Sign in to follow this  
Itachiyama

Harumafuji Yusho Portrait

Yusho Portrait

Not bad but also not really good, isn't it? Looks like he's lost in thoughts. Not the best choice to me. The Kesho-Mawashi is not attractive that much either. Somehow his Kesho-Mawashi are rather simple in general (At least from this Basho on he seems to have a beautiful new one). By the way, can somebody identify the sponsor?

Edited by Itachiyama

I agree with you, not quite the best portrait I've seen.

His sponsor Japan New Alpha

Edited by ilovetochinoshin

Waaaaay offtopic, but looking at that yusho portrait link, why is Musashimaru rope-less (yokozuna-less?) in his final portrait?

Because he is in a fighting pose, as if he was mid-match. He would not be wearing the tsuna in that case. All the other standing poses have him wearing his kesho mawashi, in which case he would always be wearing the tsuna as well.

I'm a little intrigued as to why Kotooshu is not wearing a kesho mawashi in this portrait as he is not in a fighting pose. You would think also that he would like to honour his sponsors by wearing a kesho mawashi in his hatsu-yusho portrait.

Were "fighting-pose" portraits more common in olden times? Obviously, it's the only one in the last ten years (or one of two depending on Kotooshu), and the older portraits they have photos of are all of yokozuna with tsuna. Is there another archive of these portraits somewhere out there?

Edited by Mattjila

Yusho Portrait

Not bad but also not really good, isn't it? Looks like he's lost in thoughts. Not the best choice to me. The Kesho-Mawashi is not attractive that much either. Somehow his Kesho-Mawashi are rather simple in general (At least from this Basho on he seems to have a beautiful new one). By the way, can somebody identify the sponsor?

Well, it might not be the best pose, but it's dignified, and from the seats it will look great, hanging hundreds of feet away.

It's still better than Oshu's portrait, complete with pink legs and ballet skirt (when seen from a distance). And whose idea was it for him to cross his arms? Ok, he's not a yokozuna, not japanese, but neither is HF, and the latter's protrait is IMHO a far better representation.

Yusho Portrait

Well, it might not be the best pose, but it's dignified, and from the seats it will look great, hanging hundreds of feet away.

It's still better than Oshu's portrait, complete with pink legs and ballet skirt (when seen from a distance). And whose idea was it for him to cross his arms? Ok, he's not a yokozuna, not japanese, but neither is HF, and the latter's protrait is IMHO a far better representation.

Agreed. Oshu's portrait is terrible. Harumafuji's isn't great but its passable.