Sign in to follow this  
Sasanishiki

World Games 2009 Kaohsiung

All fixed now to the best of my ability with the data as given.

From memory, Kaziev did compete but could not go on. I'm not sure about Saleh.

Can't quite tell with those two, either. They both won bout(s), then lost one, then aren't listed in the repechage rounds for which they would have been eligible. I've listed them as fusen for the repechage now, but it's possible that their losses in the main draw were already non-appearances (but the data entry folks failed to mark them DNS for those), and that's why they're completely unlisted for the repechage.

Edited by Asashosakari

1-2.jpg

The teams entered and went alternatively to the east and west sides of the dohyo. This is the west side. In the front is the group of six Americans (from left: Kelly, Dan, Doug, Kenna, Andrew and Trent). Behind them, in terms of being away from the camera, are the two Thai girls, then the two Poles (in T-shirts), then Martin from Norway, The other big line is the Mongolian team, including Byamba and the other ex-pro on the end, then with the Italians, Hungarians and Germans. The third big group is the Egyptians and at the top of the picture I think are the Brazilians (with the girls in the blue leotards). The cool kids were hanging out on the other side of the dohyo ;)

This youtuber has quite a few videos of bouts

Nice one Nishinoshima.Some of those bouts are quite an impressive display of brute force!

Edited by sumojosh

that is very upsetting. Perhaps i could have gone then as a second competitor since mexico and canada are not sending anyone

Well there were only a maximum of 16 wrestlers per weight group allowed with Japan in having 3 wrestlers in some divisions .

Well there were only a maximum of 16 wrestlers per weight group allowed with Japan in having 3 wrestlers in some divisions .

This only came about to fill up numbers after each continent provided their two representatives.

Asia 2

Oceania 2

Nth America 2

Sth America 2

Africa 2

Europe 2

Taiwan 1

IFS appointed representatives 3 (and any more that cannot be filled by the continents)

If they had to work out overall placings for all competitors in each division and in the open - how do they treat a bye or having to go into a repecharge? Does facing a Gold or silver medalist and then having to go into a repecharge put you ahead of anyone who got knocked out in the first round? It sounds a bit hard to do a full ranking based on random luck of the draw.If there are 16 competitors do the ones who finish second in their individual bouts (losers) automatically get =9th?

So because Alan Karaev (aka Shrek) piked out of the Open tournament - does that mean we can all say we finished ahead of him?

Its a pity a couple of the Youtube bouts missed a few cracker throws by finishing to soon. Mongoush (RUS) absolutely slammed Shimanko (JPN) with a beauty.

I didn't realise that I was the oldest competitor.At least no one made an issue of it but it did show on the dohyo. I assumed that the buzzards were circling for some of the other veterans who look well beyond their years.Bloody yanks did have to remind me that I shouldn't wear a muscle shirt if I had no muscles.It was hot. I was glad that I managed to lose the 25kilos in a few months to make lightweight. I will take Trent's advice and keep it off. Still there is nothing more fun than bulking up 10kilos in a few hours to make up for the 3 or 4 kilos of sweat lost before weigh in.

Just in from the IFS.Still amazes me why they never use spell check but this one is good by their usual standards.

Dear President of National Member Federations,

It is our pleasure to express our appreciation for your kind support and cooperation during WG 2009 Kaohsiung.

The sumo competition both 17th and 18th July was one of our memorable event as well as you may knew that besides IWGA, we received very good interesting and support from local organizer and audiences.

Several VIP guests visited our competition without notice.

Learnt from local organizer that sumo ticket was sold out as the first sport. The tickets were demanded so local organizer has increased tickets, due to limitation of venue capacity, so they sold 2nd rounds tickets on 2nd days competition, 1st round from noon to 3 pm and 2nd round from 3 pm to 6.30pm.

Attached feedback of WG2009 Kaohsiung form, we shall forward your valueable feedback to IFS executive board for their consideration and forward to IWGA to consider for next championships. Noted, one of the requirement for future event is to increase more quota of accreditation officials. Please feel free to give us the feedback, whether;

Doping center (distance, time, service)

Control zone (security system)

Accommodation

Meals & beverage (venue, hotel, catering center)

Local transportation (Bus schedule, driver manner..etc)

Competition format

etc.

Please note;

WG2009 DVD - Awaiting information from main organizer.

WG official photo - shall be available shortly.

By the way, in year 2010, among 13 sports, sumo is included in the event that host by SportAccord (new name of GAISF).

Event Name: SportAccord and Combat Games

Location : Beijing, China (we do not have exactly information by now).

Event Date: August 28-September 4, 2009 ( we do not have axactly date when sumo competition will be held).

All are under discussing. The official announcement shall be made once the main organizer approved.

Thank you & Best regards,

International Sumo Federation

Several VIP guests visited our competition without notice.

What a delightfully ambiguous sentence!

This only came about to fill up numbers after each continent provided their two representatives.

Yeah right , like suddenly IFS could not contact any other countries at the last minute for the mens division. Apparently for the womens heavyweight division they were able to contact a female European athlete 5 days before the event at last minute to inform her that she could compete , but for the men it seems it was another story.

Howard, this doesn't look like you! Will you sue?

Morel likely Andrew Perenara being thrown by Naranbat Gankhuyag than the captioned Howard Gilbert losing to Gantugs Rentsendorg.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/sport/arch...7/19/2003449045

Yes, I happened upon this a day or two ago. It is Andrew. I guess the fact that both New Zealanders drew Mongolians in the openweight led to the confusion.

BTW, in case anybody else was wondering who's who in those youtube clips linked by Nishi...bout order is exactly as in my postings earlier in the thread except missing bouts as noted:

Women's Lightweight:

012-024: everything from round of 16 to second repechage round, except: R16 Watanabe-M

that is very upsetting. Perhaps i could have gone then as a second competitor since mexico and canada are not sending anyone

Mexico doesn't have a team of which I'm aware. (Ranting...)