Sign in to follow this  
Pippooshu

Kotooshu runs for Yusho...

Hi guys,

What do you think about Kotooshu's chances for Yusho? And if you think so...in which way? What kind of sumo must he fight against his next opponents?

For example: I think he must wait the Kaio's tachi-ai to avoid his movement for kotenage!

Explain your opinion about this! (Sign of approval...)

Edited by Pippooshu

A quick analysis for Kotooshu's bouts to come. Take it with a grain of salt.

Baruto - he has to deny him a mawashi grip at all cost. Also, he has a nice chance to get morozashi. Chances to win - maybe 60%.

Kaio - let's say for the sake of the argument the fight is legit. Kotooshu would have to be the favorite in that one for sure, no matter what the old man throws at him. All he has to do is get a mawashi grip. He could also win with an oshi attack, as long as he keeps Kaio in front of him. The big question, though, is... will he put up a fight? If so, 80%.

Asashoryu - all he has to do against Asa is get a good mawashi grip, as usual. That's easier said than done most of the time. 50%?

Hakuho - the easy way out of this one is a henka for the cheap uwate. He's done it successfully before, twice. However, a more dignified way of approaching the bout would be a very powerful tachi-ai where he can get into hidari-yotsu and keep Hakuho away from the uwate. He should also watch out for the makikae. Again, easier said than done. Overall, 25%.

Harumafuji - charge low, stay on his feet, get mawashi. 50%.

Aminishiki (likely to have to fight him because of the Sadogatake factor and current record) - he should just keep his eyes on him and hit him hard. Or he could henka, because Aminishiki will try to take his head off again. Depending on his courage and Aminishiki's guile, 60%.

Tamawashi (judging by the current situation, this one would make a good candidate) - this should be a gimme for Kotooshu, as Tamawashi has never faced top-notch opposition before. Receive whatever he throws at him, get mawashi, yorikiri. 80%.

Takekaze (he should get him with a normal schedule) - watch out for a henka, stay on his feet. 80%.

Yoshikaze (again, with a normal schedule, he should have to face him) - same as above, these two guys should present no significant problem.

Aran (if Aran keeps winning, they're gonna have to give him top rankers sooner or later) - the henka should be an important factor in this one. Charge carefully, get the mawashi. It shouldn't be hard against Aran, he's been dabbling in yotsu a lot lately, but he's not quite there yet skill wise. 70%

Kitataiki (same as above torikumi wise) - this one should be another gimme for the Bulgarian. Stay on his feet, get the mawashi, yorikiri. 85%

I suppose Kotooshu changes depends on next match with certain "short" Estonian "wannabe ozeki" (Sign of approval...) Kaido-san may be highly :-( motivied

I suppose Kotooshu changes depends

No, he's always wearing the same mawashi.

(I'm sorry.)

It's all up to Kotooshu. Mind over matter. If he gets too nervous about being in the yusho race, starts thinking about it, then its over. Otherwise I'd say he has a chance but I still think the yokozuna have much better odds.

Hakuho 45%

Asashouryuu 30%

Kotooshu 18%

Baruto 6%

Kitataiki 1%

But I totally suck at all sumo games so take this with a bag of softener salt...

I think could be a psicological problem b'cause when Kotooshu is nervous, he doesn't fight with "heart".

However, opponent by opponent I think so:

Baruto: against the estonian sekiwake he has good opportunities b'cause the Baruto physical supremacy doesn't be useful against Kotooshu. Baruto can't press Kotooshu from the high position, like with the others, and Kotooshu can win with a consequencial yorikiri. Kotooshu: 65%.

Kaio: 'Oshu loses against Kaio ever in the same way. He attacks, Kaio moves himself a little late, on the side, and take the long extended Kotooshu's arm with kotenage. Over and over again. Kotooshu must be more intelligent than Kaio, this time. He MUST WAIT the Kaio's tachi-ai, turn his pivot and hook up the mawashi's grip. If Kotooshu does it, he wins. If he doesn't...he loses. Kotooshu: 50%

Harumafuji: Former Ama is too dinamic and goes around Kotooshu. Very often from tachi-ai. 'Oshu must try a rapid tachi-ai on the mawashi's grip and stop the Haruma's position. If he manages to do it...he can win. Kotooshu: 50%

Asashoryu: If Asa is in good condition, Asa wins. He is too dinamic and various for 'Oshu. But Kotooshu can try to grip the Asa's mawashi from the low position. In the middle. Suddenly from tachi-ai. Everytime he tries this solution, Asa goes in difficulty. Kotooshu: 30%

Hakuho: they have the same size but Hakuho is more strong than Kotooshu. The same mass can be useful for the Kotooshu's sumo, but the problem is ever the same: Hakuho can change his tecnical solutions and Kotooshu doesn't make it. Kotooshu: 30%

....."perhaps" opponents:................

Aminishiki: the rapid tachi-ai of Aminishiki, from low position until the high, against Kotooshu's chest, is the classic nemesis for 'Oshu. He loses almost ever against this Aminishiki's solution, b'cause Aminishiki is very, very fast to the beginning. If the 'Oshu's score is good...I think can be useful an Henka. Only one...but I hope he does it. However Kotooshu must use his long arms to grip the opponent's mawashi, b'cause with this solution he is favoured. Kotooshu: 55%

Takekaze: He is a solid rikishi but too "poor". His "oshidashi's sumo" it doesn't enough against Kotooshu. Henka apart... Kotooshu: 75%

Tamawashi: I don't know. Kotooshu doesn't know him but the bulgarian grip is favoured on the mongolian opponent, this is sure. Kotooshu: 70%

Edited by Pippooshu

I'm pretty surprised you gave Osh 60 and even 65% chance against Baruto. To me, it was more like 45%. Of course it's easy speaking afterwards, but at least I picked Baruto in ISP, Odd Sumo, TipSpiel and of course Seki-Toto as well. After all, why shouldn't a man beating Hakuho be able to win from Kotooshu ? (In a state of confusion...)

To be honest, I may have been biased when I made those percentages. Recent history seemed to favor Kotooshu heavily - then again, even more so for Hakuho. Anyway, what's done is done. Kotooshu is now safely out of the Yusho race.

Sad thing...Kotooshu loses another time. Two sanyaku fighted: two losses. It isn't a good way...

To be honest, I may have been biased when I made those percentages. Recent history seemed to favor Kotooshu heavily - then again, even more so for Hakuho. Anyway, what's done is done. Kotooshu is now safely out of the Yusho race.

(In a state of confusion...)

I'm agree with your considerations.