Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

Yokozuna Asashoryu Scandal - The Final Chapter

Not that it matters really, but Asa got a HUGE ovation at Ushiomaru's danpatsu yesterday.

They realized that it could very well be the last time he would appear on the dohyo as an active rikishi.

...there were loud shouts of "Drunken Bum," "Why don't ya hurry up and quit" and "Go home" from the spectators.

Those were from one singular person.. and I wouldn't put it past the tabloids to have "planted" him in the crowd to allow them to truthfully print what was said... Not that truthful is a prerequisite...

"It was all a lie! There was no assault!!", wrote the "victim" today in a document signed and presented to the Kyokai.. This development (if proven true and not some rumor) may change things, but many questions arise as to why the sudden change of version.

If [...] Ryu was too drunk to remember, technically he and the oyakata didn't lie to the rijicho. That is also another critical difference.

But that "too drunk to remember" does not sound to me like "hinkaku"... (Shaking head...)

So in any case, settlement or not, there is not much difference in my view, but well, I have never been to Japan. (In a state of confusion...)

(Sign of approval...) ?

why the sudden change of version.

a big amount of money perhaps (In a state of confusion...)

Spot the nonsense.

Which one of many? (In a state of confusion...)

If [...] Ryu was too drunk to remember, technically he and the oyakata didn't lie to the rijicho. That is also another critical difference.

But that "too drunk to remember" does not sound to me like "hinkaku"... (Shaking head...)

So in any case, settlement or not, there is not much difference in my view, but well, I have never been to Japan. (In a state of confusion...)

(Sign of approval...) ?

If you've been to a drinking establishment in Japan you'll know that getting completely drunk out of your mind doesn't seem to affect your hinkaku at all and in fact is the only polite way to leave early; leaving before the host while you can still walk properly is quite insulting. Drinks are bought and poured for you and it is very insulting not to drink such an offering though of course you are expected to do the same in return. If you have to pour your own drinks your hosts and friends are not doing a good job. You can go from fine to not being able to physically leave very quickly once the party gets going especially if there are toasts for speeches from EVERYONE, if you toast everyone who arrives at the table, if you toast every time someone laughs at a joke... Before I went to Japan I thought I was a good drinker but quickly after arriving I learned I was not good at all by their standards...

Bad hinkaku is not being able to go to work the next day. When Hakuho won the yusho in Nagoya he drank and drank and drank... then right before his interview the next morning he puked his guts out and was futsukayoi but that's OK, no hinkaku lost at all in fact gained I'd say. He won, he celebrated too heavily but was still fine the next day. That's the way to do it there.

Don't smoke pot though... that'll get you fired for sure.

"Should it swing open its doors to foreigners...", LOL. Is it 1854 again? Where's Admiral Perry when you need him? Or 1968, foreign Takamiyama reaches makuuchi. Also funny it suggests they get used to foreign behavior, like punching your drinking partners in the face? Hmm. I bet these are not even the nonsense you were referring to but they struck me as funny.

Edited by Harry

Oh well then, my assessment totally missed the point. (In a state of confusion...)

Completely different culture...

... but this is exactly big part of why I follow sumo - fascination by the different culture. Thanks for enlightening unitiated.

"It was all a lie! There was no assault!!", wrote the "victim" today in a document signed and presented to the Kyokai..

Or rather, supposed to be presented to the Kyokai, as Takasago didn't show up to today's post-election meeting of the newly-constituted board. Meanwhile, a panel tasked with the job of questioning all involved people and producing a report has been appointed, consisting of Tomozuna-oyakata, Tamanoi-oyakata and outside director Murayama (former superintendent of the Tokyo High Public Prosecutor's Office).

I haven't seen a deadline anywhere, but somehow I can't imagine that's finished by the 4th...

In a semi-related note Asashoryu won't be present for the traditional bean-throwing ceremony at Narita this year, after attending it for the last 10 years running.

Edited by Asashosakari

Says who? Asashoryu gets paid bucket loads of money to perform a role. The only difference between him and an actor in a movie is that he is expected to stay in character whenever he is in public. I pay money for sumo tickets that fund his ability to hang out in Nishi-Azabu so I've every right to expect him to behave in the way a yokozuna should. If they want to pay me his salary I'll change my ways and be a model of hinkaku.

No, sorry, you may fund a lot of things with the price of your ticket but you don't fund his ability to hang out in Nishi Azabu.

The people that take him out for food, drinks, women, etc. are the ones that fund his ability to hang out in Nishi Azabu.

For someone that's living in Tokyo and clearly is into everything sumo I'm surprised that you make the statement above considering that (in this particular context) he's basically a male equivalent of a geisha. Japanese guys (and probably some percentage of well-heeled foreigners) fall all over themselves to pay dearly to be seen out and about with him in tow.

