as they could continue sumo no worries at all!

Kise beya is moving as one to Kitanoumi beya, giving the latter a grand total of 46 rikishi, it is being reported. The last time any heya had more than 40 rikishi was in September 1998 when Futagoyama beya had 41. "Rikishi should be on the dohyo. With that in mind and putting everything else aside, that was my priority,", said Kitanoumi Oyakata. Kise Oyakata will be a coach there now. "I spoke to Kitanoumi and he said it was OK,", said Kise.

Not to be a stickler, but isn't he actually Kimura Oyakata ? The heya is Kise beya, but the Oyakata's name is Kimura Sehei. I think the original Kise beya was started by a Gyoji.

Not to be a stickler, but isn't he actually Kimura Oyakata ? The heya is Kise beya, but the Oyakata's name is Kimura Sehei. I think the original Kise beya was started by a Gyoji.

No, this is the regular sumo reading of the name: Ki(mura( (se)hei. It's one of those specials that you either know or you don't.

Orion

The sumo reading is Ki(mura) Se (hei). It's one of those things you either know or you don't.

Orion

The sumo reading is Ki(mura) Se (hei). It's one of those things you either know or you don't.

Orion

So, he is called Kise Oyakata? In the shashin meibo he is referred to as Kimura Sehei.

So, he is called Kise Oyakata? In the shashin meibo he is referred to as Kimura Sehei.

Go to the Kyokai Oyakata list in English. He is Kise Oyakata. Or, if that answer seems wrong to you too, try the official Kyokai Kise Beya page in English. Or, if you think their English pages are wrong, go to the official Kise beya page in Japanese, where you can see the hiragana reading as well, which should put your mind at ease.. As an aside, I don't remember any Oyakata heading a heya that doesn't correspond to his name.

Edited by Kintamayama

Go to the Kyokai Oyakata list in English. He is Kise Oyakata. Or, if that answer seems wrong to you too, try the official Kyokai Kise Beya page in English. Or, if you think their English pages are wrong, go to the official Kise beya page in Japanese, where you can see the hiragana reading as well, which should put your mind at ease.. As an aside, I don't remember any Oyakata heading a heya that doesn't correspond to his name.

I wasn't being stubborn, just seeking confirmation. Kise beya is a little unusual, isn't it?

What I don't know about sumo could fill volumes.

(Sign of approval...)

What I don't know about sumo could fill volumes.

(I am not worthy...)

Even an oyakata said that to me, so don't worry. It's too big for a human mind :)

They are known either Kise or Shikihide because their name was derived from a gyoji name. If we had a Toshiyori Myoseki for Shikimori Inosuke or Kimura Shonosuke we may even had ShikiI or KiSho oyakata.

For the most part, when a former rikishi became a Toshiyori, they could have normally taken over their active name like Takasago or Jinmaku as they were known with their "family" name in their case but the gyoji is known by their given name like Shonosuke or Inosuke, so rather than having a Toshioyori name like Hidegoro or Sehei, they added the first part of family name to their given name as naming themselves Kimura and Shikimori would have been equally confusing.

So there is nothing mysterious or was an ulterior motive to it as it was simply convenient for all concerned.

My friend just emailed me that she just heard the news that Kitanoumi beya are cleaning out to make room for the Kise boys... apparently they threw out 4 tons of garbage today & they found a mummified rat in the closet... (I am not worthy...) they freaked out!!!!

I am sorry the Kise boys have to move into that old old dirty cramped heya!!! 4 tons of trash... still not enough room for the new boys to fit in! (Shaking head...)

I understand that the boys should stay together, but with all that ichimon-trash, nobody ever thought of a "logical" solution - let em boys enter a few-Rikishi- Heya, like Takashima...imho

The problem with a lot of those few rikishi heya is that they have no way to accommodate all the Kise boys! Then they would have to split them up! I think Kitanoumi "has" the space but the boys have been spreading out and hoarding. So they had to clean out to make room. It will be tight though!!!

The problem with a lot of those few rikishi heya is that they have no way to accommodate all the Kise boys! Then they would have to split them up! I think Kitanoumi "has" the space but the boys have been spreading out and hoarding. So they had to clean out to make room. It will be tight though!!!

The idea was that the small heya moves to the location of Kise which should be possible. What is happening with that good location now anyway?