Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Asashouryuu-after intai preparations

I was hoping that the rumours about him attending the Chelsea Flower Show would pick up steam this month, but no (Laughing...)

Edited by Takamizakura

I was hoping that the rumours about him attending the Chelsea Flower Show would pick up steam this month, but no (Applauding...)

He's on his way. It's true.

spf1005220503000-p1.jpg

KFullNormal20100522153_l.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

I was hoping he was actually going to show up at the basho one of these days.

Ex-Asashouryuu has left the UK for Mongolia and will return to Japan on June 10th, says his manager. The team did not win the gold medal at the flower show, and the very disappointed Asa has expressed his wish to return next year as well. Asa also expressed his concern for Kotomitsuki and his current problems.

"If he gets indicted, we'll have to think about it," said Takasago Oyakata regarding the danpatsushiki. Charges have been filed against him, so everyone is waiting to see what will happen.

Sumo champ Asashoryu starts MMA camp

Retired sumo star Asashoryu might be serious about mixed martial arts, after all.

An official with World Victory Road says Asashoryu has started an MMA team for athletes from his native country of Mongolia, according to the Nightmare of Battle. World Victory Road runs Sengoku Raiden Championships, one of Japan's two leading MMA brands along with K-1's Dream organization.

Dream and Sengoku have been open about their interest in Asashoryu as soon as he announced his retirement from sumo in February, following his latest controversial episode in a career rife with them.

Sumo athletes generally have not done well in MMA competition, but none as talented or accomplished as Asashoryu, who was just the third non-Japanese in sumo's long history to become a yokozuna, the sport's highest rank. A surprisingly quick and agile 330-pounder, he ranks third on the all-time list for tournament wins at the top level of sumo.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/mm...arts-mma-camp/1

It's so sad. I'm still so sad he's gone :(

I'm sad he's gone from sumo, too (Sign of disapproval...) . Between his leaving and the absences this basho, sumo is not as exciting for since I can't watch my lower ranked favorites on TV anyway. I would love to have seen who would have won the yusho had he been in it with the reduced competition.

I would love to have seen who would have won the yusho had he been in it with the reduced competition.

Hakuho, no doubt about it.

I would love to have seen who would have won the yusho had he been in it with the reduced competition.

Also, what reduced competition?

Asashoryu should probably be happy he was forced out when he was. I'm not sure he gets away with a "voluntary" retirement and a 120 million yen golden handshake in the current environment.

Edited by Asashosakari

Also, what reduced competition?

Asashoryu should probably be happy he was forced out when he was. I'm not sure he gets away with a "voluntary" retirement and a 120 million yen golden handshake in the current environment.

You have your opinion and I have mine, Pierre. You are Boston and I'm New York - Yankees, that is.

You have your opinion and I have mine, Pierre. You are Boston and I'm New York - Yankees, that is.

As near as I can tell, your opinion seems to be that having Asashoryu active for as long as possible would have been so goshdarned important that it was worth risking permanent damage to his historical reputation by potentially becoming the first yokozuna to receive an official dismissal. I don't know if that's (sorry, I have to say it) just fangirl myopia on your part or what, but - I didn't particularly want to see Asashoryu gone in January because it was clearly going to reduce the level of suspense at the top*, but with the benefit of hindsight I feel both Ozumo and Asashoryu can count themselves lucky to have parted ways when they did. Everyone would have been a loser if things had escalated to a dismissal, as they almost surely would have eventually.

It's not that I'm happy that he's gone - I actually do miss the on-the-dohyo part of Asashoryu quite a bit - I'm happy that he went in such a relatively quiet way, considering the likely alternative. Five years from now almost nobody will care that Asashoryu's career ended with a public brawl and a police investigation (at least as long as he does nothing to remind people of it) - that's a moral victory for him, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, you could just ask Asashoryu the next time you see him what he thinks how well he would have fared if his career had extended for another six months and his various scandals and scandalettes had been rehashed yet again in the current press frenzy.

* Though even I'm surprised of the extent...I wonder what odds the yakuza bookies would have given me on a 45-0 run by Hakuho in February?

SNIP

I don't know if that's (sorry, I have to say it) just fangirl myopia on your part or what, but - Anyway, you could just ask Asashoryu the next time you see him what he thinks how well he would have fared if his career had extended for another six months and his various scandals and scandalettes had been rehashed yet again in the current press frenzy.

SNIP

Excuse me, but you're the one with the myopia because you obviously don't know the extent of my relationship with him, his family, his ex-wife and his non-sumo contacts. FYI, when I "see" him, we do not speak of his or anyone else's sumo; we have other topics of conversation - children, current events, fine wine, fine dining, to name a few. He is a very astute businessman and accomplished in a number of activities.

Yes, I will miss him on the dohyo and he will always be considered a dai-yokozuna, but our personal relationship will continue both here in the US and in Mongolia. You can continue to bait me, but I'm done with this conversation, thank you very much.

"Insider" doesn't have to be a former Rikishi or so, but people who know Sumo well - let's say those commentators of NHK who might need a new job...

"Insider" doesn't have to be a former Rikishi or so, but people who know Sumo well - let's say those commentators of NHK who might need a new job...

Or the people who have been trying to get taken on as NHK commentators ... (Shaking head...)

Orion

Asashouryuu came to yesterday's rijikai asking for the rikishi's support for his danpatsushiki, as is customary. "I haven't done any keiko-not even one push up. but my body is still supple.. It's going to be my last dohyo appearance so I will gambarize" he declared. As for the scandals- "No comment".