He doesn't have to spend a single aluminium yen of his money to enjoy the night out.

Last night Takasago was seen at a restaurant, then in a bar, where he was again spotted 4 hours later looking drunk and teetering off towards the heya.

I'll exercise some uncharacteristic restraint and not post the photographic evidence here directly, but if you're just dying to know, Sports Hochi is your hookup.

Oh sh*t........

now that helps...........get drunk at home! (Clapping wildly...)

The settlement is rumored to be over 10 million yen. The settlement in itself is being seen as an admission by Asashouryuu that the story is true- instead of making his case look better, it actually makes it look worse, as people like Musashigawa and YDC chairman Tsuruta were quoted as saying "if it is true" every time they were asked what the punishment should be. Now that it's being seen as true, there can be no more time-wasting and feet shuffling and decisions should be made quickly, says the reporter.

As a long term resident in Japan... I have seen so much "admission" in the news or in schools or wherever! Apologizing even when you haven't done something, giving presents or pay off money whatever you call it. I've been told that it is better to apologize so the other party isn't angry.. even when you haven't done something. It is ridiculous! I tell them, "in the US an apology is admission of guilt!"

yep, and not only in the USA...

But an other funny thing is, how an apology for a stupid matter really calms down the other side (sure, not in this case with the mass media all over em)

Big fat mess again. Sad thing.

Off, studying, no time for Asa now...

Asashoryu's personal manager is taking responsibility and will resign his post.

In his personal blog, the manager wrote, "I made some hasty and imprudent statements that have caused a great deal of trouble. I apologize for that." He the added that after a discussion with the yokozuna, it was decided that he would resign from his position once the current situation has been resolved.

Looks like everyone is falling on swords everywhere.

Asashoryu's driver denies yokozuna's drunken rampage

The head of a Japan Sumo Association panel investigating Asashoryu

Asashoryu says he does not recollect hitting the man. His driver now says Asashoryu did not hit the man nor broke his nose. Takasago oyakata said both were at fault, tussling each other and Asashoryu's head may have touched the other man, nothing really serious.

Then why would they settle with the man - taking the document to the police and according to reports, paying the man several hundred thousands yen, pretty expensive bill to pay for a minor disturbance?

If Asashoryu is not at fault and no injuries have taken place, why would he need to pay such an amount of money to the man?

Why did his personal manager come forward as soon as the first report of incident was reported, insisting it was him who was punched by Asashoryu if there was no one getting punched to begin with?

I imagine someone is working furiously on damage control and figured his manager is now expendable, simply a victim of collateral damage. Obviously the yokozuna cannot afford to be associated with a liar at this point.

After living in Japan and seeing "everything" in 20 years... I can say...

Then why would they settle with the man - taking the document to the police and according to reports, paying the man several hundred thousands yen, pretty expensive bill to pay for a minor disturbance?

If Asashoryu is not at fault and no injuries have taken place, why would he need to pay such an amount of money to the man?

"Whether or not anything happened, whether Asashoryu did hit him by accident or not.. settling with money is common in Japan! Companies, schools, etc... people apologize, give presents or money to calm the other side down even when (I) don't see why it is necessary... When I worked at a Junior High school here moons ago there was an incident where an 'abandoned' scooter was parked on school grounds. After some months it hadn't moved the school told the police about it and one day the police towed it away. A few months later a parent noticed that their scooter was no longer parked at the school. Asked the principal about it and he said the police had towed it. The way I see it the parent never told the school they parked it there, hadn't moved it in 6 months and therefore the parent was at fault. They should have gone to the police and gotten their scooter back. But what actually happened was the principal, vp and head teacher all bowed down in huge apology, called the police, paid a sum to get it out of the impound and sent me and another teacher (happened to be free at that time) over to the impound lot with 3 cases of beer as a present for the police and we brought the scooter back. They also sent an expensive gift to the family after the fact. NOW this case is not the same of course but really, the school was NOT at fault by any means and yet they apologized and paid to get the scooter back when clearly they did not need to and wouldn't have done so in the USA. So, to the point, this stuff does happen on all levels."

Why did his personal manager come forward as soon as the first report of incident was reported, insisting it was him who was punched by Asashoryu if there was no one getting punched to begin with?

"I can't answer this one except that John said he saw the manager sporting a black eye... he must have gotten punched by someone."

I imagine someone is working furiously on damage control and figured his manager is now expendable, simply a victim of collateral damage. Obviously the yokozuna cannot afford to be associated with a liar at this point.

