Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

The new Baruto

Hmm, i remember reading about it some time ago but as i can not provide You source, i take it back. Maybe they are not friends. But there is still good possibility that as colleagues and proffessionals thay might occasionally do this. We have numerous examples from other "proffessional" fields of sport (mostly when they get caught - F1, football, boxing etc) so it is not so unreasonable to think that such things may happen also in sumo.

1. There is always one rule- if you're still in the yusho race, you don't throw a bout. Osh was still in the race for sure.

2. Regardless, this was not staged, not in a million years.

1. There is always one rule- if you're still in the yusho race, you don't throw a bout. Osh was still in the race for sure.

1. Talk about painting the world black and white. True, he was mathematically still in the yusho race, but the chances he (and the rest of the world) thought he still had are a totally different issue. I'm not aware of any close friendship between Kotooshu and Bart (it's possible, they're both whiteys), but a thrown bout NOW would be worth many cows later (when, say, Kotooshu is kadoban, or in a Yusho race of his own).

2. You're probably right, Kotooshu is a sore loser anyway.

Hmm, i remember reading about it some time ago but as i can not provide You source, i take it back. Maybe they are not friends. But there is still good possibility that as colleagues and proffessionals thay might occasionally do this. We have numerous examples from other "proffessional" fields of sport (mostly when they get caught - F1, football, boxing etc) so it is not so unreasonable to think that such things may happen also in sumo.

Of course not. But this would hardly be the forum we know if someone didn't suggest it was.

Of course not. But this would hardly be the forum we know if someone didn't suggest it was.

(In jonokuchi...)

Lets hope that today is 11-0 to Baruto :).

Miracle didnt happen. I have to admit, i had faint hope that after holding first charge, maybe Bart would find some way, but what he attempted to do - stood completely upright to try to wiggle arm inside - seemed not good idea to me. Any rikishi with little bit of sense, would have used the moment to push Bart out. Before that he let Hakoho get right belt grip too easily, not even trying to block it. Was he intimidated by Hakuho? Or is Hakuho really so good that makes everyone else look stupid? Or maybe i just dont understand sumo at all....

Edited by pisipepu

Miracle didnt happen. I have to admit, i had faint hope that after holding first charge, maybe Bart would find some way, but what he attempted to do - stood completely upright to try to wiggle arm inside - seemed not good idea to me. Any rikishi with little bit of sense, would have used the moment to push Bart out. Before that he let Hakoho get right belt grip too easily, not even trying to block it. Was he intimidated by Hakuho? Or is Hakuho really so good that makes everyone else look stupid? Or maybe i just dont understand sumo at all....

Yes, he is THAT good.

It looked like Harumafuji may have slightly injured his right leg/foot today. This may bode well for Baruto on day 12.

Losing to the master. No biggie. Just a reminder that that's what he's striving for. Just sweep the rest and you'll be fine Bart (Sign of approval...)

Tomorrow Baruto - Ama match is interesting. Winner will most likely have jun-yosho.

Tomorrow Baruto - Ama match is interesting. Winner will most likely have jun-yosho.

Still some die-hards out there I see!(Sign of approval...) I would favour Bart for that one- he's won their last three and will hopefully have shaken off today's defeat. I just hope Harumafuji doesn't pull any tachi-ai shenanigans.

Stopping Hakuho's initial charge completely is in itself a miracle. Good bout.

Baruto should be proud of his effort against Hakuho. He stopped the initial charge, and put up a reasonable fight against a dai-yokozuna at his peak. Nothing to be ashamed of there, I would consider it Ozeki-level sumo.

Yes, he is THAT good.

Really a shame that there is no other rikishi left with this skill level...

Hasn't been story. Hakuho has driven, Hakuho has won. Too slow his makikae (closed from Hakuho, not a case) and impossible, to him, to react at the yokozuna's pression.

Baruto should be proud of his effort against Hakuho. He stopped the initial charge, and put up a reasonable fight against a dai-yokozuna at his peak. Nothing to be ashamed of there, I would consider it Ozeki-level sumo.

I disagree. It wasn't Ozeki-level sumo or anything even close to it. It was the sumo of an outclassed rikishi facing a completely dominant yokozuna. Baruto didn't put up an even reasonable fight. It was no fight at all. This match shows how Hakuho is light years ahead of anyone else--including someone with an extremely promising future who soon will be promoted to ozeki.

