Sign in to follow this  
Washuyama

Valuable cooking lesson

Just thought I'd pass on a little lesson for all you novice chefs out there (I'm still working my way up to novice.)

My wife's out of town and has been for a couple weeks, so instead of eating out for every meal I'm trying to make my own meals.

Anyway, to day I learned there is a BIIIIIIG difference between a garlic CLOVE and a garlic BULB... Kinda like Konishiki AND YMY opposed to Mainoumi.

Lesson learned!! *burp*

Edited by Washuyama

Anyway, to day I learned there is a BIIIIIIG difference between a garlic CLOVE and a garlic BULB...

Interestingly, a good friend of mine made the same mistake when he was cooking for a bunch of us back in our school days. Twenty years later, and we still remind him from time-to-time ;-)

When I was the ice observer on a Coast Guard ship out of Quebec in the mid-70's, the helicopter pilot, helicopter engineer, radio officer and I had dinner together. Until it ran out, we split a bulb of raw garlic as an appetizer. After a few weeks of that, the third officer who I'd been with on a previous cruise complained that he couldn't walk by my cabin without smelling garlic ...

As Emeril says, you can never have enough garlic. It's a healthy additive, makes anything taste better (except for ice cream and chocolate cake) and AFAIC, the more the merrier.

A friend of mine used to play football (the american kind) and as Guard, he was often face-to-face with the opposition defensive tackle. Before each game, he's chow down on several bulbs of garlic, shallots, green onions, blue cheese, anything and everything he could get his hands on that had, um, atmosphere.

Without fail, the guy he was dealing with would often hold his breath just before the snap. Sometimes even closing his eyes. It worked so well, the entire offensive line began doing then same thing. A member of the team once said that the field would smell like a French restaurant.

Apparently the French rugby team used to do this back in the 1970s with Garlic. The Welsh did it with beer.

The Welsh did it with beer.

Drinking or just rubbing their faces in it? If the former, I'm reminded of

Back in my rugby days, we were sponsored by a local brewery who gave each player 2 growlers - one to be drunk before the game started and one to be drunk at the half. It made alot of the pain go away. Did I mention that we finished dead last in the league that year?