Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Kotomitsuki accused of gambling- dismissed from Sumo

A weekly due to be published on the 20th is accusing Kotomitsuki of gambling on baseball. " No truth in that whatsoever", he said to the hordes of journalists clamoring for his reaction. Asked if he intends to sue: "We're still in the middle of a basho and I am concentrating on my own sumo at the moment".

Edited by Kintamayama

Three Oyakata involved as well. All the Oyakatas held an emergency meeting today where everyone denied everything everywhere.

Edited by Kintamayama

Just for my enlightenment, is gambling (in general or on baseball) illegal in Japan? Or is it banned for rikishi?

Just for my enlightenment, is gambling (in general or on baseball) illegal in Japan? Or is it banned for rikishi?

Wikipedia to the rescue:

Gambling in Japan is banned by the Criminal Code chapter 23 however there are several exceptions.

Public sports, lottery, and toto are held under special laws in order to increase the income of national and local governments, as well as to offer a form of entertainment for many people. ...

Kōei kyōgi (公営競技, public sports) are public races that people in Japan can gamble on legally. There are four different types of kōei kyōgi: Keiba (horse racing), Keirin (bicycle racing), Kyōtei (motorboat racing), and Auto Race (motorcycle racing). They are allowed by special laws and are regulated by local governments or governmental corporations.

What did an Oyakata tell me recently? It's all about money for Kotomitsuki ...

The three Oyakata are Ootake ( Ex-Takatouriki) , Sanoyama (ex-Chiyotaikai) and Tokitsukaze (ex-Tokitsuumi), who were all interviewed by Michinoku. Oonomatsu was scheduled to be be interviewed today as well.

English lit

Kotomitsuki has supposedly been blackmailed for 100 million yen by dubious characters who are supposedly threatening his life. It all started 5 years ago when a certain tokoyama introduced him to baseball gambling. He then lost a lot of money. Shady people got wind of it and threatened to go public with the story unless he paid them "hush money". "You've caused the bookmakers a lot of bother, but 100 million should cover that", was also heard. Additionally to Kotomitsuki, the article says there are other active rikishi involved as well.

Edited by Kintamayama

I suspect he didn't tell you that with the expectation that you'd broadcast it on the English-language internets...

I suspect he didn't tell you that with the expectation that you'd broadcast it on the English-language internets...

I suspect he did.

I suspect he did.

Since it's not confidential, which oyakata was it who said this?

Or do you also suspect he wished to remain anonymous?

Well, Umigame, there's quite a difference between "an oyakata told me this and that" and "oyakata X told me this and that", and I'm quite sure your suspicion is right. However, because this is Fay and the whole thing is about Kotomitsuki, make an educated guess...

The discussion of this on the SML got me wondering ... Do any rikishi play Facebook games? If so, do they play Mafia Wars? If they play Mafia Wars, would they get in trouble for helping the Yakuza? :)

Kotomitsuki appeared at the rijikai today to tell his side of the gambling story.

Time to play the early edition of GTK?

The tokoyama who allegedly introduced Kotomitsuki to baseball gambling and a Makushita rikishi, whose brother is the one who supposedly tried to blackmail Kotomitsuki for 100 million yen were interviewed today at the rijikai. They both denied everything, as did Ounomatsu Oyakata again, although he is not named as one of the three Oyakata involved, which has me baffled again. "Today, we were only asked about the circumstances.." he said.

Edited by Kintamayama

The tokoyama who allegedly introduced Kotomitsuki to baseball gambling and a Makushita rikishi, whose brother is the one who supposedly tried to blackmail Kotomitsuki for 100 million yen were interviewed today at the rijikai. They both denied everything, as did Ounomatsu Oyakata again, although he is not named as one of the three Oyakata involved, which has me baffled again.

I think it means the rikishi and the tokoyama are from Onomatsu-beya.

Kotomitsuki was questioned for about ten minutes at the rijikai and was sent away with no punishment. "The man is denying all involvement so we have no choice but to believe him", said Michinoku Oyakata public relations boss.

Edited by Kintamayama

Part of me wonders whether this is coming up now as a way to ease him out.

I had a more cynical take...what better way to get rid of your blackmailer than leaking the story to the press yourself? It makes you look bad briefly, but to your Kyokai superiors you can always deny the whole story (no different than yaocho accusations), and now there's nothing to extort you with anymore. It's not like the gangsters are going to deliver the smoking gun to the Kyokai directors or anything.

Edited by Asashosakari

Just as I thought this was quietly fading away, it is being reported that Kotomitsuki will be re-summoned for re-questioning re-al soon. Michinoku wants some more answers, apparently.

Edited by Kintamayama

Just as I thought this was quietly fading away, it is being reported that Kotomitsuki will be re-summoned for re-questioning re-al soon. Michinoku wants some more answers, apparently.

The news I saw last night mentioned boy him and ex-Katayama...

Some rikishi have come forward and admitted to gambling on baseball, the Kyokai admitted today. No concrete names or ranks were revealed. A special committee within the Education office will be investigating this from now on. Those that came forward and admitted to this will not be punished, provided they prove they have no deep ties with the underworld. All details will be relayed to the Ministry of ECSST (Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) immediately. "During jungyo, some rikishi have been playing cards for money which is not that far from gambling ... We intend to put a stop to that,", said Hakkaku deputy Educational Guidance boss. "From here on, if we catch anyone doing that, we will deal with it seriously!", added Michinoku Oyakata. OTOH, those that were implicated in the weekly's article are not among the rikishi that came forward, they say.

Michinoku and Hakkaku at the impromptu press conference- no dark sarcasm in the classroom?:

spf1006111235001-p1.jpg

I remember during the mongolian jungyo I had some pics on my website from a japanese sekitori playing cards. Although it didn't look as if they played for money I got a mail from his manager who was a bit worried and asked me if I could remove the pics - which I did of course.

Sumo has had friends with very short fifth digits for some time now. For example -

Yakuza: Japan's Criminal Underworld

Encyclopedia of Violence: Frequent, Commonplace, Unexpected

Law in Everyday Japan: Sex. Sumo, Suicide, and Statutes

Gaijin Yokozuna: A Biography of Chad Rowan

This latest thing is nothing to do with a few poker games amongst rikishi, and everything to do with trying to salvage the "secret" part of the open secret of heavy mobster presence in the sumo world.