Sign in to follow this  
Sokkenaiyama

Kaio vs. Asashoryu

That was one of the most poorly executed pieces of yaocho I've ever seen. I was expecting it (check my SG picks), but I was also expecting a slick uwate(dashi)nage or something. Ugly stuff, just ugly.

P.S. Bring it on!

To me it looked like a normal match. Kaio got the kotenage and Asashoryu could not stop himself anymore. I am not not a fan of "Yaocho is everywhere" so I might be biased...

I really wonder why ther should be yaocho in this case at all. Asashoryu still was in the Yusho race and he has a career to lose if he performs bad this time and then catches another injury leading to a bad result next basho. What is his gain?

just an idea...

Kotooshu gives to Chiotaikai

Asashoryu gives to Kaio

Hakuho gives to both Koto's

nobody loses nothing from today, but everyone gains given favors...

Hakuho can't give both Koto's - he has yusho to win! (Sign of approval...)

My initial thought was when Kaio attempted his Kaionage on Asa's bad elbow, Asa went to the "live to fight another day" route. Better to give the win today than get a "Toyonoshima" type injury and do permanent damage.

I had the same suspicion as I was watching the streaming, but after watching the bout again on the video, I'm not so sure anymore. Asa didn't go all out though, for sure

I saw it from shomen 2-7 and while I had to duck quickly to avoid a few zabotuon it was an odd match and an odd ending. Kaio spun him around and he pretty much ran off the dohyo. I don't know really if there was too much momentum for him to stop at that point or not or if he was just trying to save what's left of his elbow but I guess I'll have to do the math to see if Kaio needed it; I don't see the need right now.

The other two crazy losses I was expecting, though not enough to bench my yokozuna...

My initial thought was when Kaio attempted his Kaionage on Asa's bad elbow, Asa went to the "live to fight another day" route. Better to give the win today than get a "Toyonoshima" type injury and do permanent damage.

My thoughts exactly. Kaio was setting up his nage, and Asa did a twisting escape move to save his elbow.

To me it looked like a normal match. Kaio got the kotenage and Asashoryu could not stop himself anymore. I am not not a fan of "Yaocho is everywhere" so I might be biased...

I really wonder why ther should be yaocho in this case at all. Asashoryu still was in the Yusho race and he has a career to lose if he performs bad this time and then catches another injury leading to a bad result next basho. What is his gain?

I'm agree.

He receives back the favour when he's kadoban next basho. Oh, wait...

Kaio and Chiyotaikai both have given enough of grounds to believe any bout they are involved in is fraudulent. But if you remember Asashoryu

Edited by shumitto

He receives back the favour when he's kadoban next basho. Oh, wait...

Everything is possible, we know, but it's strange, I think, Asashoryu sells his bout when he can arrive near to the leaders! And he must rescue his crisis!

I don't think has been a yaocho case. (Danpatsu-shiki...)

My thoughts exactly. Kaio was setting up his nage, and Asa did a twisting escape move to save his elbow.

I totally agree, in this case. Mind you, my jaw dropped when I saw it, but looking at the replay, Asa (with his bad left elbow about to get unsurgically altered - see Toyonoshima - he decided to get out of there... Bizarre, like the rest of the day, but a smart move.

I only watched on my car tv while I was driving but still I agree with the thought that Asa was saving his elbow. A loss today is better than a ruined elbow forever!!! just my opinion!

When I saw the match-ups for Day 11 I half-suspected Kaio might win this one. He needed the win more than Asa. I don't think it was yaocho, more a case of Asa throwing in the towel (as he is prone to do more and more these days) having been virtually knocked out of the yusho race by those two losses earlier in the basho. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes 9-6 or even 8-7. He seems just to be coasting since his yusho in January.

I only watched on my car tv while I was driving but still I agree with the thought that Asa was saving his elbow. A loss today is better than a ruined elbow forever!!! just my opinion!

:-)

Please do not drive and watch TV. I know you can get aftermarket TVs that don't switch off when the vehicle is in motion, but watching and driving at the same time is just as dangerous as drunk driving or talking on cell phones while behind the wheel. It only takes one time to destroy another's life. The amount of preventable carnage on the roads is a terrible tragedy. (Sad goodbyes...)

Edited by Otokonoyama

:-)

Please do not drive and watch TV. I know you can get aftermarket TVs that don't switch off when the vehicle is in motion, but watching and driving at the same time is just as dangerous as drunk driving or talking on cell phones while behind the wheel. It only takes one time to destroy another's life. The amount of preventable carnage on the roads is a terrible tragedy. (Sad goodbyes...)

Agreed and subscribed.

Asashoryu knows he is not going anywhere quick this basho so why risk an unnecessary injury from a man who has not idea of his stupendous kotenage power. Asashoryu did a smart thing in my view. Just let go as quickly as possible as soon as K-man gets his kotenage move in. The man is not out there just whistling Sayonara.

But then you can point out that the court case is still outstanding on Asashoryu yaocho allegation so you could also say all his yusho and his promotion are done by yaocho.

Basically anytime you raise an issue of this sort, you are saying all Asashoryu die hards are totally fools cheering for the greatest cheater Ozumo has ever seen and acknowledging Ms Uchidaate and Yaku Mitsuru were the wise ones who knew it all along.

Hakuhou, OTOH, was holding his elbow which was squeezed very hard by U today. Hakuhou won, but we'll have to see if there was any damage to that elbow.

Hakuhou, OTOH, was holding his elbow which was squeezed very hard by U today. Hakuhou won, but we'll have to see if there was any damage to that elbow.

I thought so too. Looks like it got "tweaked" hard right as he pushed Kaio out of the ring.

Courtesy of Asojima and the Day 12 pictures thread:

47.jpg

spf0907232018013-p2.jpg

What I was mentioning above..

I was surprised when I came across the above pic. The pressure application was not that obvious in the NHK bdcst or the NSK stream. I had the impression that Haku was over-reacting a bit. The pic shows a definite twist in the joint.

I must admit that, while I'm hoping that Hakuho's elbow is okay, Kaio's decision to put the armbar on a second yokozuna has at least served to turn the existence of this thread into an interesting demonstration of Maslow's Hammer...