Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kaikitsune

Ajigawa-beya

Guest Kaikitsune

Stables full of veterans may not have major hunger present in training nearly as much as after training next toa arom-rich chankonabe pot. Ajigawa-beya has many youngsters and their brightest star Aminishiki is only 23 years old making him the second youngest in Makuuchi bloke in Makuuchi.

Ajigawa-beya consists of 18 rikishi, 2 yobidashi, 1 tokoyama and is lead by former yokozuna Asahifuji. He has recruited brilliant technicians like Aminishiki and Ama. The atmosphere and intensity of Ajigawa-beya training session should be at high level since there are not any real veterans who would simply train to prolong their career. Prior to Haru basho Ajigawa-beya rikishi did a lot of quality de-geiko; another sign of good attitude.

Haru basho was good for Ajigawa rikishi. Aminishiki surprised all by clinching very strong 10-5 record at M6. Makushita rikishi Asofuji and Akinohana got good 5-2 kachi koshi whereas Mongolian Ama won sandanme yusho in convincing manner. The other two sandanme rikishi also reached a winning record.

Aminishiki was born 3.10.1978. His biggest goal in sumo is to gain strength and muscles. Presently he weighs 124kg at 185cm, possesses great yotsu skills and ability to hang in there even when bulldozed to the tawara. He is extremely dangerous when he has established a shitate-grip. From there he can go for leg graps, twisting moves, dashinage or simply drive out much bigger opponent. He also has great reactions to his opponent`s moves. Examples include his susotori against Hamanishiki in Haru. One big plus in Aminishiki`s sumo is his growing endurance against oshi/tsuki rikishi`s power sumo. He has had hard training sessions with Kaio, Kaiho, Takanowaka, Wakanosato, Kotomitsuki, Asashoryu, Toki etc.

He is also humble in his demeanor. Always checking the loser`s condition and offering help. When he came up in Makuuchi and beat Terao the first time he looked apologetic to have beaten him heh...

Davaantam Byambadorj aka Ama was born 14th of April in 1984 so he will celebrate his 18th birthday on Sunday and could get into some bars in Finland to have a beer. 181cm and 89kg are his measures. However hard to say if those are still valid as 18-year old upcoming rikishi tend to gain weight and muscle during the first year or two of the career. He hasn`t had a single make-koshi record so far since his debut in Hatsu 2001. He won Jonokuchi yusho and then steadily went up to sandanme 14 with 4-3/5-2 consecutive records. In Haru basho he outmaneuvered everyone. 7-0 + kettei-sen victory takes him high in Makushita for summer basho.

NHK`s great sumo commentator Katrina knows the young generation in ozumo very well and according to her Ama is cheerful by nature and trains very hard executing spectacular throws.

Ama considers tsuki his favourite technique although his abilities in yotsu techniques are indisputable as can be seen from the table below.

Kyushu 2001
Day1 Higonomine hatakikomi Ama Sd42E
Day2 Kuroiwa hikiotoshi Ama
Day3 Ama shitatedashinage Matenro
Day4 Ama yorikiri Surugatsukasa
Day5 Ama uwatedashinage Hakuba
Day6 Maenishiki yorikiri Ama
Day7 Ama hatakikomi Wakahamada
4-3
Hatsu 2002
Day1 Ama Sd28W uwatedashinage Kiyoazuma
Day2 Ama shitatenage Hakuba
Day3 Asanotosa yoritaoshi Ama
Day4 Ama uwatedashinage Shishio
Day5 Ama kakenage Takakoyama
Day6 Takanoumi uwatenage Ama
Day7 Kubota kimedashi Ama
4-3
Haru 2002
Day1 Ama Sd14W shitatenage Kawaguchi
Day2 Ama oshidashi Kitataiki
Day3 Ama yoritaoshi Kaiseizan
Day4 Ama hatakikomi Kuroiwa
Day5 Ama shitatehineri Daihoyama
Day6 Ama uwatenage Itakura
Day7 Ama uwatenage Tokinoburu
Ketteisen Ama uwatenage Midorifuji
7-0

(Rijicho: Edited cosmetic stuff.)

