Sign in to follow this  
Guest Panfilo

Introduction

Guest Panfilo

A few years ago, I saw a show on ESPN made from an edited down basho and thought it was about the coolest thing I had ever seen. I went around telling all of my friends about it and none of them understood my fascination with it. I remember being just amazed by a huge wrestler named Akebono, and a much smaller rikishi named Takanohana, who were both tearing through their opponents, and then faced off for the championship. And the ceremonies struck a chord with me. I didn't know what they were for, but they gave me a new level of enjoyment and respect for sumo that I don't generally have watching sports.

I live in Minnesota. I am 21 years old. I think sumo is awesome, but I have little access to it. They rarely show it on television here.

Welcome, Panfilo!

You'll find that both Akebono and Takanohana have retired in the meanwhile, and the new force in professional sumo answers to the name Asashoryu - he's Mongolian, another small guy (smaller than Takanohana), but really powerful. You'll meet a lot of his devout fans in this Forum. (Yawning...)

There is a live web-stream of sumo live during the tournaments (six times a year for 15 days, next one is due January), and in the meanwhile you can download movies of bouts from Dohyo.com.

If I forgot anything essential I'm sure others will remember.

Once again, welcome!

A few years ago, I saw a show on ESPN made from an edited down basho and thought it was about the coolest thing I had ever seen. I went around telling all of my friends about it and none of them understood my fascination with it. I remember being just amazed by a huge wrestler named Akebono, and a much smaller rikishi named Takanohana, who were both tearing through their opponents, and then faced off for the championship. And the ceremonies struck a chord with me. I didn't know what they were for, but they gave me a new level of enjoyment and respect for sumo that I don't generally have watching sports.

I live in Minnesota. I am 21 years old. I think sumo is awesome, but I have little access to it. They rarely show it on television here.

Welcome Panfilo to the furom.If you want to play sumo games in the web here is a website with a lots of them www.sumogames.com

Yes I have that problem with the lack of screen time for the bashos Panfilo,its a real bummer isnt it.

I can only repeat Tominishikis suggestion that you try the online sumo games,they increase your interest in sumo even further.

Just one question-Panfilos an interesting name where did it come from,just wondered?

(Yawning...)

For some reason Panfilo brings up the connotation of opticians to me :-S but more likely it's a character in the Decameron.

Guest Panfilo

Thanks for the kind welcome. I really appreciate the games and video links. I got the name Panfilo from an infomercial featuring Tom Bosley. One of the satisfied customers was named Panfilo. Can't remember what the infomercial was for, but it was really poorly lit and shot on video, and it made me feel sorry for Mr. Bosley (who incidentally was the first celebrity I ever met). His career has seen much happier days.

Thanks for filling me in Panfilo-

"Happier days," is that a deliberate pun?

Another way of seeing the bashos is with Dish Network. They offer TV Japan which carries the NHK broadcast of each basho. It does cost about 15 extra dollars a month and requires a 2nd dish.

But it's in the middle of the night, right? (Applauding...)

Welcome to the forum Panfilo-zeki (Punk rocker...) I hope you're not a Vikings fan... ;-) . Just kidding... :-)

This past basho they replayed each day at 3pm est time. Not sure if they did that in the past cause I didnt have it. I work at a satellite broadcasting facility and could watch it here when I was on overnights. Well my schedule changed back to days and thus the need to obtain Dish Network arose.

This past basho they replayed each day at 3pm est time. Not sure if they did that in the past cause I didnt have it. I work at a satellite broadcasting facility and could watch it here when I was on overnights. Well my schedule changed back to days and thus the need to obtain Dish Network arose.

Yes, the afternoon replay has been there for as long as I have been watching, which is since Aki 2001 - in fact, the afternoon version is the one to record, since it is usually 15 minutes longer and often shows a couple Makuuchi bouts that were missing from the LIVE version, or their respective feature of the day (often interviews with rikishi). Get to see the Makuuchi and Yokozuna dohyo-iri a couple times, too.

Cheers

Zenjimoto

Guest sumosquall

Hi! I'm new and I looooooooove sumo wrestling! I wanted so much to meet sumofans but their's a problem now.. .I'm french and it's possible that you won't understand my english... sometimes... ^^ I was wondering if one of you had pictures about ff8 (final fantasy 8 ) so I could place the picture as my avatar?... (I'm also searching a sumo-sized Squall Leonhart... from ff8 )

Cya!

-sumosquall

I was wondering if one of you had pictures about ff8 (final fantasy 8 ) so I could place the picture as my avatar?

Something like this? Do you want me (the rijicho as I am as well) to define this image to be your avatar? Alternatively point me to another image I could edit.

sumosquall.jpg

Edited by Kotoseiya Yuichi

Welcome Sumosquall from another Sumo and Final fantasy fan.

I've finished FF7 and FF8 times in all and consider them two of the greatest games ever and what a great idea having Squall as your avatar.

At the moment Im playing "Kingdom Hearts" on the PS2 which features cameo appearances from Squall and many more of the FF characters,if you haven't played it yet I highly reccomend you do.

Oh and dont worry about your English Sumosquall,the majority of the posters here do not have English as their first language so you are not on your own and your English seems fine to me-I should know I am one of the few posters born and raised in England.

All sumo-fans are welcome here! And I think you'll soon feel at home, sumosquall.

(Nodding yes...)

Guest sumosquall

Thank you everyone! I love that Squall Picture!! Yahoo!

Edit:

Cool! a ff fan! (Nodding yes...)

Edited by sumosquall