Sign in to follow this  
Manekineko

All the manga you can read

Here. I've been hooked, literally, for the last month and a half. My interest in sumo and work has suffered, and now I'm a recovering mangaholic.

Personal recommendation - Full Metal Alchemist.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out. I buy ウルトラジャンプ monthly and tankobons for 銃夢 Last Order, 天獄 and 天上天下 as well. Reading manga in Japanese was what got me interested in learning the language in the first place as the translations are generally poor, often change the story completely and censor a lot of stuff out which is no fun!

I'd like to read a sumo manga/comic. Know any?

Not any available online. I bought almost complete "Ore wa chikara!" sumo manga from a Forum member ages back. Not a current comic (sometime around Taka-Waka boom, I gather), it's about two shin-deshi, one from Kyushu and other from Hokkaido, joining Takegane-beya (any similarity with Matsugane-beya purely intentional (Clapping wildly...) ). Story follows their progress through the ranks and is a pretty realistic sport manga.

"Hakkeyoi" is a (still ongoing?) Sumo-Manga by Nami Taro and Maekawa Takashi. Unfortunately it was never released outside Japan. However, the first issue (of at least) 3 can be easily found as an illegal scan with english translation on the internet. Of course you would have to google by yourself. No link in this board.

Slightly Off Topic: In the German Comic-Series "Mosaik" (the most popular comic in the GDR and still ongoing) about the beginning of 21st Century the characters of tge series had some adventures in 19th century Japans, also visiting a heya with two rikishi called "Takanonami" and "Otsukasa". :D

Edited by Usagi

May contain spoilers!

"Sumo" is a Comic Novel (nowadays known as "Graphic Novel") by US-Comic-author Thien Pham.

It is a very short novel with about 100 pages and felt about only 200 words. It is abot Scott, who's efforts to make it to the NFL didn't succeed and who got dumped by his girlfriend and decides to become a Sumotori. With beautiful graphics and a style of not using much speach, Pham has not much place to tell a story, so the story focusses on only 2 moments: Scott's departure to Japan and the Basho that could get him into Sekitori-status.

A comic not only but especially for sumo-fans.

• Like 1

May contain spoilers!

"Sumo" is a Comic Novel (nowadays known as "Graphic Novel") by US-Comic-author Thien Pham.

It is a very short novel with about 100 pages and felt about only 200 words. It is abot Scott, who's efforts to make it to the NFL didn't succeed and who got dumped by his girlfriend and decides to become a Sumotori. With beautiful graphics and a style of not using much speach, Pham has not much place to tell a story, so the story focusses on only 2 moments: Scott's departure to Japan and the Basho that could get him into Sekitori-status.

A comic not only but especially for sumo-fans.

This is great, very enjoyable :)

Here. I've been hooked, literally, for the last month and a half. My interest in sumo and work has suffered, and now I'm a recovering mangaholic.

Personal recommendation - Full Metal Alchemist.

It says "under contruction" for me, i hope the site is just being updated and i'm not country-restricted.

That site was taken down due to copyright issues, but I'm sure that keywords "read manga online free" will yield something. :-P

There is the site called Manga Fox. They have hundreds of manga but they usually discontinue once a title has been licensed for publication in the USA.

http://mangafox.me/

Thank you guys much appreciated, i didn't notice the first post was from 2009, silly me. :-D

Thank you guys much appreciated, i didn't notice the first post was from 2009, silly me. :-D

The recommendation of Full Metal Alchemist still stands, even more now that it's complete. That's one verrry good manga.

Shameless plug: you can buy 3-in-1 collection (in English), my preferred site for buying books/comics is Bookdepository (magic words - free shipping).

Edited by Manekineko
  • Like 1