Great infos, you gave it to us, Kaikitsune-zeki. The recent 7-0 performance by Ama is really very impressive. No doubt he'll fight on top level very soon. He'll be the fourth Mongolian sumotori to hit the Makuuchi !

The question is : do ya think he will keep this very short shikona in the future ? It's not very common ...

From Ama to Aminishiki : I'm looking forward to looking at how he could confirm as top Maegashira (or perhaps Sanyaku next time, who knows ?) and I'm sure he can survive at top level, he really impressed me last time by his skills and his fighting spirit although about fighting spirit as regard the light and skilled wrestlers for me, the most impressive remains Kaiho but the most impressive as skilled wrestler remains Aminishiki, of course. Aminishiki has a very long career to come, because when you take into consideration the age of a similar rikishi like Terao who approaches the 40 years, Aminishiki has golden days to come !

At the reverse, I'm not sure a wrestler like Asashoryu, for example, could remain so quick, so efficient after he'll catch 30 years. He'll gain experience but only very skilled wrestlers can survive after 35 years, I think, although Daizen is a great mistery for me. I cannot believe he's aged of 37 years ! Last time, he had another good basho and he still looks like a young strong wrestler ! I think everybody only pay attention to Terao and forget about the "Daizen phenomena" !

I think Ama will take a beating in Makushita in May as the competition is much fiercer there then in Sandanme. Ama has the chance to make Makuuchi some day, but probably Asasekiryu will make it earlier to become the fourth Mongolian.

I have created a little special on Ajigawa Beya for my website at

http://www.sumoinfo.de/Aktive_Ringer/Ajigawa/ajigawa.html

It is in German but should be easy to understand as it is mainly statictics. I also have a special on Takasago Beya:

http://www.sumoinfo.de/Aktive_Ringer/Takasago/takasago.html

I'm looking forward to looking at how he could confirm as top Maegashira (or perhaps Sanyaku next time, who knows ?)

I'm quite sure Aminishiki will be given the nishi komusubi slot on the Natsu Basho banzuke. Keeping a sanyaku slot for Nagoya Basho as well would really surprise me. I just can't believe yet he'd be that competitive.

Guest Kaikitsune
I have created a little special on Ajigawa Beya for my website at

http://www.sumoinfo.de/Aktive_Ringer/Ajigawa/ajigawa.html

It is in German but should be easy to understand as it is mainly statictics. I also have a special on Takasago Beya:

Very nice pages. Ajigawa-beya also has an official ( I assume) website at [url=http://homepage2.nifty.com/ajigawa-beya/'>http://homepage2.nifty.com/ajigawa-beya/

When it comes to Ama`s chances in Makushita I think just getting 3-4 would be excellent at this point. He will be the youngest in makushita unless Chiyohakuho is even younger. Hard to make any analysis on his future as I haven`t seen him in action yet and hence don`t know about his "natural" weaknesses and how fatal those might be etc.

Aminishiki`s chances to defend his high rank in Natsu are modest but provided that he stays healty and has a successful preparation including quality de-geiko for the basho he will can definitely give problems to any sanyaku. I wait his encounters with Musashimaru, Kaio, Chiyotaikai etc. with great anticipation! The great part is that it really isn`t that easy to push him out even with powerful oshi so he most likely won`t end up being another Kyokushuzan who often gets blasted away with almost disgraceful ease when faced with strong oshi.

I have written.

Well, absolutely right, Ama could be only the fifth, because a 7-0 record can look impressive, but if you

look at Kokkai and Kasugao, the two promising rising foreign stars from Georgia and South Korea respectively, they both made it a 7-0 Yusho two basho ago and that time a very disappointing 3-4 record !

About Aminishiki, I thought he'd be Komusubi next time, although I'm a so poor "Guess the banzuke" player,

that I daren't to guess what could happen ... Some decisions for banzuke are so amazing, sometimes ...

Guest Kaikitsune

As the thread is about Ajigawa-beya some further info is in order. Makushita Asofuji (26 years old) is actually Aminishiki`s older brother and seems to be more of a straight forward oshi-rikishi contrasting his younger brother`s technicality.

