Sign in to follow this  
asa_love

how do you adopt a rikishi?

They're just rikishi (usually in the lower ranks) that the person has decided to try to support in particular. In some cases the adoptee has no idea there is someone out there supporting them, for others people like Viki have facilitated getting letters of encouragement or gifts to the adoptee. I forget who had the original idea on the Sumo Mail List quite a few years ago (Joe Petrow maybe?), but it was suggested that members pick a lower ranked rikishi to follow and report on to everyone else and if possible, send them some encouragement.

For instance, I picked some rikishi recently with "Kofuji" in their shikona and then decided to add those that came from Kofu, where my wife taught.

Edited by Kofuji

The site of Tamanaogijima about his adoptee does contain a little bit of background, which probably might be interesting too:

http://www.seisa.de/

(Click there on Adopt-a-Jonidan on the left side)

They're just rikishi (usually in the lower ranks) that the person has decided to try to support in particular. In some cases the adoptee has no idea there is someone out there supporting them, for others people like Viki have facilitated getting letters of encouragement or gifts to the adoptee. I forget who had the original idea on the Sumo Mail List quite a few years ago (Joe Petrow maybe?), but it was suggested that members pick a lower ranked rikishi to follow and report on to everyone else and if possible, send them some encouragement.

For instance, I picked some rikishi recently with "Kofuji" in their shikona and then decided to add those that came from Kofu, where my wife taught.

Speaking of your adoptee Kairiki....last weekend at the kokugikan a woman came to me and said "thank you..." and I looked at her face and I thought "how did Kairiki get from the hanamichi to here so quickly?" The could be twins!!! She said "I'm Kairiki's mother" and I thought "you can't deny that!" she wanted to thank me for cheering for Kairiki and meet me. I told her about you and why I started cheering for him. She asked me to thank you as well!!!! :-)

that is interesting! thank you for the explanation.

i think i should go adopt a mongolian son.

Speaking of your adoptee Kairiki....last weekend at the kokugikan a woman came to me and said "thank you..." and I looked at her face and I thought "how did Kairiki get from the hanamichi to here so quickly?" The could be twins!!! She said "I'm Kairiki's mother" and I thought "you can't deny that!" she wanted to thank me for cheering for Kairiki and meet me. I told her about you and why I started cheering for him. She asked me to thank you as well!!!! :-)

Thanks, Viki! It looks like both Harry and I have managed to adopt the same rikishi, possibly for different reasons. I suspect I'm the johnny-come-lately as I only thought of adopting rikishi from Kofu when I saw that Shobushi had changed his home town to Kofu last basho and did a search for other Yamanashi rikishi in the sumo reference.

Edited by Kofuji

I adopted him at the beginning, after his first jonokuchi basho where he went 4-3. At the moment he is the hardest luck of my mostly hard luck adoptees (Tochiyashiki is the highest ranked in low makushita). To this day I'm not very good at picking entry level talent as my short stint in those low ranker games has shown. Frankly I'm not very good at picking high level veteran talent either :-)

OOPS and now come to think of it I actually DID explain that I came to cheer Kairiki through Harry, not you Bob!! Sorry about that!!!

Did we make a banner for poor Kairiki? I think I got too tired and didn't make one so its obviously my fault he isn't doing well, no banner!

I've been on conference call to Tokyo in the wee hours during this basho (can't wait to see the phone bill) and I keep wishing, "Fly me there, fly me there, fly me there!" But alas, no luck this basho to go and see my adoptees and cheer for them in person. Hopefully I can sweat it out in the Aichitaiikukan again in July... we'll see.

No banner for him but I'm still using the Asaamami banner (did this morning) every time I'm there. The shimpan still look, smile or even laugh at times!! I'm thrilled to hold it for him & we've become friends since then so I have to thank you for adopting him!!!

No banner for him but I'm still using the Asaamami banner (did this morning) every time I'm there. The shimpan still look, smile or even laugh at times!! I'm thrilled to hold it for him & we've become friends since then so I have to thank you for adopting him!!!

Thanks for holding the banner and cheering for him! With day 11's loss he is on the bubble again, I hope he can get his KK.

Thanks for holding the banner and cheering for him! With day 11's loss he is on the bubble again, I hope he can get his KK.

He said he'll try!!! (Shaking head...)