Sign in to follow this  
Tikozan

Intai candidates 2010

Which sekitori or former sekitori could go intai this year?

My candidates:

Tochinonada

Kaiho

Kitazakura

Would be interesting to see, which are your candidates.

Which sekitori or former sekitori could go intai this year?

My candidates:

Tochinonada

Kaiho

Kitazakura

Would be interesting to see, which are your candidates.

Perhaps Kaio?

I wonder which sekitori is/are potentially waiting for the sewanin position that should become available next January...

I can't help but wonder when Kimenryu will retire (Tears forming...)

Well, we are speaking about (former) sekitori, maybe Kimenryu will reach juryo before he intais but I doubt that.

But what about Tochitenko who debuted in juryo exactly 19 years ago when Kaio still was a fresh makushita rikishi... Dewanosato also is a bit on the old side by now.

I hate to throw a name out there since I am a horrible jinx, but something must be very wrong with Futeno. If he falls out of Juryo I believe he would hang it up.

Kitazakura is a lock, and although I do not really appreciate the idea of his leaving, it has to happen one day and close it seems. Jumonji is unlikely to bounce back after what I tend think will be a demotion from Juryo now that he's 1-4 and looking motivated but not really convincing. Kaio is the third in line. So close but still can handle the game.

Edited by shumitto

We cheered so much for Kitazakura in nagoya. I really believe he saw, heard and appreciated it and was sad that he couldn't perform well enough to stay in juryo. Frankly I'm surprised he is continuing in makushita. 1-2 now, I hope he can pull it together in the last half.

I am very worried about Futenou as well. He took longer than usual to write his day 5 blog entry and I read too much into the delay just like I always do. His opponent forced him out while he was applying his own power. He doesn't understand why his sumo looks the way it does but says he will gambarize tomorrow. Gambatte ne Futenou!

I can't help but wonder when Kimenryu will retire (Tears forming...)

Well, we are speaking about (former) sekitori, maybe Kimenryu will reach juryo before he intais but I doubt that.

Ah ya, I'm dumb and didn't read the details of the first post before posting. Still, would be sad, no?

What about Kotomitsuki?

I don't want to see him intai. He is one of my all times favorite, but the age clock is ticking for him.

What about Kotomitsuki?

I don't want to see him intai. He is one of my all times favorite, but the age clock is ticking for him.

Could be this year the way this basho is going.

Somebody should rename this thread "Overreaction 2010"... Seriously, everybody could go into position for intai if they run up three or four really bad scores in a row, just like everybody mentioned here could recover from their current slump in two months and stay active until the Mayas kill us all anyway. I suppose it's fun to speculate, but this thread doesn't even rise to the term "speculation", it's more like "throwing darts at a board blindfolded".

Sadly Futenou is not on a one basho slide. I don't think he has mentioned injuries yet. He hasn't had a KK for 7 bashos.

Sadly Futenou is not on a one basho slide. I don't think he has mentioned injuries yet. He hasn't had a KK for 7 bashos.

Except of course that he had 7 wins against 4 losses just last basho... And considering it a seven-basho slide also obscures the fact that the first two MK were at ranks at which he wasn't going to be competitive anyway (just check his two years prior). So his "slide" consists of going 7-8, 6-9, 6-9, 5-10, facing essentially the same quality of opposition every time, followed by a bounceback basho in high juryo that was cut short by injury and now all of six days in which he has looked unexpectedly weak. (I wouldn't be surprised if his hamstring or something related is still bothering him.) That's not very impressive, but hardly reason enough to sound the career death knell.

Blast from the past: I declared Tamakasuga's career done four years before it actually ended. The pitfalls of evaluating somebody on a handful of basho and an 0-5 start...

Edit: Damn, my smiley usage was really out of control in those days.

Edited by Asashosakari

What about Kotomitsuki?

Ya but Mitsuki had a similarly awful Hatsu basho last year too and managed to bounce back just fine for the rest of the year (ok, so the 3 8-7s weren't great, but you know what I mean; nobody was talking about retirement). I think it's all that extra holiday weight/booze/gout -- speaking of which, does anyone know if he'd packed on a similar 10kg last Hatsu basho? It'd be interesting to know. Also, he could decide to keep fighting even if he were to get demoted (and hopefully he will not be demoted, as he is also one of my all time favorites!).

Edited by Takamizawa

Sadly Futenou is not on a one basho slide. I don't think he has mentioned injuries yet.

Don't know if he mentioned them, but I just watched today's loss against Tokusegawa and his right elbow looks totally wrecked.

What about Kotomitsuki?

Ya but Mitsuki had a similarly awful Hatsu basho last year too and managed to bounce back just fine for the rest of the year (ok, so the 3 8-7s weren't great, but you know what I mean; nobody was talking about retirement). I think it's all that extra holiday weight/booze/gout -- speaking of which, does anyone know if he'd packed on a similar 10kg last Hatsu basho? It'd be interesting to know. Also, he could decide to keep fighting even if he were to get demoted (and hopefully he will not be demoted, as he is also one of my all time favorites!).

You're right, I'm exaggerating about Mickey though he may still end up kyujo this basho. He's still far from the KK-MK-KK-MK-KK-MK years I hope. Still not a good trend looking back, in 2007 he had 5 10+ win bashos, 2008 got 2 10+ win bashos, 2009 only 1 10+ win basho, 2010?

What about Kotomitsuki?

Naw, he's not going anywhere anytime soon. (Sigh...) After all he was openly mentioning the Y word. Not sure he mentioned it meaning a "Y" for him, but it was mentioned. :-(

Edited by Takanorappa

You're right, I'm exaggerating about Mickey though he may still end up kyujo this basho. He's still far from the KK-MK-KK-MK-KK-MK years I hope. Still not a good trend looking back, in 2007 he had 5 10+ win bashos, 2008 got 2 10+ win bashos, 2009 only 1 10+ win basho, 2010?

Ya it's a good point about the downward trend. He's not getting any younger. I'm just hoping he can stick around as long as possible -- sumo just wouldn't be the same for me without him.

Edited by Takamizawa

Tikozan's crystal ball is doing OK. Tamarikido has hung up the mawashi, at least as an active rikishi. Daimanazuru, another former sekitori, has also called it quits. He goes out with a kachikoshi, something that I would think is reasonably rare (to finish a basho with kk and retire, not have your career ended in between basho with the last a kk). I'm sure the stats-minded people can pull up an interesting list for us?

Tikozan's crystal ball is doing OK. Tamarikido has hung up the mawashi, at least as an active rikishi. Daimanazuru, another former sekitori, has also called it quits. He goes out with a kachikoshi, something that I would think is reasonably rare (to finish a basho with kk and retire, not have your career ended in between basho with the last a kk). I'm sure the stats-minded people can pull up an interesting list for us?

Yamato immediately springs to my mind - he got a 5-2 in makushita and then retired.

This subject came up in the last retirements thread, albeit in relation to rikishi who never were sekitori.

Kitazakura will retire too, he had his last bout against Tamarikido and won.