Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Haru, how are you? 2010 GTB

Hi!

We at the garbled GTB offices are quite surprised to see we already have three entries before we even said a word!! Additionally, we are well fit to remind you that after 10 years of manual toil, all things GTB have been moved to Doitsuyama's awesome database. Although this is old news, it still has me hyperventilating into a large brown sack.

This means everything is now fully automated. No more counting with fingers of both feet . An archive where you can see your whole gaming history flash before your very eyes has been erected. We thank Doitsuyama seriously, rabidly, and Bruce Lee . Andoreasu is as always the chief gyoji of choice, and for that we are eternally grapefruit.

We are gravely disappointed that participation was the lowest in many moons last basho, causing cries of anguish and mass resignations from GTB riji posts.. Please tell your friends and enemies about us. It's still free! Send this to 25 people you know NOW and I won't use the word "penis", which may cause this post to get dumped into your spam folder.

Yesss..

A Sumo maniac's work is never done .. This is an invitation to all gamers and non-gamers and their partnerds to play the world famous between bashos "Guess the Banzuke" (GTB) game. This is not an easy game to play (as opposed to love, which was such an easy game to play), and may take a few minutes to master. Yet, it is almost fulfilling and satisfying, a close second to crochet.

If you've never played before, you should, so join the fun and experience ripples of ecstasy!!

The exciting nifty entry form is online as you read.

Rules in 14 languages!!

English, German, French, Italian, Finnish, Spanish, Swedish, Hungarian ,

Polish, Estonian, Japanese, Hebrew, Russian, Yiddish and Dutch!!.

I'd like to thank Zenjimoto, Hoshifransu, Hoshifransu, Kaikitsune,

Leonishiki, Heiyu, Bandey, Kojamuri, Senpai, Amanogawa, Koukai, Rabbi Akiva and Faustonowaka (in

order of above languages..) for their translations, time and goodwill. I would also like them (or anyone else..) to check and see if everything

is still correct, as I have to change dates and stuff in languages I don't comprehend, yet use translation software, to some avail.

Tiebreaker-Most total guesses, then, the earlier entry, then, the person who has the tastiest rat.

One small rule addition- it's up to you to check if you are on the list of entries. We've been having quite a few complaints lately of entries getting eschewed by dogs, so from now on, it's going to be your fault, not the Internet's- it takes exactly one second to check. From now on - no monoiis on this matter will be accepted, as we are very strict and trigger-happy.

For rules, standings and torn ligaments, go directly to:

http://www.dichne.com/Guess.htm

For the nifty entry form:

http://sumodb.sumogames.com/gtb/gtbentry.aspx

For the new archives:

http://sumodb.sumogames.com/gtb/gtbarchive.aspx

For learning about the futility of recycling :

http://www.lancearmstrong.com/hintdeodorant.html

DEADLINE- Saturday, February 27th, 2010 at 18:00 GMT.

Good luck!!

Kintamayama, Andoreasu, Wooden Tiger, and Doitsuyama

Edited by Kintamayama

5 days to go (depending if you count the day zero or not etc.. etc.. etc..). 55 entrees so far. We plan on going over 90 again. Even I may enter.

This basho I will not be distracted with Chuck and miss the deadline. Last basho I wrote the entire banzuke guess out and just forgot to enter it and half way through banzuke day I realized that I hadn't submitted! Duh! Ok I am going now to enter!!!!

Well, in one of the lowest scoring bashos, our winner is Bealzbob with 32 correct guesses and a total of 53 points. Congratulations!! The Asashouryuu thingy really killed this time, although in the end it didn't make a big difference. And we did have 94 participants..

Milestones:

Feginowaka- 60 bashos

Kotononami- 30 bashos

Taxinohana - 30 bashos

Miyabivince - 30 bashos

Saruwatari - 30 bashos

Mysko -20 bashos

Holleshoryu- 20 bashos

If you want to know how well you did, go to:

http://www.dichne.com/Guess.htm

Thanks for playing, and now, on with the Ba-show!!

(On the banzuke...) (Shaking head...) (In a state of confusion...) (Applauding...)

First win ever. Can't believe it :D I changed my system a few basho ago and it has paid off.

First win ever. Can't believe it :D I changed my system a few basho ago and it has paid off.

Congratulations Bealzbob (In a state of confusion...)

I think after 10 years of successful playing GTB, I have to change my system as well.

Some ranks in the past Banzukes are really ... dubious? ... questionable? ... outrageous!

I could list "hundreds" of misplacings of the Banzuke Committee, but I only pick one:

in my opinion it's absolutely absurd that Goiedo (M2e 7-8) is placed ahead of Kotoshogiku (Ke 6-9) (On the banzuke...)

More and more, I think my new system should be like the committees's "system":

drinking lots of Sake and rolling dices...

Changing my system: more emphasis on rikishi popularity.

Ozumo isn't just a sport, and banzuke making isn't just about numbers.

Changing my system: more emphasis on rikishi popularity.

Good luck with that. Takamisakari tends to get a worse-than-expected rank the majority of the time when there's any possible doubt about his position, including on the banzuke just released. (Behind Okinoumi, seriously?) Popularity also didn't help Homasho grab a sanyaku spot on the handful of occasions where he might have. Unless that's what you meant by "more emphasis", I suppose... (At the other end of the popularity spectrum - Hokutoriki used to be treated pretty leniently on his regular 4-11 and worse results, lately not so much - see e.g. relative to Asasekiryu this time.)

And I agree with Feginowaka, Goeido in front of Kotoshogiku - especially relative to where Kakuryu landed - is just insane.

Congrats to the winner! (In a state of confusion...)

Clarifying: more emphasis on rikishi popularity among the powers-that-be. (In a state of confusion...)

Clarifying: more emphasis on rikishi popularity among the powers-that-be. ;-)

Good luck with that. ;-) Seriously though, I was of course the one pushing the conspiracy theory that Chiyohakuho got some slight preferential treatment while Kokonoe was still in the judging department (and thus on the banzuke committee), so I'm totally open to that idea. I just find it difficult to develop that into any kind of coherent banzuke-predicting strategy. (Much like most hunches...) Maybe others have been more successful, I dunno.

This basho I will not be distracted with Chuck and miss the deadline. Last basho I wrote the entire banzuke guess out and just forgot to enter it and half way through banzuke day I realized that I hadn't submitted! Duh! Ok I am going now to enter!!!!

I can't now remember what I was distracted by, but I tried to submit a day too late!!! Actually I didn't even know February was coming to an end and missed my own mother's birthday:-(

Sorry MoM...

And of course, I would have landed a respectable 12-3 had I known what day I was living and breathing.

And so it goes.

I can't now remember what I was distracted by, but I tried to submit a day too late!!! Actually I didn't even know February was coming to an end and missed my own mother's birthday:-(

Sorry MoM...

And of course, I would have landed a respectable 12-3 had I known what day I was living and breathing.

And so it goes.

You know I'm glad I'm not the only one!!