Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Asashouryuu-after intai preparations

He's not a rikishi anymore. He can wear his hair however he pleases. Just reporters trying to make copy.

And yet, ALL retired rikishi I have seen in public (you've seen more, but I've seen Wakanohana, Youtsukasa, Kotonowaka, Asanoshou) are always with mage till their DPS.

He's not a rikishi anymore. He can wear his hair however he pleases. Just reporters trying to make copy.

And yet, ALL retired rikishi I have seen in public (you've seen more, but I've seen Wakanohana, Youtsukasa, Kotonowaka, Asanoshou) are always with mage till their DPS.

Maybe that's because they were still with the Kyokai, in a manner of speaking, and also given security or other jobs with the Kyokai until their danpatsu? And continued to have tsukebito? (Not defending, just asking). Asashoryu is not permitted to remain with the Kyokai. And, yeah, I know, he's still going to have a public danpatsu, but he can't really travel with a hairdresser or a sumo assistant anymore, I suppose.

I was wondering the same question, basically. What are now his obligations to the kyokai, after announcing his retirement and having the DPS ceremony performed? (Apart from not cutting his hair, I mean)

he is still on the banzuke, will also have to pose for a Yusho portrait, I guess (when he was banned because of the football, Takasago returned the Emperor's cup - now I believe it is not an option). But is he still part of the heya, has he to ask permissions from his employer like before, has he to carry still the big burden (for him) of the yokozunish behavior?

I was wondering the same question, basically. What are now his obligations to the kyokai, after announcing his retirement and having the DPS ceremony performed? (Apart from not cutting his hair, I mean)

he is still on the banzuke, will also have to pose for a Yusho portrait, I guess (when he was banned because of the football, Takasago returned the Emperor's cup - now I believe it is not an option). But is he still part of the heya, has he to ask permissions from his employer like before, has he to carry still the big burden (for him) of the yokozunish behavior?

Will he be on the banzuke being published Monday, though? I also wondered about the yusho portrait presentation in May outside the Kokugikan.

One more question, who will do the yumitori-shiki now? Is there someone from Hakuho's heya that has the skills/will do it?

Will he be on the banzuke being published Monday, though?

Speculation about that here:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19702

One more question, who will do the yumitori-shiki now?

There's an answer about that here:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?...9643&st=234

Edited by ryafuji

Will he be on the banzuke being published Monday, though?

Speculation about that here:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=19702

One more question, who will do the yumitori-shiki now?

There's an answer about that here:

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?...9643&st=234

Thanks, Ryafuji-zeki. I must have ADD - completely missed both of those postings (Blowing up furiously...)

There is a very real possibility that Asashouryuu will be questioned by the police after all. If he will eventually be charged, there is a possibility the Kyokai will not allow him to hold that danpatsushiki on October the 3rd. So nothing is over yet.

Just so you know.

PK2010022502100018_size0.jpg

Info on the shades:

Brand name- Less Than Human

Designer- Asashouryuu Akinori. "After my 23rd yusho in January 2009, I had a meeting with the brand manager and designed it. How is it?? I decided on the color on my own as well!", he told a reporter.

Edited by Kintamayama

Info on the shades:

Designer- Asashouryuu Akinori. "After my 23rd yusho in January 2009, I had a meeting with the brand manager and designed it. How is it?? I decided on the color on my own as well!", he told a reporter.

Looks like he forgot to put the lenses in them. (Laughing...)

PK2010022502100018_size0.jpg

Info on the shades:

New career move? He is predictably unpredictable.

According to reports he has been in New York for "business negotiations".

So for the last 19 days he has been away enjoying himself and doing his personal business negotiations and for most of us on this Forum probably won't make much of it as after all he has been let go by the Kyokai, and he now owes them nothing now.

And here I am making a distinction of cultural difference that he has learned nothing about what are fundamentally the culture, traditions and values in Japan (shared by those raised in Japan regardless of ethnic background).

He is seen someone who came to Japan as a boy through generosity of educational institution and those who contributed and supported to their efforts. Since the time he entered the world of Ozumo and throughout his career, he has been helped and supported by many connected with Ozumo and his heya as well as many from the sumo community including merchants near the heya.

