Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Hakuhou preparations-July 2009

"I am not returning to Mongolia. I shall commence keiko on June 3rd", announced Hakuhou today.

Hakuhou has started training today. Shiko and suriashi only to slowly get back into shape, although sweat was observed. "As long as I'm around, I'll be his 'wall' !" he declared, referring to Harumafuji's tsunatori attempt. He himself was denied his promotion after he had a 13-2. 13-2, 14-1 yusho , and a 13-2 record because it looked like he "gave" Asashouryuu the yusho in Nagoya 3 years ago. "I am what I am today because my promotion was delayed back then.. Now it's my turn to stop someone else", he explained. With an 8-7, 10-5 and 14-1 run, Harumafuji's record is weak compared to Hakuhou's back then.

Hakuhou playing catch for 50 minutes after the keiko:

spf0906031808001-p1.jpg

A whole bunch of photos can be found here:

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/090603/s...31808001-n1.htm (click on the small photos at the bottom)

Edited by Kintamayama

Thanks for the updates and link!

Nice pics. You can tell he loves being photographed.

Thanks for the updates and link!

Nice pics. You can tell he loves being photographed.

Thanks for the pics & link as well!

I was just thinking the same thing when I looked at all the pictures.... you can tell he loves being photographed! And it shows in the pictures! That is always nice!

In commemoration of 50 years of sales of the Honda Super-Cub Motorcycle, Hakuhou has designed one. Having Ghengis Khan in mind, it's blue and has the number 69 on it, as it is a known fact that at 69 kilometers per hour, you turn over as he is the 69th Yokozuna. "It's not too simple and not too showy. It looks much cooler than I imagined!", said an excited Hakuhou. 60 other "celebs" were asked to design their own bike.

Monoii!! Aren't rikishi not allowed to ride motorbikes??

Person- He was not riding it-he was being pushed from the back.

Oh..

After the events will end, the bike will be sold for charity.

Hakuhou not riding the bike, but being pushed by the Invisible Man, who also designed his own Invisible Bike:

20090603-073774-1-L.jpg

20090604mog00m050004000p_size5.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Hakuhou not riding the bike, but being pushed by the Invisible Man, who also designed his own Invisible Bike:

:-) GREAT!!!!!

The Invisible Man on the Invisible bike!! I love it!!!!

"Anyone can come watch asageiko, you know. It sure would be nice if people came..", said Hakuhou today during training, when no visitors turned up to watch Miyagino beya's asageiko. He had 27 bouts against the heya's Makushita guys and won them all, throwing some guys off the wall in the process.

It seems not uncommon that people don't go to Miyagino asageiko! The times I've been there was just my friend & I. Once a camera crew from Mongolia was there as well. We even went just before the basho when most heya are full of visitors!

One problem is that getting them to answer the phone isn't always easy so it is hard to know if you can go or if Hakuho will be there. I just started contacting Hokazan directly to find out the situation.

I think with all the degeigo Hakuho is doing many people may feel they'll miss him anyway so don't bother turning up.

The downside for my friends & I is that it is a couple hours or more to get to see asageiko & Miyagino is so short 8-10 that it isn't really worth the trip there.. time, gas, tolls... we get a lot more keiko at places like Azumazeki or Kasugano for 3-4 hours!

I think with all the degeigo Hakuho is doing many people may feel they'll miss him anyway so don't bother turning up.

The downside for my friends & I is that it is a couple hours or more to get to see asageiko & Miyagino is so short 8-10 that it isn't really worth the trip there.. time, gas, tolls... we get a lot more keiko at places like Azumazeki or Kasugano for 3-4 hours!

Right on! People with limited time tend to go to places where there is bound to be some action (even if not the top action!). It was sheer luck when I caught Harumafuji recently, just before Agence France Presse interviewed him (when I had warned my guest that it would be potluck) and a more recent guest got a regular "day at the office" asageiko at Kasugano. I envy Ilovetochinoshin the time she can spend and the incredible connections she has made in the past few years - but I am in no way diminished by her success. I really enjoy her posts, which add a lot at second-hand to my own old connections.

Orion, wondering how much keiko-viewing she can get in before Norikomi (June 28 when everybody who hasn't already gone to their Nagoya quarters _has_ to get on the train and go -- and suddenly Tokyo is empty).

