Sign in to follow this  
sekihiryu

Asashoryu INTAI - Feb 4 2010

Live on channel YTV right now......the 25 time champ has gone.

He is reporting that he was his decision to retire, but who is buying that? not me.

20100204-362520-1-L.jpg

Edited by sekihiryu

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/sumo...2.htm?from=top

大相撲で歴代3位の優勝25回を果たしたモンゴル出身 の横綱朝青龍(本名・ドルゴルスレン・ダグワドルジ) (29)(高砂部屋)が4日午後、現役引退を表明した 。

1月の初場所開催中に都内で泥酔した上、男性の顔を 殴ってけがをさせた責任を自ら取った。横綱は「(理事 会で)世間を騒がせたという意見があった。今は晴れた ような気持ち」と語った。

朝青龍は日本国籍を取得しておらず、相撲協会に残る ことはできない。

(2010年2月4日15時24分 読売新聞)

English article: http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/...for-questioning

Edited by badboy27

Well, he's out... Some will celebrate, some will miss him. Only 29 years old. What a career though, and capped it with a yusho!

お疲れ様でした。

The Japanese article states that without obtaining Japanese nationality, there isn't a place with the Sumo Kyokai.

"朝青龍は日本国籍を取得しておらず、相撲協会に残る ことはできない"

It's kind of sad how his personal life had to affect his sumo career.

Edited by badboy27

Somewhat sad that it ended this way for him. But it feels like there was no other for him with all the shenanigans. Time to cancel the road to.. .. yusho. Road suddenly ended at a cliff.

It is quite possible that he made the decision himself finally saying enough is enough with damage control ways.

Press conference(s):

Takasago speaking (mostly)

Asashoryu speaking

Eventhough I never was a die-hard Asashoryu fan, I really admired his skills and his fighting spirit.

Sad to see a great fighter leaving this way! All the best for his future!

Edited by Raishu

I'm very sorry to see him go, especially like this.

He is reporting that he was his decision to retire, but who is buying that? not me.

I am. He was set to survive the latest affair.

Definitely. In the intai press conference Takasago mentions it was Asashoryu's decision and mindset. He seemed sincere, and as far as I can tell he was never great at hiding his real emotions.

Asashoryu is gone... is boredom here to stay ?

Looking at the number of posts in the last 12 hours I do not have the feeling that there is a sudden outburst of boredom. At the risk of being the only one here, I have to say that the decision to retire is right. He should have done it earlier, but at least he did it without being openly forced to. Now let's hope that a new contender for Hakuho will arise soon.

Now let's hope that a new contender for Hakuho will arise soon.

I think we'll see some wrestlers blossom without him around - guys like Harumafuji... hey even Kotooshu might stop looking so terrified when there's serious winning to be done.

Now let's hope that a new contender for Hakuho will arise soon.

I think we'll see some wrestlers blossom without him around - guys like Harumafuji... hey even Kotooshu might stop looking so terrified when there's serious winning to be done.

Well just from the fact that they'll replace Asa in the torikumi with a Maegashira, it should mean one more win per basho for Kotooshu, Haruma and Baruto. This is going to help Baruto's Ozeki run. Even Kisenosato might be able to take a yusho if Hakuho withdraws from a basho. He's certainly capable of challenging any of the Ozeki, including Baruto.

Hakuho's income will increase now that he doesn't have to share the kensho and yusho bonuses. He must be the happiest guy on Earth right now (possibly not including Asa, who might be very happy to blow this pop-stand).

Looking at the number of posts in the last 12 hours I do not have the feeling that there is a sudden outburst of boredom. At the risk of being the only one here, I have to say that the decision to retire is right. He should have done it earlier, but at least he did it without being openly forced to. Now let's hope that a new contender for Hakuho will arise soon.

Who is the most likely candidate ? Harumafuji ? Kotooshu ? Or even Baruto ? I cant see it happen in next couple of years at least. Ozekis are miserable and Baruto is not consistent enough, he is also too slow and clumsy. Hakuho will take lot of easy yushos in next years.

Too bad Asa is gone . Lot of excitement and tough competition in very top left with him.

One mans boredom is another mans hinkaku.

I think he's referring to the inevitable Hakuho yusho clinched on Day 1 of each basho. It was like that with Asa for a long time. Everybody was desperate for some excitement until Kotooshu, and later Hakuho, came along.

Press conference(s):

Takasago speaking (mostly)

Interesting to see the Japanese (presumably) commenting how boring sumo will be now, one them saying he will not watch it anymore. So there are exclusively Asa-fans among Japanese sumo fans, too. ;-)

Interesting to see the Japanese (presumably) commenting how boring sumo will be now, one them saying he will not watch it anymore. So there are exclusively Asa-fans among Japanese sumo fans, too. ;-)

Asa puts butts in seats. I can could picture people saying, "I want to go see Asashoryu fight." I can't picture nearly as many saying, "I want to go see Hakuho fight." Hakuho is a great fighter, but his sumo is boring and he's boring. Asa's sumo is was exciting and he's a fiery personality. If sumo fans want respectful dignity, why is Takamisakari so popular? I think people make bad assumptions about what the Japanese want (setting myself up for a comeback about the irony of my comment).

Edited by Kozaru

Asa puts butts in seats. I can picture people saying, "I want to go see Asashoryu fight." I can't picture nearly as many saying, "I want to go see Hakuho fight." Hakuho is a great fighter, but his sumo is boring and he's boring. Asa's sumo is exciting and he's a fiery personality. If sumo fans want respectful dignity, why is Takamisakari so popular? I think people make bad assumptions about what the Japanese want (setting myself up for a comeback about the irony of my comment).

The easy answer is of course "because Takamisakari is not a yokozuna", so he gets a break. Remember sumo is supposed to be the kokugi, the national sport, even though officially it isn't, so they (an undefined group of Japanese people) expect its top representative to be a showcase of the old Japanese virtues. Considering the strong ties sumo has had with some yakuza groups for decades, this is laughable. More popular among young Japanese people by far are K-1, soccer, etc.

Edited by kame

It's too sad. A real shock. I've seen the video with his interview but I did'n trust in his words. I thought: "It'a a pantomima...a fiction"...tomorrow Kyokai will say don't accept his Intai...but this isn't. It'a a real fact. The end of the sumo...