Sign in to follow this  
Zeokage

Aim For Yokozuna

Aim of the game:

To pick one rikishi for the wins, another for the losses, add them together and get the highest total. For example last basho, the best score in Makuuchi in this game under these beta rules would have been a Kyokutenho (12 wins) and Hokutoriki/Ryuo (12 losses) pairing. You just have to do this for Makuuchi and Juryo (last basho would have been a Baruto and Daimanazuru pairing for the win).

How to enter:

Pick 4 rikishi, 2 from Makuuchi (not including Yokozuna/Ozeki) and 2 from Juryo. Post whether you want the wins or losses to count for that rikishi. Those kyujo before you make your entry will make your pick invalid. I'll contact you about a replacement as soon as I see the problem, or just post (please no edits) your replacement in this thread if you spot it first.

For the purposes of the beta test, like last time you can enter 3 groups each. :)

Makuuchi Wins:

Makuuchi Losses:

Juryo Wins:

Juryo Losses:

The deadline for this game is 2pm JST on the first day of the basho, the same as most of the other games based on the sekitori.

Sansho:

These are just an idea for the sansho. If anyone has any other ideas please feel free to post them. I tried to make them in a way that would represent the meaning of the real prizes...

To get a prize, you must have a KK, and a quartet that have fought on all 15 days.

Outstanding Performance Award (Shukun-sho): Rikishi who gets more separate wins/losses than the rikishi who wins the basho.

Technique Award (Gino-sho): Get the best choice in 3 of the 4 groups, or the best sole options for the same division.

Fighting Spirit Award (Kanto-sho): Take the numerical rank of the real rikishi on the banzuke, and compare with the numerical rank from their records after the basho.

(Banzuke rank – Basho rank) for Winners... for example last basho, Goeido (banzuke rank #32 - basho rank #2) = 30 elevator points.

(Basho rank – Banzuke rank) for Losers... for example last basho Shunketsu (basho rank joint #15 - banzuke rank #9) = 6 elevator points.

Highest total for all 4 rikishi gets the prize.

Original Discussion (March 2007)

Attempt 1 (May 2007)

Attempt 2 (November 2007)

I've had this game on my mind for a long while and would like to try and get it running again. But as Asashosakari said back then, more sample basho are needed to handle the number of entries we might have. Rules might just have to be changed completely, maybe even adding a rikishi to the W and L columns for each entry for a wider spread of entries. There's a risk of it becoming too similar to the Hoshitori and UDH games if there we have to select too many rikishi.

I guess the question is: Is AFY still a game worth playing? If so, would any changes need to be made from the beta tests we did back then?

Bumpage as I'm sure it got lost in the flow of active game threads...

Makuuchi wins: Baruto

Makuuchi losses: Aran

Juryo wins: Gagamaru

Juryo losses: Daido

Nice game idea. Let's see how it works.

Here are my 3 entries:

Makuuchi Wins: Baruto

Makuuchi Losses: Tamawashi

Juryo Wins: Futeno

Juryo Losses: Kaiho

Makuuchi Wins: Tamanoshima

Makuuchi Losses: Okinoumi

Juryo Wins: Gagamaru

Juryo Losses: Masuraumi

Makuuchi Wins: Kotoshogiku

Makuuchi Losses: Tosayutaka

Juryo Wins: Tamaasuka

Juryo Losses: Tosanoumi

Oh, are you giving this game a go again ? As I liked it pretty much, here are my 3 entries :

Vikanohara

Mak W: Baruto

Mak L : Sagatsukasa

Jur. W: Sakaizawa

Jur. L : Asofuji

Vikanosato

Mak W: Tochinoshin

Mak L : Wakanosato

Jur. W: Gagamaru

Jur. L : Wakakoyu

Vikanoyama

Mak W: Goeido

Mak L : Hakuba

Jur. W: Futeno

Jur. L : Kaiho

If only more players would join.

Oh why the hell not. :-)

Sakaritoba

MW: Baruto

ML: Tosayutaka

JW: Sokokurai

JL: Kiyoseumi

Sakarizakura

MW: Kisenosato

ML: Tokitenku

JW: Gagamaru

JL: Daido

Sakarikaze

MW: Goeido

ML: Tamawashi

JW: Shotenro

JL: Wakakoyu

Zenjimoto:

MW: Baruto

ML: Tamawashi

JW: Gagamaru

JL: Asofuji

Youchiken:

MW: Hokutoriki

ML: Toyohibiki

JW: Sadanofuji

JL: Daido

Chikenshitenku:

MW: Okinoumi

ML: Kyokutenho

JW: Shotenro

JL: Masuraumi

Edited by Zenjimoto

Here they are! I did them manually on Excel so I hope I didn't miss anything.

Sakaritoba 44 (12-3)

Gusoyama 42 (12-3)

Feginowaka 3 42 (12-3)

Feginowaka 1 41 (11-4)

Zenjimoto: 40 (11-4)

Vikanohara 36 (10-5)

Chikenshitenku: 35 (9-6)

Vikanosato 32 (8-7)

Youchiken: 32 (8-7)

Feginowaka 2 29 (7-8)

Sakarizakura 28 (7-8)

Vikanoyama 26 (6-9)

Sakarikaze 25 (6-9)

Mean Score: 34.76923077

Edited by Zeokage

Prizes would be thus:

Shukun-sho: No prize given as no-one could beat Sakaritoba's 22-22 set of results. Gusoyama and Zenjimoto also had 22 wins.

Gino-sho: Gusoyama for getting the perfect Makuuchi set of rikishi. Feginowaka 1 also got 2 out of 4 possible maximums (Makuuchi wins and Juryo losses).

Kanto-sho: Feginowaka 3

BTW, if this game goes further I'd strongly advise reworking that W-L calculation you used on last basho's results.

I agree with you there, I tried to use one of the formulae suggested in this thread but on closer inspection I suspect I used the incorrect one in my haste looking at the results. I'll give it another go when I get some free time.

Sakaritoba 44 (12-3)

Gusoyama 42 (11-4)

Feginowaka 3 42 (11-4)

Feginowaka 1 41 (11-4)

Zenjimoto: 40 (10-5)

Vikanohara 36 (8-7)

Chikenshitenku: 35 (8-7)

Vikanosato 32 (7-8)

Youchiken: 32 (7-8)

Feginowaka 2 29 (5-10)

Sakarizakura 28 (5-10)

Vikanoyama 26 (4-11)

Sakarikaze 25 (3-12)

Mean Score: 34.76923077

I've redone the W-L table using the "Max = Maximum Achievable, and Min = Median - (MaxAch - Median) = 2*Median - MaxAch" formula, and it looks a bit better now.