Sign in to follow this  
Otokonoyama

A Matter of Size

2011265785.jpg

A comedy about a 'coming out' of a different kind - overweight people learning to accept themselves.

A group of fat people from the Israeli city of Ramla is fed up with the sanctity of diets and the 'Dictatorship of the Thinness' of the diet workshop they participate in. They leave it and discover the world of sumo, where fat people like them are honored and appreciated. Through sumo they are connecting to themselves and to their fat body, each one in his own way. Herzl an obese guy, starts to work as a dish washer in a Japanese restaurant in Israel. Herzl is exposed to the world of Sumo through Kitano, the restaurant manager, who was a Sumo coach in Japan and escaped to Israel, after he got involved with the Yakuza. Herzl falls in love with the Sumo world and wants Kitano to be the Sumo coach of his obese friends that gave up their diet. "My Own Private Sumo" is a movie about the coming out of the closet of fat people and about their ability to accept their fatness and relate to their body through the world of sumo.

Was this in any way inspired by Sadogatake Beya visit to Israel?

Theres a trailer for this movie now. http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/indepen.../amatterofsize/ I will probably go see it, it looks genuinely funny.

I saw the film with my wife. I was not that much impressed but there were some funny scenes. There were even some sumo related inaccuracies but I simply had to see it with my sumo interest and a friend acquiring citizenship in Izrael. My wife told me, it was the last time she went to see an unknown movie recommended by me (Sign of approval...)

Theres a trailer for this movie now. http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/indepen.../amatterofsize/ I will probably go see it, it looks genuinely funny.

I saw the film with my wife. I was not that much impressed but there were some funny scenes. There were even some sumo related inaccuracies but I simply had to see it with my sumo interest and a friend acquiring citizenship in Izrael. My wife told me, it was the last time she went to see an unknown movie recommended by me (Sign of approval...)

Since someone I know was the sumo consultant to the movie, can you tell me sumo=related inaccuracies you found aside from the fact that it was amasumo and the rikishi had red mawashis on?

I thing it's a great movie- unpretentious, real and moving at times. I was involved in the process from the very beginning and was the one who pushed them forward when they weren't sure if it would work - I told them they have a gigantic hit on their hands, and boy, do they... Rights sold for a re-make in America, etc.. etc..

Me me me.

I also know all the actors (one of them starred on a successful TV drama we did togethter-he was an inmate, I was a prison warden), the directors (it was directed by two directors together..) If you go see it, there's a scene in the Japanese restaurant where there's a TV in the background showing Sumo. Some guy is doing the commentary in Japanese.

Me me me.

I am a star.

BTW, the lead actor Itzik Cohen made it to the finals of, believe it or not, our version of "Dancing with the Stars" and finished second.

Edited by Kintamayama

Was this in any way inspired by Sadogatake Beya visit to Israel?

The original draft was written about a year before the trip. I invited them to see the matches (me me me) and reserved them dohyo-side places, since I am well connected here...

I saw the film with my wife. I was not that much impressed but there were some funny scenes. There were even some sumo related inaccuracies but I simply had to see it with my sumo interest and a friend acquiring citizenship in Izrael. My wife told me, it was the last time she went to see an unknown movie recommended by me ;-)

Since someone I know was the sumo consultant to the movie, can you tell me sumo=related inaccuracies you found aside from the fact that it was amasumo and the rikishi had red mawashis on?

I should have known you might have cooperated on the film (Blinking...). As I saw the movie two months ago, I don

I think it looks FANTASTIC! The trailer was hilarious, I watched it a few times, and I can't wait to see the film. Wish I could find out if and when and where it opens in LA, will keep looking. Congratulations Kinta for being involved in something so freaking cool!!! (Holiday feeling...)

I think it looks FANTASTIC! The trailer was hilarious, I watched it a few times, and I can't wait to see the film. Wish I could find out if and when and where it opens in LA, will keep looking. Congratulations Kinta for being involved in something so freaking cool!!! (Exclamation...)

LA- as promised- May 8th.

http://www.filmgecko.net/2010/05/04/l-a-je...sumo-wrestling/

http://www.lajfilmfest.org/

Edited by Kintamayama

I liked the hearfelt warm atmosphere of the movie and I liked its looks. No real sumo-mistakes but very shortened on some aspects. And colured Mawashi aren't that unusual in Sumo. I remember Rikishi weariing black Mawashi and Sandra Köppen from Germany wore i.e. a red Mawashi.

I enjoyed and liked to read Motis name in the final titles. Expected him there. ;)