Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

How many yushos will Asashoryu win in 2010?

Asashoryu time!  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How many yushos will Asashoryu win in 2010?

• No mushrooms this year! (zero)
  2. 2. In how many bashos will Asashoryu get 12 or more wins in 2010?

• zero
  3. 3. How many times will Asashoryu defeat Hakuho (not including yusho play-offs) in the 2010 hon-bashos?

• Complete shut out (zero)

Another repeat poll.

Question three is a new one.

A Yokozuna should always be getting yushos - or be challenging for yushos (for which 12 wins is a sort of minimum). Further a yokozuna should hopefully be competitive with any other yokozuna - especially as they will (with very few exceptions) meet on day 15, when he can play 'spoiler' even if he is no longer in the yusho race.

Edit:

Previous editions of this poll:-

Edited by Jejima

I've selected....

1 yusho,

4 bashos with 12 or more wins

2 victories over Hakuho

These are much more positive than my choices for the previous year's poll - and I fear that this time I may have credited Asashoryu with one more yusho, one more basho with 12 or more wins, and one more victory over Hakuho than what he will actually get.

No yusho, (maybe) one 12+, no victories over Hak. Perhaps intai too.

I'm curious, Jezz, what makes you think Asashoryu will improve this year? 4 12+ basho is better than he did this year. Also, he lost all 6 regulation bouts with Hak.

Edited by Sokkenaiyama

I'm curious, Jezz, what makes you think Asashoryu will improve this year? 4 12+ basho is better than he did this year. Also, he lost all 6 regulation bouts with Hak.

He outdid my predictions from the previous year. I no longer think he is ready to hang up his mawashi, which means that he will need to do yokozuna level sumo, which means more 12+ bashos than not.

I think that he is currently second favourite going into any yusho - and Hakuho has to slip up some time.

He defeated Hakuho twice in 2009 - admittedly in yusho play-offs - but twice anyway.

As I said in my post above, I think that I have overshot the other way this time, and that my predictions for him are more positive than will occur in reality.

1-4-1

It will take the emergence of someone else to push Asa to intai. It looked like HMF was going to do it early in 2009 and he still may. Aside from Hakuho, no one else can beat him consistantly. Until that happens he'll be 'in the mix.'

2,4,3. I think that he'll see Hakuho stealing more and more of his thunder, that will get under his skin, and he'll want to reestablish pecking order. Also, he won't have the divorce hanging over his head as much this year.

If he sees there's no chance clinching a title in 2010 he would rather retire. With 24 yushos under his belt, he's currently in a tie with Kitanoumi for 3rd place all time. 1 yusho, minimum.

Nearly half of us think he'll win 1 yusho, and nearly half of us think he'll win 2. Not a glory year of yore, but still respectable.

The most popular pick for 12+ wins in a basho (the mark of a good Yokozuna) is 3, but the other picks tend to be higher.

A nice distribution on the bouts that Asashoryu will defeat Hakuho during a hon-basho comes out at twice - so more times than in 2009 - let's see if this comes true.

We'll have a look again at the end of this year. :-D

Edited by Jejima

I'm sad to report that the actual happenings for this poll are 1, 1 and 1 (so a 100% record up to now - but no more to come).

I will miss Asashoryu. ;-)

Edited by Jejima