Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Yokozunae preparations- Hatsu 2010

Asashouryuu showed up at the Takasago keikoba at 9 am and proceeded to do shiko and squats. He did no moishe-eyes, but was pushing Asasekiryuu around a bit. "I want to win 4 yushos this year. I will commence degeiko tomorrow or the day after!", he declared. Asked about Hakuhou and his dominance last year: "Last year was last year, so leave it at that..", he said.

Asashouryuu ... "I want to win 4 yushos this year. I will commence degeiko tomorrow or the day after!", he declared....

Very good intention...

BUT

Weigh day today, Asashouryuu is up 4 to 154...

Curious starting point...

Both Yokozuna seem to have gone into hibernation. Asashouryuu didn't show up for keiko for the third consecutive day, and his people were saying his tonsils are flared and stuff like that. Worst case scenario, he'll be off till the 28th, when the whole heya goes off to rest. Hakuhou was just as "serious". He hasn't trained even once since the Banzuke was happy-O'd. Yesterday, he appeared in a charity event, today he had his tsuna-uchi and got a new tsuna made, which he apparently liked very much. Grand total- 4 consecutive days of rest. "I guess I'll go for degeiko after the New Year arrives..," he said, full of self confidence and Yule tidings.

Edited by Kintamayama

Asashouryuu went to Kasugano for degeiko , contrary to speculations made by reporters, but according to plan, as his entourage were saying. He targeted the "young ones" and was 13-2, not very good. 8 bouts with Tochinoshin, 4 with Aran, 2 with Tochiouzan, 1 with Tochinonada, reports the very diligent reporter. He was seen out of breath after a short while. "That was good. My feet were 'springy' and I managed to 'jump back' when pushed," he joked. He has been taking it easy, doing TV shows and not showing up for training these last three days, pretty much ignoring the constant grumblings of the YDC about his non-serious attitude towards keiko. "I shouldn't be resting TOO much..," is all that he would say. He is expected to see in the new year in Mongolia, so this is probably his last training session for the year, though that was said yesterday as well..

Edit: The two losses were consecutive losses to Aran, which means they were 2-2 today.

Edited by Kintamayama

Hakuhou started training today at his home base-first training session since the Banzuke announcement 6 days ago. He trained with some Sandanme guys. "I'm really busy this time of the year but I gots to move my body.. I will be training at my heya till the 30th!", he said.

Asashouryuu, OTOH, did some mochi-bashing with supporters and children at the home base today. "I'd like to win 4 yushos and get married next year!", he declared, causing much mirth and merriment among the reporters. "This year was full of hardships for me but I hope next year will be better!", he hoped.

Asashouryuu hits the "Thing" from Addams Family:

spf0912271732001-p1.jpg

2 more pearls of wisdom from Asashouryuu: "I've got a hundred women surrounding me." -(talking about his wish to remarry.)

"If she tells me I am doing insufficient keiko, I will tell her that I love her in all the languages of the world!!"- (On the January 5th soken where he is slated to meet Ms. Uchidate for the last time before she leaves the YDC).

With children at the mochi mochi:

KFullNormal20091228089_l.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Asashouryuu ... "I want to win 4 yushos this year. I will commence degeiko tomorrow or the day after!", he declared....

Very good intention...

BUT

Weigh day today, Asashouryuu is up 4 to 154...

Curious starting point...

1 pound KILO for each yusho

edit: please forgive our deep American ignorance!!!

(Hugging...)

When will we ever learn?! (I am not worthy...)

Edited by kaiguma

1 kilo for each yusho! What is a pound?

Well perhaps it is a Freudian slip :-)

A pound being roughly 2.2 kilos, we can expect Asa to win slightly less than 2 yusho ;-)

That sounds about right...

1 kilo for each yusho! What is a pound?

Well perhaps it is a Freudian slip :-)

A pound being roughly 2.2 kilos, we can expect Asa to win slightly less than 2 yusho ;-)

That sounds about right...

A pound being roughly 2.2 kilos ...

Cough.

Cough? Hack, gasp, wheeze and choke!

Let's try: 1 Kilo is 2.2 Lb. (This is coming from a Canajian, cause we have to deal with that stuff over here...)

Hence, Asa is 154 Kilos. He is also 338.8 pounds. (Not a 70 pound weakling.)

Cough? Hack, gasp, wheeze and choke!

I think the "that sounds about right" was about Asa going for 2 yusho next year, not the correctness of the unit conversion. Of course, it turns out kaiguma in fact expected nearly 9 yusho! ;-)

Asashouryuu went to Kasugano for his final degeiko of the year. He targeted Tochinoshin and had 17 bouts against him going 15-2. "I came because I wanted to train with Tochinoshin," he said. He was in a good mood and wished all the reporters a Happy New Year. He will be 30 in 2010. "I'm a Yokozuna so if I wouldn't be thinking of the future, it's the end.. the fact that I am thinking of it is why I am here at present!", he said. He's off to Mongolia today, probably.

So this is what Tochinoshin's ass looks like..:

spf0912281727001-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Do I need to reemphasize?

1 pound KILO for each yusho

edit: please forgive our deep American ignorance!!!

;-)

When will I ever learn?! :-)

today he had his tsuna-uchi and got a new tsuna made, which he apparently liked very much.

Anyone got any pictures they could post of this event, or Asa in his new Tsuna? Would be greatly appreciated.

I should have done a mochi-tsuki picture thread, but whatever:

Hakuhou pounding away, during the fun mochi-tsuki day where friends and neighbors came around to join. He even lent his chest to some reporters and held an impromptu dohyo-iri class where he showed everyone the ropes (cymbal crash).

"I wonder if I'm quick enough to smash his finger, I wonder again, Stevie..":

f-sp-091230-3303-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Hakuho is on the NHK Red and White Year-end Song Festival live right now.

Thanks for the pic, however tiny. Perhaps some more pics will surface in a book some time.

Haha ya we were all laughing at how unenthused he looked throughout.

Haha ya we were all laughing at how unenthused he looked throughout.

Whenever the camera was on him and he was required to respond, he did pretty well. (And his beautiful wife, though never acknowledged, was sitting right behind him.) This was the first time in years I watched the whole show. It was the usual mixture of really good old stuff, really good new stuff, and the same lame fillers on both sides; but on the 'red' side there were stupid little tarts in frilly skirts trying to act like childen, while on the 'white' side there were slightly older no-hopers in loose jeans trying to act like --err, what would you call it? failed what-was-the-last-but-one US fashion. Par for the course.

Happy New Year to all,

Orion, who lined up at the local shrine just before midnight, put in more money than most, rang the bell, made the two bows, prayed, another bow, and got the ritual sake followed by a generous cup of amazake; followed by a civilised chat with two older men who had both been on business trips to the UK and remembered her name. She complained that the annual summer bon odori dancing had recently been discontinued, and was assured that this year it would be resumed.