Let's even ignore his background and take an example of another recent yokozuna who left the Kyokai shortly after his active career, Wakanohana III. The days following his "retirement", he went around all whom he knew and supported him through his life in Ozumo, thanking them personally. He didn't just fly over to Hawaii to play golf (he did that later). But when we talk about beyond one's background and learning nothing of the values that are fundamental to Japanese psyche, you cannot accuse many Japanese who find hm his conduct to be lacking.

There is "common sense" one learns even by just hanging around but he never appeared to have learned a lot. For instance did he know that the okamisan and his heya officials visited every neighbor and merchant around the heya with a gift to apologize for causing disturbance and inconvenience every time there was his yusho parade prior to the parade.

While it is not a duty of yokozuna to be involved in his heya's operations, he was more than likely spending his time partying rather than taking care of supporters who may not be major contributors but supporters nonetheless even though they may not contribute to him financially. If he decides to stay and be involved in business himself, then he will have to learn to do it finally but then he may not stick around there for long so he may not care at all.

So for the last 19 days he has been away enjoying himself and doing his personal business negotiations and for most of us on this Forum probably won't make much of it as after all he has been let go by the Kyokai, and he now owes them nothing now.

And here I am making a distinction of cultural difference that he has learned nothing about what are fundamentally the culture, traditions and values in Japan (shared by those raised in Japan regardless of ethnic background).

He is seen someone who came to Japan as a boy through generosity of educational institution and those who contributed and supported to their efforts. Since the time he entered the world of Ozumo and throughout his career, he has been helped and supported by many connected with Ozumo and his heya as well as many from the sumo community including merchants near the heya.

Let's even ignore his background and take an example of another recent yokozuna who left the Kyokai shortly after his active career, Wakanohana III. The days following his "retirement", he went around all whom he knew and supported him through his life in Ozumo, thanking them personally. He didn't just fly over to Hawaii to play golf (he did that later). But when we talk about beyond one's background and learning nothing of the values that are fundamental to Japanese psyche, you cannot accuse many Japanese who find hm his conduct to be lacking.

There is "common sense" one learns even by just hanging around but he never appeared to have learned a lot. For instance did he know that the okamisan and his heya officials visited every neighbor and merchant around the heya with a gift to apologize for causing disturbance and inconvenience every time there was his yusho parade prior to the parade.

While it is not a duty of yokozuna to be involved in his heya's operations, he was more than likely spending his time partying rather than taking care of supporters who may not be major contributors but supporters nonetheless even though they may not contribute to him financially. If he decides to stay and be involved in business himself, then he will have to learn to do it finally but then he may not stick around there for long so he may not care at all.

Apologizing for disurbances and inconveniences on a early SUNDAY NIGHT??? Give me a break. Millions of Yens were los, I guess. (In a state of confusion...)

Jonosuke, when will your Anti-Asa rants stop? When the guy is dead? I guess not even then....

You can enjoy the Hakuho-Yawn fest soon to start, what more do you want? Leave the guy alone.

Edited by Otokonoyama
add missing quote tag

Oh well (sigh). There are still some people who don't get it. Asa is not doing these due to a lack of understanding or learning this and that. He is doing it deliberately. Don't you get it? ghhh... He was a good student at the beginning, and became more and more rebellious recently. He is revolting. He has no shortage of support in Japan, as far as business concerned.

He is who he is and there is nothing we (especially you) can do about it.

Oh well (sigh). There are still some people who don't get it. Asa is not doing these due to a lack of understanding or learning this and that. He is doing it deliberately. Don't you get it? ghhh... He was a good student at the beginning, and became more and more rebellious recently.

Except of course that that's extremely simplified. He had the "rebellious" thing going back in 2002-2004 as well, then calmed down considerably for a year or two (funny, right when he was unstoppable on the dohyo), then it flared up again (funny, right when he stopped being unstoppable on the dohyo) until his untimely exit. Maybe it's all been intentional all this time - do people really decide to be uncontrollable drunks? - but I think it's more likely that Asashoryu is simply the equivalent of a career sandanme as far as social norms go. Learned the very basics, had a brief spell of bigger success, then dropped back to his natural level.

