Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Legal way to watch sumo on NHK over the Internet.

I think it is okay to share this information. Apparently to test P2P technology, the Japanese Ministry of Internal Affairs has set up Keyhole TV, which has a range of Japanese channels and radio stations on it, including NHK (Sign of approval...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyhole_TV

This means that is a legal way to watch NHK coverage over the Internet. The commentary is Japanese, and the picture is quite 'jumpy', but it is a way.

To get it go to http://www.v2p.jp/video/ and download it, plus the recent update. (Sorry all instructions are in Japanese, but I think it is possible to figure it all out. If not, this website gives fairly good instructions.)

I wanted to show what the kanji for the NHK channel looks like, but I can't find a place to copy and paste it.

The first character is a bit 'busy'. The second character is a small square with a triangle (with extended base line) hovering above it, with the katakana テレビ next.

It is password controlled, but was a VERY easy password to guess. Just in case it is not legal to give away the password, I won't except to give the hint that it is not 'BBC' ;-)

I think it is okay to share this information. Apparently to test P2P technology, the Japanese Ministry of Internal Affairs has set up Keyhole TV, which has a range of Japanese channels and radio stations on it, including NHK ;-)

I think it's actually Sougou Terebi (NHK Aomori) 総合テレビ and Keyhole has been around for quite a while, in all its "jumpiness"..

Edited by Kintamayama

I think it is okay to share this information. Apparently to test P2P technology, the Japanese Ministry of Internal Affairs has set up Keyhole TV, which has a range of Japanese channels and radio stations on it, including NHK ;-)

I think it's actually Sougou Terebi (NHK Aomori) 総合テレビ and Keyhole has been around for quite a while, in all its "jumpiness"..

Yes, that's the one, and I've known about it for a few basho (thanks to Sumo Talk), but always assumed that its legality might be suspect, so kept quiet. It was only when I was investigating what the password (which is new for this basho, I think) might be (nope, it's not 'CNN' either), that I learnt more about it, and then wanted to share (Sign of approval...)

Edited by Jejima

It was only when I was investigating what the password (which is new for this basho, I think) might be (nope, it's not 'CNN' either), that I learnt more about it, and then wanted to share ;-)

So I guess Nobody Here Knows..

Edited by Kintamayama

It was previously mentioned by Manekineko here.

...assumed that its legality might be suspect...

The consensus seems to be that it is perfectly legal. So finally we have a free legal way of watching NHK. Enjoy it while it lasts. (Nodding yes...)

got it working. What's the schedule like, does it just keep replaying, or was I just lucky enough to tune in during a Makuuchi replay just now? (3 pm EST, 7 PM GMT)

Edited by Gusoyama

If it helps anyone...

Mongolia channel TV5 shows Makuuchi replay from NHK broadcast. It requires use of Internet Explorer from what I can tell. The picture quality is a better than "Keyhole."

It is in Cyrillic, but the sumo broadcast is easy to find. "Sumo" is spelled with the Cyrillic characters which look like roman "cymo."

http://www.tv5.mn (Sorry, I didn't set the link up correctly, but it is a short URL.)

Edited by Otokonoyama
activate link