Well, absolutely right, Ama could be only the fifth, because a 7-0 record can look impressive, but if you

look at Kokkai and Kasugao, the two promising rising foreign stars from Georgia and South Korea respectively, they both made it a 7-0 Yusho two basho ago and that time a very disappointing 3-4 record !

I strongly disagree to statement that that Kokkai`s 3-4 at high makushita would have been "very disappointing"! Surely not. Upper makushita is totally different world compared to upper sandanme and Kokkai did very well to get 3 wins. He is very inexperienced in ozumo and I consider 3-4 at Ms15 very promising. He lost to former juryo monster Masutsuyoshi and Tomozuna-beya`s juryo-aspirant Tanaka, technical Kyokutenzan (by susotori) and makushita tsukedashi Asamiyoshi. If he can now get kachi koshi in May I would bet he will get to Juryo in 2 years time.

If Ama gets 3-4 in May I am very impressed!

Humble apologies to our Rijicho for including so much Kokkai-stuff into Ajigawa-beya thread. I will do my best in order to learn from my mistakes and I will also want to get double digits in Natsu basho in all games.

Happy Saturday to all

You're right, there are "hard feelings" from myself with Kokkai !!! But you know, I'm looking forward to watching him in Juryo and in Makuuchi very very soon that I can't wait no more ... And this is the same with Ama !!! (Although when I realized the well-known Gojoro trashed everybody in Makushita with a 7-0 record last time, that's why I'm disappointed, in fact)

Guest Kaikitsune

Aminishiki worked diligently during jungyo in April winning 11 bouts of his 17 encounters with Takamisakari, Shimotori and Kyokushuzan concentrating on honing his mawashi grapping skills and sharpening his tachi-ai.

Yesterday he trained at Takasago-beya participating in 28 training bouts winning 20. He experienced some shoulder pain in the middle of the session but after 5 minute break he returned. Also he had some difficulties with his back that has given him some trouble already prior to Haru basho.

Aminishiki does have slight problems with his shoulder as it has been taped up before. Hopefully he will not get a major obstacle out of it. As maegashira 1 he will have his hands full of mean sanyaku-meat and I must reiterate the statement I made before Haru: He must be healthy in order to gain success at such a high rank.

Good luck to Aminishiki!

Guest Kaikitsune

Mr Aminishiki aka Beauty Brocade (copyright by babelvist translator wonder) continued his hard workouts at Takasago-beya. This time winning 14 out of 20 training bouts against Toki, Senshuyama, Asanowaka. Aminishiki and Chiyotaikai have been frequent visitors to Takasago-beya lately. One thing is for sure: Toki gets quality training despite Asashoryu`s absence from most sekitori training sessions for the past week or so.

Looking forward seeing Taikai against Aminishiki at Natsu basho!

Has there been any word on when or if Ajigawa might get his own stable? Or, is he even interested? Or, am I just out of a loop somewhere?

Damn, that's one impressive necro.

Come on, he just retired and still has his mage...well, sort of. No need to hurry.

• Haha 2

If anything I would think he stays on to inherit Isegahama. The current stable master is five years away from reaching the mandatory retirement age.

1 hour ago, Benihana said:

Damn, that's one impressive necro.

Come on, he just retired and still has his mage...well, sort of. No need to hurry.

The search function has amazing powers to raise the dead.

I remember the fellow forumites speculating on this before his mawashi was even cold.

11 hours ago, Churaumi said:

The search function has amazing powers to raise the dead.

I remember the fellow forumites speculating on this before his mawashi was even cold.

And i think i participated. @WAKATAKE is right, waiting for Isegahama to retire is the most logical option.

23 year old "youngster" Aminishiki, underage fledgeling Ama about to "take a beating in Makushita", Midorifuji (just not the current one)... There is a point where simple necromancy becomes the noble discipline of palaeontology. I think we are way beyond that here. Amazing.

• Haha 4

Becoming Isegahama makes to me. 

Check back on this thread in 17 years for updates!