I've said so before and I'll gladly reiterate - all the people who expect Asashoryu's post-sumo life to be all sun and peaches will likely have another think coming. He's not gonna lose the propensity for getting himself into questionable situations along with the mage, and if he's unlucky a lot more people will be complaining about it now that he's "only" a celebrity and not a Mongolian representative whose reputation needs to be defended at all costs. That said, I for one won't care at all, as long as he manages to keep it unconnected to ozumo and I only have to read about it in Off-Topic.

Edited by Asashosakari

Oh well (sigh). There are still some people who don't get it. Asa is not doing these due to a lack of understanding or learning this and that. He is doing it deliberately. Don't you get it? ghhh... He was a good student at the beginning, and became more and more rebellious recently.

Except of course that that's extremely simplified. He had the "rebellious" thing going back in 2002-2004 as well, then calmed down considerably for a year or two (funny, right when he was unstoppable on the dohyo), then it flared up again (funny, right when he stopped being unstoppable on the dohyo) until his untimely exit. Maybe it's all been intentional all this time - do people really decide to be uncontrollable drunks? - but I think it's more likely that Asashoryu is simply the equivalent of a career sandanme as far as social norms go. Learned the very basics, had a brief spell of bigger success, then dropped back to his natural level.

I've said so before and I'll gladly reiterate - all the people who expect Asashoryu's post-sumo life to be all sun and peaches will likely have another think coming. He's not gonna lose the propensity for getting himself into questionable situations along with the mage, and if he's unlucky a lot more people will be complaining about it now that he's "only" a celebrity and not a Mongolian representative whose reputation needs to be defended at all costs. That said, I for one won't care at all, as long as he manages to keep it unconnected to ozumo and I only have to read about it in Off-Topic.

Well, I agree that he is a career sandamne in social norms. The question is was he able to learn the social norms? Of course he had such a respectable career that he had enough time and opportunity to learn. However, does he choose to act this way is another question. I suspect, he always chooses his way above the other ways, one or the other way.

I don't think he deliberately chose to be uncontrollable drunk. But he chose to ignore all the warnings and let himself behave like nothing happened before.

He may not have chosen to specifically act like these today. But he certainly have chosen to ignore the social norms expected of retired Yokozuna.

Apologizing for disurbances and inconveniences on a early SUNDAY NIGHT??? Give me a break. Millions of Yens were los, I guess. (In a state of confusion...)

Jonosuke, when will your Anti-Asa rants stop? When the guy is dead? I guess not even then....

You can enjoy the Hakuho-Yawn fest soon to start, what more do you want? Leave the guy alone.

Since you probably never lived long enough in Japan or not familiar with how the heya treats their neighbors, there is no point in debating you. Either you know them or you don't. No common ground to start a discussion. If you are not convinced, just go around any heya and talk to their neighbors and how often someone from the heya visits their house even if there is no yusho parade. You may be excused for not knowing but Asashoryu should have know.

Actually I have not said the values or customs or traditions in Japan are good or bad, it's that either he never attempted to learn them or if learned, never attempted to put them into practice. Perhaps the primary fault lies with the Japanese who more often than not treat a foreign born person as a Japanese however long he lived in Japan as they just figure he would never understand so that he would never learn.

It's just that however you are talented, however hard you worked, you don't get there all by yourself. He is not what he is now without generosity of the donors for Meitoku Gijuku or time and efforts spent by the teachers and others at school so that he could continue his education there. If it weren't for the people at Takasago Beya or those supported the heya through their donation or support of the local community, he would not have had a chance to become what he has. How hard it is to take a walk around the heya to thank in the neighborhood for instance?

I am not trying to make you understand the Japanese way of life, which is foreign to you but Asashoryu has lived through it, so the least he could have done was to thank those supported him and the heya throughout his career before he goes on and does other personal things which he is free to do the rest of his life. All the wins do not make a good yokozuna.

Apropos "Jonosuke's anti-Asashoryu rants", here's a blast from the past, specifically the ponytail "affair" in 2003. For the benefit of those who've been late to the party and somehow think that everybody who is critical of Asashoryu has always been that way...

Apropos "Jonosuke's anti-Asashoryu rants", here's a blast from the past, specifically the ponytail "affair" in 2003. For the benefit of those who've been late to the party and somehow think that everybody who is critical of Asashoryu has always been that way...

