Sign in to follow this  
Mark Buckton

Zensho for Asashoryu.

(Blushing...) :-P (Applauding...) :-P (Applauding...) :-P B-)

The man done it.

And with his average fight time 5.9 seconds BEFORE today he whooped Taka and Chiyonofuji's comparitively pathetic times of 13.7 & 17 seconds per fight average magnificently.

Good on you Shoryu - even though my boy Tochi got whooped too.

ANR

Edited by Adachinoryu

And with his average fight time 5.9 seconds BEFORE today he whooped Taka and Chiyonofuji's comparitively pathetic times of 13.7 & 17 seconds per fight average magnificently.

That is indeed amazing. Those are almost Chiyotaikai times out there, and when taking into consideration the totally different styles, it's almost more amazing than the zensho itself. Normally in yotsu sumo you need time to settle before you can start the attack, and Asashoryu was ultra-quick on that. What's also worth mentioning is that in this tournament Asashoryu hasn't relied on belt sumo as much as before, and sometimes it seemed as if he pushed his foes out with his presence alone, if you know what I mean.

I remember Syd Hoare mentioning that many people preferred the longer bouts in the past over today's situation, where the majority of bouts never hit the 10 second mark. I actually like quick action, especially when it's powerful sumo as Asashoryu's was throughout this tournament.

Chapeau! (Blushing...)

He did it! This is cause for a grand celebration!

(Applauding...) ;-) :-D (Laughing...) :-) (Being ninja...) :-P (Neener, neener...) :-P (Applauding...) (Having a pizza...) (Punk rocker...) (Blowing horn...) :-P (Singing drunk...) (Hugging...) (Applauding...) (Sign of approval) (Nodding yes...) (Bouncing group) (Cheers...) (Blushing...) (Dancing of joy...) (Eek...) (Juggling...) (Playing a serenade...) (Doing a wave...) (First prize...) (Giving flowers...) (Got milk?...) (Band playing...) (Bleh!) (Black cat...) (Cloverleaf...) (Clown...) (Football player...) (Licking icecream...) B-)

Gotta love emoticons!

Wouldn't it be great if he pulled off another zensho in Osaka?

It's like tennis in that some people like long, drawn-out points, baseline play, etc, while others prefer the quick serve and volley domination. I have no particular favroite, but I like to see a dominating superstar in any sport just as much as I'm eager to see the next challenger to the superstar. Congrats to Asashoryu (Blushing...)

Didn't Shoryu claim to win all 6 bashos this year? That's a tough claim but so was this zensho yusho. He wasn't close to losing at any time.. I just hope sumo doesn't become boring when Asa keeps pushing out everyone in 3 seconds. It's not very entertaining. He's too darn dominant. I wish Takanohana or Musashimaru or Akebono could be brought back with a time machine from their best times.

Didn't Shoryu claim to win all 6 bashos this year? That's a tough claim but so was this zensho yusho. He wasn't close to losing at any time.. I just hope sumo doesn't become boring when Asa keeps pushing out everyone in 3 seconds. It's not very entertaining. He's too darn dominant. I wish Takanohana or Musashimaru or Akebono could be brought back with a time machine from their best times.

I think he didn't say 6 but 5 (or possibly 4), but I can't refer to any article, it's just what I think I remember...

This was a very very exciting basho. His dominance adds to Sumo. Wasn't it just a while back when people were saying that Sumo needed a dominant rikishi, someone to beat? Grass is greener on the other side of the fence always I guess. And I wouldn't be surprized if Asashoryu won all 6 basho this year.

This was a very very exciting basho.  His dominance adds to Sumo.  Wasn't it just a while back when people were saying that Sumo needed a dominant rikishi, someone to beat?  Grass is greener on the other side of the fence always I guess.  And I wouldn't be surprized if Asashoryu won all 6 basho this year.

There needs to be some opposition so that it doesn't become boring. I hope the union of the Ozeki can at least put up a fight until someone of them or someone coming from below will take up the mantle as Asashoryu's main rival. (Clapping wildly...)

But this basho was truly Asashoryu's and nothing should take that from him. Very impressive... (Clapping wildly...)

I really doubt he can make 6 this year (I am willing to up my bid from 3 to 4 though), but I have been wrong before (see can Asashoryu make zensho thread below (Clapping wildly...) )...

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Hi guys....first post............ (Laughing...)

i think that Asashoryu's dominance is at it's beggining.I cannot see an opponent that is in his league at this point.

the Ozeki's look a bit tired and old (Musoyama,Kaio) or doesn't have the consistency to be Yokozuna (Chiyo,Tochiazuma).

Even if a surprise rikishi from the lower ranks can grab a basho, an Ozeki must make his mark to ruin Asa's 5 bashos this year.And the only Ozeki to do so is Chiyotaikai in my opoinion.......

Welcome to the forum aderechelsea-zeki. You might want to visit the Introductions section as well.

I think you and Jesinofuji-zeki will become best friends (In a state of confusion...)

Hi Aderechelsea-

Welcome aboard I've gotta ask where the unusual shikona comes from?

The only thing I can think of is that your real name is Chelsea Adere-Am I right or way off?

As for Asashoryu I dont think hes ready to take 5 bashos in one year yet,I expect him to win 3 or at a stretch 4 with the Ozekis sharing the others(Not Musoyama though.)

Maybe we will see a newcomer win his first Yusho this year,with a few promising newcomers coming through.

you are way off...............

i couldn't think of a name and i used my favourite football team's name....... (In a state of confusion...)

as for the topic....... i think Chiyo can make one yusho but with Zuma's performance this basho i can't think of another one.

If Asa remains injury-free it is very tough to be beaten by these Ozekis.And to win a basho it is nessesary to beat Asa as it looks like.......

That was my next guess Aderechelsea-

Asa may have dominated Hatsu but that doesn't mean hes gonna do it again next basho and just cos Tochiazuma had a mediocre basho this time doesnt mean he wont win next time-

Every basho is different and every basho has its shining lights and damp squibs and they will not be the same ones from one basho to the next-Thats just common sense.

I think Chiyotaikai will win in march and Asa will have a mediocre basho..

Edited by Fujisan

Asa may have dominated Hatsu but that doesn't mean hes gonna do it again next basho

Oh man, I can't wait to see this coming basho. (Sign of approval) After all this Asa's domination I can't name anyone for yusho other than Asa. He looked so invincible. We'll see what happens... (In a state of confusion...)

Edited by Tenkashoryu

Yes, a union of the Ozeki can beat Asa, but only if all four of them fight him at the same time!!!!! :-D

What short memories some people have-

Asa as been losing quite regular against the ozekis before last basho and one great basho doesn't erase that,except in fickle minded people.

Feb 27, 2004, 15:02

What short memories some people have-

Asa as been losing quite regular against the ozekis before last basho and one great basho doesn't erase that,except in fickle minded people

his performance showed that he is far better now than he was when he got his first yushos and then slumbed in form.The only Ozeki to remain a favourite against Asa is Kaio in my opinion, who is very dominant in his good days and still holds a winning record against him.But Kaio is not at top form........