Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Patterns

sasayama: annual records -

2012: 21-21

2013: 21-21

2014: 21-21

2015: 21-21

has any other active rikishi shown such consistency?

• Like 1

Scroll down to the bottom of this rikishi's page. What is going on there? It hardly seems that it can be anything other than intentional, but I really have no idea why they would do that.

(I was on the page looking to see the history of the guys that Mitsuuchi lost to.)

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1

What is the pattern here, except yoyoi-ng up and down Sd/Jd in the banzuke? He certanly seems to be a persistent fellow.

I guess Gurowake is suspecting him to have a side job on the final weekends.

• Like 3

Since the yaocho purge, he has had 6 of his first 6 bouts be on the second day, and since Aki 2012, they all have been. Since Aki 2014, his last match has been on Day 13, and in the past 5 years he has had 1 match on Day 15. I could calculate the probability of all these things happening by chance, but you should be able to see that it would be incredibly low. Why are they fixing his schedule like that?

How many shin-nyuu-maku have never had a double digit record in Juryo?

• Like 1

Probably a more interesting question: shin-nyuu-maku with the worst career win/loss ratio in Juryo?

Oiwato was 128-157 (.449) as a Juryo rikishi prior to his debut in Makuuchi if I'm counting correctly. That's a slightly worse percentage than Akiseyama's 150-180 (.455). No idea if that's the worst; I just checked the first guy on the maegashira list in the database who had the same sort of career profile.

edit:

Yoshiazuma - 27-33 (.45) is close. I can't think of a decent way of looking for these things, but I checked all the guys that would be the most recent candidates.

Edited by Gurowake

Oooh that Osunaarashi-Endo thing is interesting. I wouldn't put it past Endo to actually continuing the trend tomorrow.

The pattern has been broken today. We are all very disappoint.

Edited by Jyuunomori

sasayama: annual records -

2012: 21-21

2013: 21-21

2014: 21-21

2015: 21-21

has any other active rikishi shown such consistency?

Assuming I didn't botch my queries somehow, I could only find ten other rikishi who managed to go 21-21 in four consecutive years, with Rendaiyama being the only other one who is still active. Unfortunately Sasayama won't be going for five in a row, as he went kyujo a few days ago. Hamadayama and Tokachiumi have both gone 21-21 in the last three years.

Ryushoyama, 1974-1977

Hashidate, 1975-1978

Kiyonosato, 1975-1978

Kotoasahi, 1979-1982

Mogamiyama, 1981-1984

Narayama, 1986-1989

Tatsukabuto, 1992-1995

Murayoshi, 2001-2004

Takashoma, 2006-2009

Rendaiyama, 2007-2010

Sasayama, 2012-2015

---------

Hamadayama, 2013-2015

Tokachiumi, 2013-2015

• Like 4

It seems that the Henka is accepted in the higher ranks in sumo now.

There has been several used both the Yokuzuna and the Ozeki

• Like 1

While you may think that the Endo-Osunaarashi pattern was over last basho, a different pattern has stayed the same: they swap matches *per division*. Endo won the first match they had in Juryo, then Osunaarashi won their second Juryo bout last basho. Osunaarashi won the last match they had in Makuuchi before they were both demoted, and Endo won their Makuuchi match this basho after their return.

• Like 2