Extremely interesting-great find there.. As an aside, the person answering the thread signs off as "That Guy". Could that be the future "That Satsu Guy"?

Extremely interesting-great find there.. As an aside, the person answering the thread signs off as "That Guy". Could that be the future "That Satsu Guy"?

I think no, but I'm relatively sure I did find a very old SML post (from the 1990s) by TSG once. Or was it Sebunshu? Some Sumotalk regular anyway whom I'd never have connected with the SML until I stumbled upon it...

That said, I for one won't care at all, as long as he manages to keep it unconnected to ozumo and I only have to read about it in Off-Topic.

Who cares what you care?

That said, I for one won't care at all, as long as he manages to keep it unconnected to ozumo and I only have to read about it in Off-Topic.

Who cares what you care?

Evidently you do. (In a state of confusion...) Thanks for reading!

So don't be too harsh on him, as he develops more

yokozuna like quality, he will yet acquire wisdom and

attain enlightment.

Never did happen, I guess.

Ex-Asashouryuu is laying low after returning to Japan, some even say vanished. One of his people said he was at home "resting". His koenkai is totally pissed with this. "It's been nearly a month since his intai an he hasn't been in contact with any members. He should remember who helped him out and supported him all this time", said a koenkai-connected person. :"If this continues and the Koenkai members will be angered, there's a good chance his danpatsushiki will be called off!", added the person.

"I haven't heard from him at all", added Takasago Oyakata.

Now, go back and read Jonosuke's post.

Does anybody know this man?

OSK201003010059.jpg

He apparently chronicled Asashoryu's last 10 years through photographs and became a close friend in the process. (article)

Does anybody know this man?

OSK201003010059.jpg

He apparently chronicled Asashoryu's last 10 years through photographs and became a close friend in the process. (article)

He's just a guy, probably Yunomurasan, 79, described as an "amateur cameraman". He is from Osaka, and started photographing Asa in March 2000, when he first came to watch keiko at Wakamatsu beya at Kinki university's sumo keikoba. No matter how many times he was thrown around in training, Asa was back begging for more, and that caught his eye. "How long have you been in Sumo", asked the man, to which Asa replied "2 years". He was in Makushita then (I saw him 6 months later and made my now world- famous observation..MD). He then followed Asa to Nagoya and Tokyo. After a while Asa started calling him "old man"- "Your hair has grown white", "Let's have chanko together", he would say to him. In 2003, it was Takasago beya, Asa was Sekiwake, and at a supporters party before Haru basho the man said "You're becoming famous, no way you'll come visit me now.." "Yes way! I'm coming over tomorrow!", retorted Asa. He came over the next day with a tsukebito, they had yakiniku, and the man showed Asa the pictures he took of him. "Let's organize an exhibition in Mongolia!", suggested Asa. The old man was skeptical but after a while received a message that Asa had reserved a hall in an art gallery in Ulan Batur and the exhibition was on. In August 2002 , after Asa was promoted to Ozeki, they went to Mongolia for the exhibition. "That was a great present", said the man. After 40 years of taking pictures, he had his first exhibition. They met at Haneda airport and went for a week. He had a car and a translator at his disposal and stayed in the vast plains in a "Bao" and drank horse milk sake with Asa. "Are you enjoying yourself? Are you eating enough?", Asa constantly asked, taking care of him.

Then Asashouryuu became Yokozuna and was constantly surrounded with people, so the chance to speak with him decreased. Then the Asa problems arose. "I guess he was being pampered and he must have lost his way.. Did he not have anyone to guide him or to consult with?", wondered the old man. Last year, another supporters' meeting in Osaka. The usual entourage was around Asa, but he saw the old man and called out to him- "Old man!!" "Gambarize!!", he answered and shook his hand. That was to be his last meeting with Asa as an active rikishi. The night of Asa's retirement he could not sleep. "Maybe I could have said something to him that might have helped..", he wondered.

He intends to go to the danpatsushiki for sure. "He had a small body but a lot of guts and gambarized well.. He gave me a dream and hope, and for that I'm thankful", he summed. This is what he intends to say to Asa when he sees him.

Edited by Kintamayama