Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

Takanohana's diet book

(Might as well give this a thread...)

I read the other day that Takanohana had put out a diet book recently. I suppose that might keep his name in the spotlight and we might have more recruits for his heya soon?

Who knows about recruits, but it did get a lot of fans to attend Tuesday's official presentation and signing session at Tsutaya bookstore in Roppongi for 貴流 心氣体 (roughly: Taka's way for spirit, mind and body), released a couple of weeks ago and detailing the methods he used to drop his weight from some 160 to under 90 kg in less than two years after his active career ended.

Among the people waiting in line was also a former sumo wrestler: Yutaka Kimura, who went as high as sandanme in the 1990s, became an entertainer/comedian after his active days (now as Koken Kimura) and apparently had started out his new career by doing impersonations of Takanohana-oyakata after being told that his face looked just like the yokozuna's. Until Tuesday they'd never met, however. (Somebody more in tune with Japanese pop culture may know more, as I'm woefully out of my element here...)

gnj0904080502004-p1.jpg

g2009040807KTtaka_b.jpg

gnf0904072046005-p1.jpg

I would love to read it.....in english (On the banzuke...) I guess it will never be translated though :-)

Thanks for the info

Hmm..maybe the "secrets" of his diet:

1. Stop massive steroid use and lose 30kg of muscle mass

2. Stop eating big rice meals and in general just eat like a normal man and fat leaves the body

3. Don't start drinking big amounts of alcohol. I got the impression that Takanohana wasn't that big of a alcohol consumer though.

There is diffierent kinds of weight losses too. Some oyakata has mostly lost the muscles and the size that is left is a lot of fat and muscle where fat taken place. The muscle MRI images of some retired athletes who still look to be quite genki, show also the interesting accumulation of fat. Size of the muscle area can be preserved even quite well but muscle mass goes down and fattening of the area happens.

I have been told by a Rikishi that Taka just ate nothing and drank a lot of green tea for months...

well...if he tells this to young girls and boys...oh dear... I hope he writes about the healthy part of Chanko and that he lost wight eating that - low fat, no rice etc.

I know myself how easy it is to slide into a bad eating disorder...tea only-diet sux.

Hmm..maybe the "secrets" of his diet ...

I didn't translate (well, in my case "try to make sense of") his quotes, mostly because half a dozen papers managed to include half a dozen different quotes this time and I still wouldn't be finished compiling them if I'd tried. Anyway, what I gathered about his methods was mostly this: Eat what you want to eat but eat it slowly; drink lots of fluids; daily exercises including your own favourite, shiko. At least that's what the papers chose to highlight. In other words, probably nothing particularly earth-shattering as weight-loss programs go.

Edited by Asashosakari

Anyway, what I gathered about his methods was mostly this: Eat what you want to eat but eat it slowly; drink lots of fluids; daily exercises including your own favourite, shiko. At least that's what the papers chose to highlight. In other words, probably nothing particularly earth-shattering as weight-loss programs go.

They forgot to mention the obvious--that a weight loss diet should consist of food that provides proper nutrition and that you have to eat quite a bit less of it than before. I think the most important reason for his successful weight loss was that he did it very slowly. Losing 65 or 70 kg. over a period of around a year and a half comes out to a loss of a kilogram (just about two pounds) every week. Weight loss experts consider that as a very safe amount of weight to lose. This is what the Mayo Clinic, a highly respected source of health information, has to say about that:

"When you're considering what to expect from your new eating and exercise plan, be realistic. Healthy weight loss occurs slowly and steadily. Aim to lose 1 to 2 pounds (0.5 to 1 kilogram) a week. To do this, you need to burn 500 to 1,000 calories more than you consume each day, through a low-calorie diet and regular exercise."

Apparently, Takanohana has done exactly what the experts advised--eat less, exercise regularly, and lose the weight gradually. Nothing earth-shattering, but very safe, quite effective, and much healthier than eating nothing and only drinking green tea. If he followed that sort of "diet", he wouldn't have survived very long. :-(

Edited by sekitori

Kōji Hanada was never destined to be a fat man, he had to force his body and nearly destroy it to get that big - losing the weight came quite naturally. The Polynesians - Konishiki et al on the otherhand are battling a rough hand the game of life dealt to them in terms their bodies and inclination to be obese. Adiponectin issues etc.

Hmm..maybe the "secrets" of his diet:

According to Asahi Shimbun and Babelfish, the book stresses the value of "stretch and the effect of four crotches". (Lifting weights...) (Exercising...)

You know, as fast as he slimmed down to almost too skinny and kept it off it seems to me he really is more qualified to write a book about how he managed to stay at his sumo weight for so many years, when it was obviously a colossal chore, fighting against his natural metabolism in order to stay chunky (even more of a chore than most any other wrestler I mean). Of course, not many would buy a "how to get fat and stay there" book I guess.