Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Kotomitsuki vs Kaio on senshuraku (day 15)

34 members have voted

1. 1. Kaio (7-7) vs Kotomitsuki (8-6)

• Kotomitsuki (no yaocho)
    • Kaio (no yaocho)
    • Kaio (because of yaocho)
    • No idea (but certainly no yaocho)
    • What's yaocho?

You know as well as we do that no proof will ever surface, as only a confession would do.

Don't tell me what I know or don't know. The proof exists in the form of an audio tape, I'm told. On that tape discussions between identifiable oyakatas about the planned yaocho schemes can reportedly be heard. Somebody, just leak the tape and let's be done with it.

We are talking about something else here-it's not the "big yaocho discussion" we usually have. We are referring to the Ozeki looking out for each other towards the end of the basho when one of them needs a win for KK, not on a monetary basis, but on a "backscratch" basis. No concrete proof, but an extraordinary high percentage of us can easily foresee the results of certain matches, always.

Edited by Kintamayama

Funny, when Kaio was matched up with 'Taikai on Nakabi, I thought 'Ha! Kaio won't get KK due to the OBSC!' Guess I forgot about the possibility of him getting a Mickey!

Funny, when Kaio was matched up with 'Taikai on Nakabi, I thought 'Ha! Kaio won't get KK due to the OBSC!' Guess I forgot about the possibility of him getting a Mickey!

More seriously though - with Taikai likely out of the picture, the number of potentially backscratchy bouts will be reduced from 9 to 5. (Hmm, all in a day's work...) That alone ought to make things significantly more difficult to run effectively.

(Look for Baruto to be elevated by the club asap, I guess. 12 wins next time? I'm not sure I'd bet against it.)

We are talking about something else here-it's not the "big yaocho discussion" we usually have.

Yes, I'm aware of that but I see no reason to make a distinction between different forms of yaocho. Either a premeditated will to lose exists or it doesn't. Of course, if no third persons like oyakatas are involved, the possibility of ever proving anything diminishes even further. Even more so if even the winner isn't completely sure about the loser's willingness to comply with the scheme. One would need to be a mind reader.

What I find strange is that the scheme appears too blatantly obvious while NSK so vehemently denies yaocho. Something doesn't add up and most likely no amount of circumstancial evidence convinces me. Someone would say I'm in denial. I would say they're rushing to the conclusion. To varying degrees we would both be right.

In rainy, sleepless nights I dream of someone puncturing the abscess and relieving me of ozumo altogether.

More seriously though - with Taikai likely out of the picture, the number of potentially backscratchy bouts will be reduced from 9 to 5. (Hmm, all in a day's work...) That alone ought to make things significantly more difficult to run effectively.

I don't think Harumafuji is currently a member - so I'd make it just two possible bouts (although next basho, Taikai will probably be allowed an extension on his membership - I wonder when he'll be matched up against Kaio and the Koto-boys?), and basically that means it is all but kaput.

Of course...

a) Harry could be a secret member (or is quickly signed up) - so it continues

b) Baruto could quickly sign up (I can see the new conspiracy now..... Osh, Kaio and Mickey all allow him the wins needed over the next few basho (although does he need all that help?) to allow him to rise up to Ozeki, thereby allowing him to take Taikai's vacated seat on the board) - so it continues.

The OBSC was a good way to help maintain the careers and ranks of the elderly three ozeki + Osh (who has links to one of them) longer than might have been otherwise. With Taikai about to leave the stage, I feel that the OSBC will not exactly disband, but rather no longer have any purpose. This would likely lead to Kaio's quickish intai (Next year? New Kaio intai poll will be out soon!), with perhaps Mickey's following sooner rather than later.

Personally, I suspect the OSBC will be a thing of the past by mid-next year, and we can focus on more important things like henka. (First prize...)

Edit: Tidied the grammar a little.

Edited by Jejima

Jej or a mod should close this as there is little else to say and you can still vote...