Sign in to follow this  
Fujisan

Computer question....

Can a virus affect your monitor?

Only every time I try to watch a video on youtube my monitor keeps turning the brightness down on its own....

Only every time I try to watch a video on youtube my monitor keeps turning the brightness down on its own....

Maybe someone is trying to tell you something..

How about if you update your vgacard and monitor if you have a desktop or whole notebook otherwise. Maybe this would solve the problem.

First thing I'd check is if the monitor cable is attached firmly.

Try changing the up/down angle from which you view the monitor. The video viewing quality of some low contrast monitors is very sensitive to the viewing angle.

Thanks guys!

Its started doing it at random now even when I'm not playing videos.

When you say change the viewing angle do you mean by moving the monitor or on the screen?

When you say change the viewing angle do you mean by moving the monitor or on the screen?

Just try moving your head up and down for starters. :-)

No that just made me go dizzy...

At the moment the brightness adjuster keeps coming on screen and not doing anything...

No that just made me go dizzy...

At the moment the brightness adjuster keeps coming on screen and not doing anything...

Try turning off everything and taking all out of the sockets, including the refrigerator, for 30 seconds. Then, re-connect everything and think positive.

Try turning off everything and taking all out of the sockets, including the refrigerator, for 30 seconds. Then, re-connect everything and think positive.

Cant do that either it makes me dizzy---

Well I would be after my Mum punches me anyway...I dont think that would go down very well.

Check the monitor connection cord to the computer. Occasionally, if the plug becomes slightly disconnected, the signal to the monitor varies, resulting in that fluctuation. Or your monitor is telling you it's on its last legs, especially if it's one of the older tube types.

That or it's time to get glasses. :-)

I once had an old tube monitor which needed a good whack on the side now and then to restore its brightness. (No kidding!)

I once had an old tube monitor which needed a good whack on the side now and then to restore its brightness. (No kidding!)

I once had a friend like that.

Check the monitor connection cord to the computer. Occasionally, if the plug becomes slightly disconnected, the signal to the monitor varies, resulting in that fluctuation. Or your monitor is telling you it's on its last legs, especially if it's one of the older tube types.

That or it's time to get glasses. (Hugging...)

No I've tried that and its not so much the low light on the screen,I can live with that but its the brightness adjuster appearing constantly thats getting on my nerves now.....

Trust me I've tried that....

Intentionally or not thats usually my first reaction :-)

get a new monitor .... that one probably lived its life.

or maybe there is a problem with the button that adjusts the brightness. Is it stuck somehow?

This may sound silly but if it is underneath the front of the monitor (had one like that in the old days) maybe you press it with the keyboard or a cable. Sometimes silly things are the answer to tough questions.

or maybe there is a problem with the button that adjusts the brightness. Is it stuck somehow?

Reminds me of last week when my friend's laptop brought up the help window relentlessly. Guess what? The F1 key was stuck...

get a new monitor .... that one probably lived its life.

This may sound silly but if it is underneath the front of the monitor (had one like that in the old days) maybe you press it with the keyboard or a cable. Sometimes silly things are the answer to tough questions.

No the buttons are on the front and its not a really old monitor but it has had a few knocks (Raging at computer...)

I've tried banging the button with a knife(Hilt end I'm not totally stupid) see if that helps...

I've tried banging the button with a knife(Hilt end I'm not totally stupid) see if that helps...

that will probably help ... to stuck it in there for eternity ....

Fuji ... a word of advice ... never become a technician.

No it didn't help,I dont think the buttons stuck,its loose and moves freely..

Well now, there's your problem.

Did the knife have butter on it?

My monitor finally gave up two days ago.....

I must confess my temper got the better of me and I picked it up threw it out the door into the rain..I wont go into details what happened next but if you have ever seen John cleese in fawlty towers attacking a car with a tree branch you will have a rough idea (Raging at computer...) ..When I finished it lay in several pieces and with a triumphant "you dont work now do you?" I went back inside.

I got myself another for

Fujisan, It looks like you're ready to star in the remake of 'Office Space.' One more question... Do you own a Swingline stapler?

Fujisan, It looks like you're ready to star in the remake of 'Office Space.' One more question... Do you own a Swingline stapler?

Not seen that film...

No I dont have any staplers... (Raging at computer...)

So you didn't see my stapler? I could set the building on fire, you know...

So you didn't see my stapler? I could set the building on fire, you know...

Damn and I dont have a fire extinguisher either.....