Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Patterns

After 5 days, Chiyotaikai is 2-3 while Kaio is 3-2. What's interesting is on the days Kaio won, Chiyotaikai lost, and the days Chiyotaikai won, Kaio lost. Even more, it's an every-other-day thing. Chiyotaikai's record so far is l-w-l-w-l while Kaio is w-l-w-l-w.

How long will this continue this way? Their day 6 opponents are:

Chiyotaikai vs Tochinoshin (1-4)

Kaio vs Kisenosato (3-2)

According to the pattern, it's Chiyotaikai's turn to win and Kaio's to lose.

Edited by Fukurou

In our estonian sumoforum we call this things "glove pattern". Tomorrow could be another w-l day - C & K. (Being ninja...)

I predict there will be at least one more day when one of them wins and the other loses. I'll even put money on it. Any suckers takers?

Edited by Kozaru

After 5 days, Chiyotaikai is 2-3 while Kaio is 3-2. What's interesting is on the days Kaio won, Chiyotaikai lost, and the days Chiyotaikai won, Kaio lost. Even more, it's an every-other-day thing. Chiyotaikai's record so far is l-w-l-w-l while Kaio is w-l-w-l-w.

How long will this continue this way? Their day 6 opponents are:

Chiyotaikai vs Tochinoshin (1-4)

Kaio vs Kisenosato (3-2)

According to the pattern, it's Chiyotaikai's turn to win and Kaio's to lose.

I prefer Chiyotaikai to lose and kaio to win

I say both will win tomorrow. Kisenosato has already lost mentally, morally and traditionally and Taikai can propeller the inexperienced Georgian.

I predict there will be at least one more day when one of them wins and the other loses. I'll even put money on it. Any suckers takers?

Yeah, when they meet each other.......

I say both will win tomorrow. Kisenosato has already lost mentally, morally and traditionally and Taikai can propeller the inexperienced Georgian.

OK , if you really think what you say , I'm sure now that you will let Kisenosato on the bench tomorrow. (Being ninja...)

OK , if you really think what you say , I'm sure now that you will let Kisenosato on the bench tomorrow. (Being ninja...)

He should also pick both ozeki in Seki-Quad! (Oops, I didn't say anything...)

OK , if you really think what you say , I'm sure now that you will let Kisenosato on the bench tomorrow. ;-)

Yes, I will.

OK , if you really think what you say , I'm sure now that you will let Kisenosato on the bench tomorrow. ;-)

He should also pick both ozeki in Seki-Quad! (Oops, I didn't say anything...)

I don't think I play that. At least, I'm not listed..

Yeah, when they meet each other.......

Damn! They're on to me!

I hope nobody really picked both Chiyo and Kaio today.... or either of them.

Is there an icon with egg on it?

I hope nobody really picked both Chiyo and Kaio today.... or either of them.

Point out a pattern, and it breaks. Kaio did his part, and lost. Chiyotaikai didn't hold up his end, and lost again too. ;-)

another pattern:

Kaiho WWLWLL

and

Sakaizawa LLWLWW

and they meet tomorrow so the pattern will continue ;-)

Wakatenro so far : LWLWLWLWLW

Place your bets on the outcome of his bout on day 11. (Applauding...)

I just noticed that Wakatenro's pattern is already going on since day 11 of previous basho :

01010101010????

What would be the absolute record, by the way ?

Edited by Vikanohara

What would be the absolute record, by the way ?

Among the four cases I've found with a full-basho streak, Kawachiyama has the longest total streak, tacking on 2 in front and 4 at the back for a total of 21. Not sure if that's the very best total since it's of course possible to split 22+ across two basho without having a single one complete. Perhaps I'll keep looking...

Edited by Asashosakari

It's time to trot out one of my favorite postings again.

That's where I looked first, too. Oddly enough he doesn't have those four complete nuke-nuke streaks, even though they qualify as symmetrical.

BTW, snooping around a bit more - Chiyotaikai just ended a 16-day streak (since Nagoya Day 5) when he entered his tailspin... Still looking for streaks that span across two partial basho, but nothing over 18 yet.

Edited by Asashosakari

Great, but indeed I fail to see 101010101010101 nor 010101010101010.

Great, but indeed I fail to see 101010101010101 nor 010101010101010.

The four cases that Asasho-zeki noted all happened in Juryo. The chart only addresses Makuuchi patterns.

Another nice pattern so far in Juryo by Shirononami :

011 011 011 01

-> He now needs another victory and finish with a 011 pattern to make it complete.

And to spicen things up a bit, his opponent on day 12, being Wakakoyu, is busy on a nice pattern himself :

111 010 101 01

-> Wakakoyu needs a defeat and then finish with three more victories to keep the symmetry.

=> So you can safely bet on the outcome of their bout. (Whistling...) (In a state of confusion...)

Oh, and these two are having exactly the opposite pattern :

10010101010 by Kyokunankai

01101010101 by Kotokasuga

-> Freaky ! (Nodding yes...)

Edited by Vikanohara

Will they make it or break it ?

011 011 011 01010? : Shirononami -> can he win against Kotokasuga ?

0110 1010101 011? : Kotokasuga -> losing against Shirononami will make it complete

01010 01010 0101? : Sakaizawa -> has to lose from Kirinowaka to finish it smoothly

10011 01100 1010? : Kiyoseumi -> has to win from Sokokurai to keep this a nice pattern

And will some nice opponent vs opponent patterns continue ?

Shi Kot Shi Kot Shi Shi Kot Kot Shi Shi Kot Kot : Shirononami vs Kotokasuga -> Shirononami's turn again ?

Kyo Kai Kyo Kai Kyo Kai Kyo Kyo Kyo Kai Kai : Kaiho vs Kyokunankai -> Kaiho again ?

Kis Kis Kak Kis Kis Kak Kis Kis Kak : Kisenosato vs Kakuryu -> back to Kisenosato ?