Sign in to follow this  
John Gunning

Edit

I booed at the TV after the Kotomitsuki bout.

I smiled knowingly.

That was a monster henka by Kaku - it deserved a boo

I just shook my head..........

Let's have breakfast with my parents, who needs to see the rest of that.... (Laughing...)

Watching Mikey line up way behind the shiki-sen like that, you knew he was gonna charge in like a blind rhino... (Laughing...)

Can't say I've ever heard booing like that. Kakuryu must be embarrassed.

Can't say I've ever heard cheering like that [after Mickey took his fall]. Kaio must be embarrassed.

Can't say I've ever heard cheering like that [after Mickey took his fall]. Kaio must be embarrassed.

hehehe (Laughing...)

Every senshuraku, I expect to cringe a bit for two or three gimme matches. This is the worst final day I can remember watching. (Laughing...) The Kyokai should hang its head.

i guess a guy pulling such a henka is not embarrassed by some booing

What a crap finish to the decade.

I take it all back. Another Asashoryu-Hakuho classic for that incredible future highlight reel.

I agree... Always an exciting matchup!

What I don't get is it's surely very easy to make a thrown match look convincing - just go into a clinch for a minute or two and then slowly back out via yorikiri. Why is it necessary to take a dodgy looking dive?

What I don't get is it's surely very easy to make a thrown match look convincing - just go into a clinch for a minute or two and then slowly back out via yorikiri. Why is it necessary to take a dodgy looking dive?

Because 90-plus% of the fans don't care. The audience in Kyushu roared with unbridled delight as Mickey rolled in the dirt. If Kaio had pulled off a monumental henka to win that bout, they would have yelled equally as loud with approval.

The knowledgeable sumo aficionados would not be convinced by some silly clinch and dance. Well, maybe some would, but not most. ;-)

Well, Kak is Kak, and I'm sure he was desperate, but it smelled of previous agreements and bad acting.

But nowhere as bad as the HF/Oshu Mango Tango. After the last two bashos where he's been a tower of strength, Osh puts in a stand-up, sit-down performance.

But the Kaio bout, in my mind, had a grain of legitimacy, even if it was pre-ordained.

Except for the climactic bout (which I think also had a pinch of "Golfer's Gimme") the whole day was just a miserable demonstration of sumo.

They should show upper Makushita on TV and forget about the Ozeki...

They should show upper Makushita on TV and forget about the Ozeki...

They do, on BS broadcast. Of course, they show the ozeki bouts too.... (:

You must be talking about Asasekiryu bout today. That was pretty strange as Asasekiryu just gave up at the end and stepped backwards until he was out of the dohyo.

I watched 2 and half hour of it today and other than Hakuho and Asashoryu bout, I felt like I just about wasted my time. I could have easily watched the highlight of yokozuna bout and saved myself of sitting through all dreadful exhibition hoping for something better to come up.

Actually other the yokozuna bout, the only highlight being watching Aoiyama being interviewed and how he improved in speaking Japanese in just two months. At the last basho he needed an interpreter for his yusho interview and this time he did not need one. He was understanding mostly what he was asked by Yoshida announcer. That was a singificant improvement as great as his progress in his sumo ability.

I am sure he is as diligent student of the language as sumo, we can expect greater things from him. I bet in a couple of years he may be standing in the same line as his current aspiration, Kotooshu,

I am sure he is as diligent student of the language as sumo, we can expect greater things from him. I bet in a couple of years he may be standing in the same line as his current aspiration, Kotooshu,

Right! (First prize...)

With the last day silliness, the 7-7 rikishi odds, the ozeki stuff... it really does seem like puroresu to me now. I want to believe it is real, competitive stuff at the highest level but (close your eyes kids) it is looking like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny right now.

With the last day silliness, the 7-7 rikishi odds, the ozeki stuff... it really does seem like puroresu to me now. I want to believe it is real, competitive stuff at the highest level but (close your eyes kids) it is looking like Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny right now.

The final day was like the final week of the NFL or any other league sport. Only the teams with pending playoff bids show up for action. Teams with playoff locks or no playoff possibilities show up and go through the motions. They don't risk injuries. Every basho has a few senshuraku no-shows. This one had about 15 of them.

As far as I remember, last basho most or all of the 7-7 guys lost. I think we are going a bit overboard with this- the Ozeki shtick is so obvious it's embarrassing, but the rest...

I like a good henka.

Regarding henka the Japanese just seem to say "kachi wa kachi" and I don't really mind them so much but the giveaways are getting to be a bit much! I'll get over it but right after a basho it sometimes gets me going... sorry.

I like a good henka.

Me too...but that depends.

The masters of Henka like Shu etc. made it a great thing to watch...but bad "just wanna save my ass"-ones...lagging the art within. (Sigh...)

Harry is right....it IS a bit much. Especially up the ranks where one would expect more skillful bouts like those between the kids in Jonidan and below.

I find myself thinking "you get so much money for THAT?" (But I think like that in all sports, especially soccer...)

Edited by ilovesumo

Well, as far as Kotomitsuki is concerned, the Kaio-nage is pretty much a submission hold. It is not at all unusual to see a rikishi who is facing a kotenage or totari to look for the quickest way out of the match. I assume 'mitsuki didn't want to end the year with a wrecked arm.

Having said that, the quality of sumo deteriorated to an embarassing degree toward the end of the basho. Except for the bout between the yokozuna, day 15 was pathetic. It was not so much that it looked choreographed -- it looked liked neither guy was even interested in being there in many of the matches. I could almost swear that sometimes they were holding each other up.

They can't be making much money with the attendance being what it was, and with no one really interested in competing, maybe it would be better to just have 5 basho per year. It would give the rikishi a chance to get healthy. Certainly less chance of that zombie-sumo, or *whatever*

that was.

...the quality of sumo deteriorated to an embarassing degree toward the end of the basho.

This seems to be the general consensus but I think some of Asa and Hakuho's other bouts were pretty good. Mickey fought well against both Yoks and came away 1-1. In fact, IMHO, most of the Y vs O bouts were pretty good, considering they're supposed to be. Even Chiyotaikai, in his sad state, almost came away with a victory over Asashoryu but ran outta gas.

Tochinoshin, Toyonoshima and Miyabiyama's success is a good thing as well as Yoshikaze staying "in the hunt" into the second week. Takekaze, while going MK, still put up an unexpectedly good fight against the joi this time.

I guess my point is: Any sumo is good sumo if that's what you want to see (and I do.) Did I enjoy Kakuryu's henka? Not really, but with the semi-recent departure of the Russian trio, the number of those seems to have gone down so seeing one every once in a while isn't so bad.

My 2 yen.

I was satisfied to see his henka greeted so poorly. The Kaionage looked pretty legit to me, but of course Mickey should have known better and guarded that arm. I'm not claiming it wasn't an intentional fall - rather that if it was intentional it looked pretty convincing... and on either side of that coin it is a little bit cheap to get the 8 this way.

But all of this groaning about lifeless senshuraku and the other 14 days stank too? I really don't get it. It wasn't the most exciting basho, maybe even the least exciting of the year, but there always has to be a least exciting right? I wasn't all that let down...

Edited by kaiguma