Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Two Makuuchi wrestlers tested for flu

On the day that the first cases in Japan of the oink oink were confirmed, two Makuuchi rikishi went to the Kkan infirmary after falling ill to check for the flu. No names were named, but maybe someone here knows, though they may choose to keep this information to themselves as usual.

Edited by Kintamayama

On the day that the first cases in Japan of the oink oink were confirmed, two Makuuchi rikishi went to the Kkan infirmary after falling ill to check for the flu. No names were named, but maybe someone here knows, though they may choose to keep this information to themselves as usual.

Is this just some very Japanese PR or is it really so that rikishi with no contacts to risk areas or people at risk undergo tests for this H1N1 virus if they have influenza symptoms? Or even just regular flu symptoms?? I am aware of the strange panic mood in Japan around these issues and exaggeration of a kind but this is just silly or silly PR. Finland has confirmed H1N1 cases too and only risk targets are tested if clear symptoms.

It's very much a panic situation here. Schools in Kobe and Osaka have been closed for the next week as the first domestic cases of H1N1 have been confirmed in high school students. Masks are flying off the shelves. Everyone asks how my family is back in Canada - are they ravaged by illness? Public health centres have been designated for flu cases for the coming pandemic. Some reports of non-designated hospitals turning away those with flu-like symptoms. International travel (school trips, sports matches, and so on) have been postponed or canceled. Very similar to what happened when SARS was all the rage back about six years ago. I know several people who traveled abroad at that time, and when they returned were asked not to come back to the the office for another week. None of them felt the slightest bit ill, but their companies were extremely concerned about the miniscule risk of them carry a deadly foreign disease back.

It's very much a panic situation here.

don't get me started...must hold tongue and not unleash a rant...must hold tongue (Showing respect...)

For what it is worth, apparently Japanese tourism to NZ has dropped dramatically since we had confirmations of swine flu. Also, a friend who works for a Japanese subsidiary in NZ told me they have been supplied with a whole bunch of masks and hand sanitiser from head office in Tokyo. Also, all the Japanese families (wives and children) have been sent back to Japan for their safety. Hysteria, much?

Is this just some very Japanese PR or is it really so that rikishi with no contacts to risk areas or people at risk undergo tests for this H1N1 virus if they have influenza symptoms? Or even just regular flu symptoms?? I am aware of the strange panic mood in Japan around these issues and exaggeration of a kind but this is just silly or silly PR. Finland has confirmed H1N1 cases too and only risk targets are tested if clear symptoms.

Panic is it. The flu is clearly spreading unusually rapidly -- Kobe is seemingly paralyzed. The only thing to watch is that, although, outside Mexico, it is clearly a very mild form of flu at the moment, it could easily morph into something genuinely deadly, all over the world. The SAARS epidemic, OTOH, was very deadly, though the only effect it had on me personally was that, when I was going with a church team to Mongolia on my first of three trips for Habitat for Humanity, we had a MIAT plane almost entirely to ourselves (and were, rightly, treated like potential lepers on our arrival at Ulaan Baatar airport).

Orion who wishes she had hindsight as good as experience

So every year in the United States approximately 36000 people DIE from the standard old garden variety flu. That's 36000 a year! So tell me, those of you on-site in Japan and other foreign venues, do the people of your various areas stop coming to the US between October and March (the height of our flue season)?

The WORLDWIDE numbers being put up for H1N1 flu are a drop in the bucket compared to 36000, so why all this fuss? Take the usual precaustions, don't go to work/school/concerts etc. if you have flu like symptonms, stay home treat your symptoms and rest. That's the standard treatment for influenza but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water in panic.

Edited by Chisaiyama

125 cases so far. Watching the news there (already missed on bout because of it), it seems a sense of urgency is in place, with all kinds of plans if and when-including schools and warnings of crowded places etc.. They even mentioned the possibility of calling off "sports events" if it becomes widespread.

Edited by Kintamayama

Getting back to the sumo - the JSA has been spraying alcohol on the hands of everyone entering the kokugikan complex. Now, from what I have read about the chances of transmitting swine flu, that seems like a pretty sensible thing to do, for the following reasons:

As a countermeasure it actually can stop transmission.

It isn't just window dressing (unlike the masks).

It is possible some sumo fans from Kobe could bring it up with them (or some dirty foreign fans - the kokugikan is full of those damned furreners), and if the kyokai did nothing, they would be accused of being out of touch, not responsive to a crisis blah blah blah.

Of course, half the oyakata walking about in masks does somewhat undercut the "we are responding responsibly and without panic" vibe, but you can't have everything.

When I was there on Saturday, I saw a rikishi (Shimotori, IIRC) wearing one as he was walking in and took it off as he entered the KK itself.