I disagree. It wasn't Ozeki-level sumo or anything even close to it. It was the sumo of an outclassed rikishi facing a completely dominant yokozuna. Baruto didn't put up an even reasonable fight. It was no fight at all. This match shows how Hakuho is light years ahead of anyone else--including someone with an extremely promising future who soon will be promoted to ozeki.

His choice was to either pummel for underhook or just wait for Hakuhos offensive. He chose the riskier way as it would inevitably put him in a vulnerable position for a short time, but at least he had an attack in mind.

His choice was to either pummel for underhook or just wait for Hakuhos offensive. He chose the riskier way as it would inevitably put him in a vulnerable position for a short time, but at least he had an attack in mind.

I don't think he chose anything. He was totally frozen by his own nerves (by his own account, apparently). No tachiai, no visible strategy-he was able to stop Hakuhou's initial charge which is good in itself, but leaning against him, was quite befuddled as to how to continue. At the critical maki-kae (changing grips) stage, where most bouts are won or lost (last basho, Baruto won after a maki-kae) he completely lost it and it was over. A maki-kae without a plan usually ends that way.

Edited by Kintamayama

I suppose that Baruto has secured Ozeki promotion and Jun-yusho now. It is time to drink champagne and wish him to be number one Estonian sportman this year. (Blinking...)

I suppose that Baruto has secured Ozeki promotion and Jun-yusho now. It is time to drink champagne and wish him to be number one Estonian sportman this year. (Blinking...)

If he manages to keep his focus and get 2 more wins out of next 3 fights, then yes, promotion should be secure. But nothing is sure yet. And still there is faint chance that someone might still upset Hakuho and we may still see fight for yusho :D

I suppose that Baruto has secured Ozeki promotion and Jun-yusho now. It is time to drink champagne and wish him to be number one Estonian sportman this year. (Holiday feeling...)

yep, it is a done deal now. I wonder if Baruto is signaling a European invasion to come? History might be repeating itself. First Mongols, then Europeans attempt to invade Japan. Good for the sport though.

I suppose that Baruto has secured Ozeki promotion and Jun-yusho now. It is time to drink champagne and wish him to be number one Estonian sportman this year. (Holiday feeling...)

yep, it is a done deal now. I wonder if Baruto is signaling a European invasion to come? History might be repeating itself. First Mongols, then Europeans attempt to invade Japan. Good for the sport though.

I'm all for the guy, but it's too early to celebrate yet. Miyabiyama may be a relative pushover, but you never know when the other two will pull out something interesting. I wouldn't give Baruto 3 more shiroboshi just yet.

I'm all for the guy, but it's too early to celebrate yet. Miyabiyama may be a relative pushover, but you never know when the other two will pull out something interesting. I wouldn't give Baruto 3 more shiroboshi just yet.

Well, Baruto is on the roll and he knows it. He seems to have much stronger mentality than Kotooshu and Miyabiyama for that matter. He will pull it.

Any rikishi with little bit of sense, would have used the moment to push Bart out. Before that he let Hakoho get right belt grip too easily, not even trying to block it. Was he intimidated by Hakuho? Or is Hakuho really so good that makes everyone else look stupid? Or maybe i just dont understand sumo at all....

I read the sentences several times and all I can conclude is the last summation is the only thing that rings truth.

I have seen enough time Takanohana switched his hands to get a better mawashi grip and most rikishi either with no or little or whole lotta sense could not have pushed him out. Whenever one tries to do it, there is always a risk but taking the risk often gets you in more advantageous position that leads to a win.

And the second point is that no rikishi lets Hakuho to get the mawashi easily but it happens that way because Hakuho can step out of tachiai harder than any other rikishi now so he is on much firmer ground to get the mawashi quickly and securely, it isn't a matter of blocking it or not blocking it.

Often a skilled rikishi makes it so easy but it isn't so at all, just go out and see even lower Juryo rikishi bouts. Most of them struggle all so mightily to gain an advantageous position that Hakuho gets more often than not.

Regardless of who the yokozuna is, they don't get there by accident. Putting together two yusho isn't something easily done. If his opponent lasts more than 10 seconds against the yokozuna, he has done well.

I have even seen Baruto compete in Jonokuchi and what he is today and what he was then, we cannot compare. Even from a year ago, he has improved so much from pure power sumo to thinking man's sumo with firm set strategy against each opponent. But going against a live opponent as opposed to on paper, there are always some intangibles. By looking at his sumo this basho, he has just right mix of power and techniques, and with keeping focus for the next three days, he should clear the hurdle with no problem.

Right now he is the closest to Hakuho than anyone else. It isn't a title that matters. We should see some excitement as the basho closes.