Sign in to follow this  
Achiyama

Kotooshu to undergo a surgery on his knee

Kotooshu was driven to the hospital right after his bout with Kaio on Day 15 of 2010 Natsu basho. He will undergo a surgery on May 24. This prevents him from flying to Bulgaria, where he was expected as a special guest to the European Sumo Championship, to be held on May 26 - 27, 2010.

According to Topsport.bg and Gong.bg here is the chronolgy of his injury:

During the night of 20-21 May, Kotooshu felt acute pain in his right knee, which had been injured a while ago. Because of the pain he could hardly sleep through the night. On the next day (Day 13 of the Natsu Basho) was his bout against Harumafuji. Getting a painkilling shots, he managed to win the bout. After a series of tests he was diagnosed with partial tear of his meniscus.

On the next day (Day 14 of the Natsu Basho), again with painkilling shots, he fought against Hakuho. The bout was the longest of the day and declared "the most beautiful bout of the basho". It ended with Hakuho throwing Kotooshu off the dohyo. During his landing his knee was twisted severely.

In spite of the excruciating pain, Kotooshu decided to finish the Basho and on Day 15 he met Kaio. After losing the bout, on his way down off the dohyo, his knee blocked out completely and he couldn't move. Kotooshu was taken to the hospital imediately. The MRI showed complete tear of his meniscus. He spent the night at the hospital and an arthroscopic surgery was scheduled for May 24.

According to the doctors a full recovery is expected in 3-4 weeks.

Edited by Achiyama

During his landing his knee was twisted fatally.

I know what it meant, but found the wording funny. I mean, if it was fatal, can it be brought back to life? (Shaking head...)

I know what it meant, but found the wording funny. I mean, if it was fatal, can it be brought back to life? (Shaking head...)

O.k. this is a bad translation. You are right. I would say "severely".

But why are you so over-particular and mocking at others' errors.

By the way, I edited the original.

Edited by Achiyama

If reports are accurate, I give him a high degree of respect for finishing off the basho, which could, and did, lead to more damage of the knee. I've been there (as I'm sure a lot of readers have), and with arthroscopic surgery he should be pretty good to go by July.

Still, knowing his knee's going, with 2 days to go and nothing to really gain, he should have pulled out, saved himself some pain and further damage, and had the surgery asap. By continuing to the end, he could have really ruined his career. Stuff like that has ended (or severely shortened) careers in other sports.

Wish him a complete recovery.

Thanks for taking the time to translate this info, Achiyama. Disregard the nitpicker, the mistake was neither funny nor did it cripple the meaning.

Thanks for taking the time to translate this info, Achiyama. Disregard the nitpicker, the mistake was neither funny nor did it cripple the meaning.

Thanks for your support Kame. I am glad that there are people who appreciate the effort of those whose intent is just to share information with everybody who loves sumo.

The original text actually says "fatally" (фатално) so it sounds just as stupid in Bulgarian.

Anyway, this surgery is long overdue, so I'm happy it's finally being done. If it's just a torn meniscus without any damage to the cartilage, he'll be up and running in a month. Otherwise he'll require "microfractures" to the bone to form new sort-of-cartilage, and partial recovery will take about 3 months.

Interesting that no Japanese online outlet broke wind on any of this.

I know what it meant, but found the wording funny. I mean, if it was fatal, can it be brought back to life? :-)

O.k. this is a bad translation. You are right. I would say "severely".

But why are you so over-particular and mocking at others' errors.

By the way, I edited the original.

Because he is right! The word "fatal" which is unfortunately overused by our Bulgarian journalists means precisely "something which causes death" in both English and Bulgarian and many other languages too. As already pointed by another Bulgarian it's not bad translation as you translated literally the Bulgarian text so not your fault at all.

Also nobody is mocking you. Many people in this forum maybe even most are not native English speakers which combined with strong sense of humour (sometimes weird to be honest) leads to frequent comments, sometimes long threads and even inventing new terms after wrong translations or simple language mistakes. Try finding the term "heating the wall" term anywhere outside of this forum for example.

Honestly, my comment wasn't made to offend. When I saw your original post I thought the wording was funny... When I looked to the left and it showed you were "From: USA", I assumed you were an American and used Babelfish or some other translating program. Now knowing you are actually a Bulgarian living in the US, I may not have made the same comment and kept it as a private chuckle. But since you translated the article properly, I don't see why you got pissed in the first place. The fault belongs to the original reporter, who by virtue of his profession, should be able to choose the correct words to use.

I am in awe of anybody who can speak multiple languages as I have told quite a few forum members I have talked to in person. I also give mucho-gratitude (as about as close to bi-lingual as I get) to those who translate sumo articles from any language into english. :-)

Edited by Washuyama

There has been no reporting of this alleged surgery in Japanese or in English.

And a post just appeared on Kotooshu's blog with no mention of any surgery:

Kotooshu Blog Post, June 2 2010

The text says "I'm doing keiko everyday."

And there are two photos of him being filmed for a tv show, standing in a kitchen making Bulgarian food and looking quite healthy.

It seems to me there are only two possible explanations: either the news of his surgery was a lie, or the blog post is a conspiracy.

Edited by Umigame

Kotooshu Blog Post, May 2 2010

And there are two photos of him being filmed for a tv show, standing in a kitchen making Bulgarian food and looking quite healthy.

It seems to me there are only two possible explanations: either the news of his surgery was a lie, or the blog post is a conspiracy.

I presume you mean June 2. If it was May 2 it's hardly surprising there was no mention of surgery (I am not worthy...)

