Sign in to follow this  
Torabayama

A History of Tegata

I was just wondering a bit about the history of tegata making in sumo specifically how long the practice has been going on. How did it begin? What are some of the oldest tegata in existence? What are some of the esoteric rules and/or traditions (if any) regarding tegata. I've been trying to build a small collection for myself and was hoping to find out more about the practice.

Thanks.

I was just wondering a bit about the history of tegata making in sumo specifically how long the practice has been going on. How did it begin? What are some of the oldest tegata in existence? What are some of the esoteric rules and/or traditions (if any) regarding tegata. I've been trying to build a small collection for myself and was hoping to find out more about the practice.

Thanks.

Mainly just bumping, but I can tell you the only rule I (think I) know: only Sekitori can make them.

Not sure how longstanding a rule it is, so hopefully this bait will bring out the experts.

Did know that it was limited to Sekitori but was interested in what some of the more knowledgeable collectors/historians had to say....

Just for record, there is no rule that prohibits non-sekitori or even non-rikishi from printing their own Tegata, but as a custom, it is generally done by a sekitori.

A tegata was initially done to avert bad spirits away from house or building and the prints were actually hanged on entrance door as it was considered to bring a good fortune. Not sure how it got started in Ozumo (perhaps ilovesumo can do her next master thesis on it) but it must have been already well established at the time of that memorial in Fukagawa