Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Both Yokozuna play golf-Sumo world angry

A few more details. Only about ten phone calls to the Kyokai offices regarding this issue-most of them angry, some saying "What's the big deal??" Kyokai guy said he was surprised at the low number of calls.

The YDC is already very angry and some members have said they will bring this up after the basho. One guy even said this booboo was worth at least a one- basho suspension. Kyokutenhou won the tournament, Asa was second.

A few more details. Only about ten phone calls to the Kyokai offices regarding this issue-most of them angry, some saying "What's the big deal??" Kyokai guy said he was surprised at the low number of calls.

The YDC is already very angry and some members have said they will bring this up after the basho. One guy even said this booboo was worth at least a one- basho suspension. Kyokutenhou won the tournament, Asa was second.

Are they going to suspend every Mongolian who was there? Now that would be interesting...

Are they going to suspend every Mongolian who was there? Now that would be interesting...

Not interesting but stupid. If there have been just a very few calls - nobody want's blood - so the Kyoukai as butcher would be strange.

Grass over it. THIS is really not a big deal.

You really think this is about missing training? What if a main-Tanimachi calls? Everybody would skip training...

They would go in the afternoon\evening. Any Tanimachi man would know better than to invite a rikishi in the morning when he's supposed to be training. And of course, I think this scandal is totally justified. The bigger scandal is that their insufficient keiko won't even show.

The Friday before a Basho s off.

You really think this is about missing training? What if a main-Tanimachi calls? Everybody would skip training...

They would go in the afternoon\evening. Any Tanimachi man would know better than to invite a rikishi in the morning when he's supposed to be training. And of course, I think this scandal is totally justified. The bigger scandal is that their insufficient keiko won't even show.

The Friday before a Basho s off.

Well, AFAIK, a lot of training went on this last Friday, and I remember nearly every basho before this that at least the Yokozuna were surely training. Some of the better diggers will dig up my translations , hopefully.

Wonder how that crow tastes since both Yokozuna are on off to a winning streak.

Must not really be much of a big issue. Apparently they thought they were ready for the Basho and are now proving it on the dohyo.

im not trying to be snarky here but the way you just described it makes it sound like one must be VERY careful golfing, and i just cant agree with that. its not that serious at all. its golf, its not like they were playing rugby. if one sustains injury while golfing then they are problem a little too delicate to be a rikishi. proper form or not. ...yes you COULD hurt yourself golfing, just like you COULD get hit by a bus walking across the street, but its highly unlikely.

I guess I fall into the "COULD" category. I tore my meniscus on the 5th hole of my last round of the year (quite) a few years ago. I was able to finish the round (with the aid of a cart), but sumo would've been right out. (Shaking head...) I had no prior symptoms, but ripped it pretty good. I still gimp around a bit when the humidity is up. Just call me the delicate one, I guess. (Help me...)

Come to think of it, another forum member, Hidariashiyama, also tore his meniscus playing golf. Of course, his was while he was playing video golf (Golden Tee -- true story). B-)

Now as for these two getting hurt by golf -- pure fantasy!!! I think it was probably a nice way for them to relieve the pre-basho pressure. Better than going out & partying...

You are all barking up the wrong tree. The criticism levied on the rikishi was not for missing keiko or for playing golf per se. In fact, several reports mentioned that Hakuho and Kakuryu, for example, were off from keiko that day, and the latter did not even play. He was there as the Treasurer of the Mongolian Rikishi Association.

白鵬や鶴竜らは部屋のけいこが休みで、鶴竜はプレーしなかったものの、初日の土俵で激突する2人がゴルフ場で顔を合わせていたのだから、あらぬ誤解を与えかねない事態といえる。

Rather, it was a matter of appropriateness in the eyes of the public for a group of rikishi to have a social outing when they should be concentrating on the tournament which was to begin in two days. As anyone that has played golf knows, a "friendly" golf tournament, especially the 19th hole, is an occasion for hobnobbing. The media wondered how it would look for Asashoryu, who was scheduled to face Kakuryu on Day 1, to be seen chatting and drinking with his prospective opponent.

The media also mentioned the recent court cases regarding yaocho. Any behavior that could be misconstrued should be studiously avoided. In the American sports world, this is called "fraternization." Players from opposing teams should not socialize with each other. At least, they should not be seen doing so in public.

Quote from Rattlebones:

Wonder how that crow tastes since both Yokozuna are on off to a winning streak.

Must not really be much of a big issue. Apparently they thought they were ready for the Basho and are now proving it on the dohyo.

Actually that day 1 match between Asashoryu and Kakuryu pretty much made it look like to me at least, that the Yokozuna could have used that day of training as he came verrrrryy close to losing that one.

Oh yeah and of course he DID lose that day 3 matchup with Aminishiki and it was just a straight ahead bull's rush, no tricks, no henkas just plain forward moving sumo.

Mayhap the crow hasn't really been served yet! At least not to both Yokozunas.

Edited by Chisaiyama

Actually that day 1 match between Asashoryu and Kakuryu pretty much made it look like to me at least, that the Yokozuna could have used that day of training as he came verrrrryy close to losing that one.

Maybe he spent that day doing something else that would help him win....

OK, jokes, people!!

I most sports you train lightly, or even not at all the day before a competition. That way your body gets more in shape and probably your mind too.

I guess it disturbs the sumoculture with golf, but I think it helps not to train hard just before the Basho.

BTW, is that really you Kawika ?

How

If (say), the English football (soccer) team played a fun golf tournament (with the 19th hole etc) a few days before a major match, I would not be overly impressed, I think.....

If (say), the English football (soccer) team played a fun golf tournament (with the 19th hole etc) a few days before a major match, I would not be overly impressed, I think.....

Your analogy should include the opponents in the next match, though... What do you think then?

Tomozuna and Kokonoe expressed their discomfort. "I wouldn't have gone if I were still active", said Kokonoe.

Without going into the actual issue, I still wonder if this is really true. As far as I know, Kokonoe always enjoyed golf and I wouldn't put it past him, at least in the latter stages of his career, to accept to play if he found the opportunity entertaining enough, even a couple of days before hon-basho. But of course it's impossible to know.

I most sports you train lightly, or even not at all the day before a competition. That way your body gets more in shape and probably your mind too.

I guess it disturbs the sumoculture with golf, but I think it helps not to train hard just before the Basho.

BTW, is that really you Kawika ?

How

At today's rijikai, Musashigawa rijicho orally warned the Oyakatas whose deshi were involved in Mongolf. "See to it that this never happens again under any circumstances", he is reported as saying. " I wouldn't mind it if it were after the basho, but before the basho- not good!", he was quoted as saying by another Oyakata.

He was fulfilling his promise to the YDC from a few days ago to warn the Oyakatas concerning this issue.

Edited by Kintamayama