Kotooshu Blog Post, May 2 2010

I presume you mean June 2. If it was May 2 it's hardly surprising there was no mention of surgery (I am not worthy...)

Oops, thanks for pointing that out. I've edited my post.

I could be totally wrong, but my impression is that the sumo beat writers don't write about injuries/illnesses unless either a) they have been officially acknowledged or b) they are obvious because they occured in a public setting. As such I wasn't all that surprised that news of a surgery for an injury that was apparently kept secret for part of the basho only appeared in foreign outlets. Now, that blog post on the other hand... In short, I dunno either.

How about this? He promised he would show up for the European championships, but forgot to ask for permission. Then, permission was denied.

Etc.. etc..

Honestly, my comment wasn't made to offend. When I saw your original post I thought the wording was funny... When I looked to the left and it showed you were "From: USA", I assumed you were an American and used Babelfish or some other translating program. Now knowing you are actually a Bulgarian living in the US, I may not have made the same comment and kept it as a private chuckle. But since you translated the article properly, I don't see why you got pissed in the first place. The fault belongs to the original reporter, who by virtue of his profession, should be able to choose the correct words to use.

I am in awe of anybody who can speak multiple languages as I have told quite a few forum members I have talked to in person. I also give mucho-gratitude (as about as close to bi-lingual as I get) to those who translate sumo articles from any language into english. (Shaking head...)

Hi Washuyama,

Sorry for writing this so late, but I was traveling and had no time to respond earlier.

Thank you for your nice words. Maybe I overreacted a little bit, but I can tell you that I have no bad feelings. I fixed my location info to avoid future misleadings. I didn't change the word "fatally" because it really was used in the article (as other Bulgarians confirmed, thanks guys), and if I had changed it, it wouldn't have been a translation, but an original writing. So, maybe in the future we should point out when the posting is a translation.

Edited by Achiyama

Are we any clearer about whether he had surgery or not? (And thanks for the translation!)

Are we any clearer about whether he had surgery or not? (And thanks for the translation!)

He has been training daily throughout the scandal, so if he had any surgery (which I doubt) it must have been very minor. Not a word about it anywhere.

He has been training daily throughout the scandal, so if he had any surgery (which I doubt) it must have been very minor. Not a word about it anywhere.

Here is what was written on Sport1.bg. A very scarce info, but the surgery was mentioned. Why the journalists would lie about it?

A translation in red follows the original text:

********************************************************************************

Нед, 2010-07-11 12:47

Българският сумист Калоян Махлянов-Котоошу стартира с победа участието си на турнира по сумо в Нагоя. В първия кръг българския сумист използва техниката "йорикири", за да победи монголеца Асасекирю.

В края на месец май Котоошу претърпя операция на менискуса на дясното коляно и за него това е първи турнир след възстановяването от контузията. Победа постигна и великият шампион Хакухо, който се наложи над маегашира-1 Точиношин. Във втория кръг утре Котоошу среща за втори път Хакуба, срещу когото има една загуба до момента.

********************************************************************************

Sunday, July 7, 2010 12:47

Bulgarian sumo wrestler Kaloyan Mahlyanov-Kotooshu started his participation in the Nagoya Basho with a win. In the first bout the Bulgarian sumo wrestler used the kimarite "yorikiri" to defeat the Mongolian Asasekiryu.

In the end of May Kotooshu underwent a surgery on his right meniscus and for him this is the first basho after the recovery from the injury. Win was achieved also by the champion Hakuho, who defeated Maegashira 1 Tochinoshin. In the second day tomorrow Kotooshu will meet for the second time Hakuba, against whom he has one loss till now.

Regards,

Achiyama

Edited by Achiyama

More conspiracies!

[Why the journalists would lie about it?

An equally relevant question is "Why would Kotooshu lie about it?"

The journalist says the surgery happened end of May. On June 2 Osh said he's doing keiko everyday.

Is it possible to have a knee surgery so minor that recovery is less than a week?

Actually I agree with Kintamayama's explanation (above) in this case.

More conspiracies!

An equally relevant question is "Why would Kotooshu lie about it?"

The journalist says the surgery happened end of May. On June 2 Osh said he's doing keiko everyday.

Is it possible to have a knee surgery so minor that recovery is less than a week?

Most likely explanation is that the knee just had an "attack of meniscus problem" and it went away without the need for surgery. You can see those attacks a lot in Aminishiki who limps after some bouts when extra pressure on the knee while I have never seen Kotooshu limp on the honbasho dohyo. Resection or reattachment of the torn part of the meniscus can be done and is not that big operation arthroscopically but certainly not something one recovers in a week no matter what and Kotooshu actually looks very good on the dohyo now. If I am not mistaken, Kotooshu also has at least partial ACL injury and is able to deal with it as many rikishi tend to do.

Even with arhroscopic surgery, the joint tends to take it personally when poked with instruments and stuff shaved there.

Well, the informations about the Berlin Basho from the bulgarian press weren't very reliable too :-)

I'd take information from the Bulgarian online press with a grain of salt. They are very very close to yellow journalism. I've read there all kind of bullshit about the most famous Bulgarian sportsmen. Someone hears a rumor and a newspaper publishes it, claiming it is the one and only truth in the universe :< Then their colleagues copy/paste it and we got a brand new piece of news published everywhere.

I just remembered the story which claimed George Michael had officially confirmed he has some incurable and fatal illness. It was published virtually everywhere in Bulgaria so people decided it is true. Funny but I never found that story published outside Bulgaria.

Anyway, I hope we will never again discuss Kotooshu in an "injury" thread.

Good luck to him this basho --> :-)

Edited by Skotkotaikai