"In Japan, someone has to go.... someone has to be accountable. I don't know what happens with the manager but in big corporations (like Kajima Co. where I work) the head of the company has to apologize for scandals, bribery, whatever and he had to be held responsible and step down. This is always done to "save face" for the company. The individual still gets pension and gets money to "take the fall" for the company."

After the post of Jonosuke on the people involved- we noticed again that we know absolutely nothing about what is really going on...

(Detective...) the made up story looks ridiculous...were is the carpet when needed?

It seems that the "too drunk to fail" defense actually works! Look for Tiger Woods and John Edwards to make their own comebacks soon! (Detective...)

My real question, and point of interest here, is: if they suspend Asashoryu, will he fall into the mental collapse that happened the last time he was suspended? Shades of Blackadder trying to avoid war through mental incapacity!

My real question, and point of interest here, is: if they suspend Asashoryu, will he fall into the mental collapse that happened the last time he was suspended? Shades of Blackadder trying to avoid war through mental incapacity!

Does anyone actually believe that he was truly clinically depressed? People were skeptical then what with questionable doctors and all. Scarcely a word has been mentioned by Ryu or the sports media about that condition in the two years since he came back.

It was a ruse devised to keep him away from the swarming press that were hanging all over the front of his condo. They were looking for blood--any mistake whatsoever that could be used to nail him. His medical condition was used as the pretext to allow him to return to Mongolia despite the insistence by all the critics and hardliners for him to serve his kinshin/suspension in Japan. I think we all know that Asashoryu would never have survived kinshin in Japan where he wouldn't have been allowed to leave his home without permission and when he did, the media would tag along for the entire duration.

There are speculations that the Kyokai bigwigs are frantically trying to find a way to justify a four-basho kinshin/suspension this time, double the previous penalty. Why do you think there are such delays? If they really wanted to dismiss him, they could have done it by now. They are waiting for the public outrage to cool down and the facts of the case to get even more obfuscated by conflicting and contradictory testimonies and convenient lack or loss of memory. The final verdict would be: You've done something wrong but we really can't prove what happened exactly. We can't expel you but we are going to suspend you, you bad, bad boy! The penalty will be more severe than last time as they promised to satisfy the critics--the aforementioned four basho instead of two.

Musashigawa said he wants the matter to be settled before Haru Basho. That's another month, for Pete's sake! For now, Ryu is on indefinite de facto kinshin. As such, he was not allowed his annual appearances at mame-maki ceremonies. He is not allowed to appear on TV and he is definitely not allowed to go back to Mongolia.

Once the penalty is handed down, Ryu's dormant condition could very conceivably flare up again. Diagnoses from dubious doctors would once more be presented and the only remedy would be "seven months of quiet and rest" in some remote area like ah . . . Mongolia, perhaps. He would return just in time to prepare for Kyushu Basho.

Of course, things can change at a drop of a hat . . . or a drop of a criminal charge, for that matter (he he), but that is one scenario the Kyokai is contemplating.

Edited by madorosumaru

There are speculations that the Kyokai bigwigs are frantically trying to find a way to justify a four-basho kinshin/suspension this time, double the previous penalty. Why do you think there are such delays? If they really wanted to dismiss him, they could have done it by now. They are waiting for the public outrage to cool down and the facts of the case to get even more obfuscated by conflicting and contradictory testimonies and convenient lack or loss of memory. The final verdict would be: You've done something wrong but we really can't prove what happened exactly. We can't expel you but we are going to suspend you, you bad, bad boy! The penalty will be more severe than last time as they promised to satisfy the critics--the aforementioned four basho instead of two.

Not to get into the speculation business, but if something like this were to occur -- a four basho suspension -- it could well serve as prelude to Asashoryu's greatest comeback yet and even more publicity for the "black hat" yokozuna. He might finally have the time for the elbow and other injuries to heal, a true "offseason" if you will, to train long-term without battering his body. Then he could return to face the new king(s) of the hill. I do think he's a bit mentally fragile in some ways, as many great champions in a variety of sports have been, but there's nothing like millions of doubters to get his competitive juices flowing.

Of course, I'm sure strategy number one is obfuscation and plausible deniability, with the hope of a relative slap on the wrist -- one basho suspension perhaps.

We shall see!

P.S. Also, were the four basho suspension to happen, to reference Asashosakari's long "wall of text" comments in another thread, it could be just the right time for an ozeki to make it to Yokozuna and a certain sekiwake to make it to ozeki... It will be interesting no matter what happens, I'm sure.

Does anyone really believe that he was really clinically depressed? People were skeptical then what with questionable doctors and all. Scarcely a word has been mentioned by Ryu or the sports media about that condition in the two years since he came back.

(Detective...) there are some still believe!