Hakuhou has started training as well today at home- 18 bouts with Ryuuou and others. He doesn't like the summer, it is said. "I wanted to go about it at my own pace. It's just the beginning, you know..", he said.

Hakuhou has started training as well today at home- 18 bouts with Ryuuou and others. He doesn't like the summer, it is said. "I wanted to go about it at my own pace. It's just the beginning, you know..", he said.

Well - 2004.07 - 11-4; 2005.07 - 6-3-6; 2006.07 13-2 Jun-Yusho; 2007.07 - first tournament as Yokozuna 11-4; 2008.07 15-0. If he does not like the summer, he likes to win! :-P Or he paves the early way to Yokozuna for Hermafuji? (In a state of confusion...)

Hakuhou took it easy again today, doing some light training against the heya's Makushita and lower. He seems to have some back pains, though it doesn't look serious. "I will be going for degeiko as usual, at the beginning of next week", he said. More than 100 fans were there to watch keiko, and Hakuhou was happy to take pictures and and hand out autographs. "These regional bashos are great. They're once a year so they're very refreshing", he concluded.

Hakuhou, after having 30 bouts against the lower rankers in his heya, upon hearing that Asashouryuu and Harumafuji faced each other today: "Oh, really?? Everyone is really early this time..".

Hakuhou finally went on his first degeiko today - to Sakaigawa beya. He was in perfect form. He had 24 bouts with the likes of Goueidou, Iwakiyama and Toyohibiki. His taping-less , well tapered body was glistening in the sun. He showed all those who were whispering that he is not ready yet where it's at. "I've been moving my body all this time so my physical condition is good. I had good keiko", he said, smile glistening in the sun. He did not let himself get pushed and used his first step to stop attacks, ending the bouts with yoris and nages. Visiting ex-rikishi and current TV commentator Mainoumi, glasses glistening in the sun: "His strength is different.. He is in perfect shape, is he not? " Hakuhou is planning to continue his degeiko outings. When told that Asashouryuu was training with great enthusiasm, he answered, "I will be continuing at my own pace", sweat glistening from his supple body in the sun.

But is he listening to his son?

Hakuhou with Toyohibiki, but hold on!! Where's the sun?

spf0907051623003-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Yokozuna Hakuhou and Ozeki Harumafuji both went for degeiko to Ooshima beya. Hakuhou won their bouts 9-2. Harumafuji was looking fatigued and was guarding his lower back. "My back is fatigued and I can't generate power. I have to think about my body balance and take great care to face day 1 without injury", he said. "It was good keiko. I'm going about it as usual", said Hakuhou. "The Yokozuna is looking good with every movement he makes!", summed Komusubi Kyokutenhou.

Back to Ooshima beya again today for the Yokozuna, who did sanban keiko against Harumafuji again. Yesterday, he was mostly responding to Harumafuji's moves, but today, he was the initiator and was 12-3 against the Ozeki. "Well, it feels great!", he said later.

From yesterday:

f-sp-090708-1511-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

The guy in the back looks like he has a bowl of popcorn, munching away while watching the bouts. Mmmm, that seems like a good idea, except no access to the ozumo :(

That guy in the background is the future yokozuna Kyukushuho. Haven't seen his pictures lately, looks like he is growing well.

Hakuhou went to Sadogatake beya and had 19 bouts against Kotooushuu, Kotomitsuki and others. He especially had a hard time against Kotooushuu (who stopped his winning streak at 33 last basho). "He's in good shape, isn't he? ", he opined. "I was able to get in shape at my own pace. It's a Yokozuna's responsibility to be involved in the yusho race till the last day. That is my goal", he said. He is done with degeiko, most probably.

Hakuhou went to Sadogatake beya and had 19 bouts against Kotooushuu, Kotomitsuki and others. He especially had a hard time against Kotooushuu (who stopped his winning streak at 33 last basho). "He's in good shape, isn't he? ", he opined. "I was able to get in shape at my own pace. It's a Yokozuna's responsibility to be involved in the yusho race till the last day. That is my goal", he said. He is done with degeiko, most probably.

He was 14-5 against them, and 4-4 against Osh.. Look out?