Sign in to follow this  
Asameshimae

Natsu basho masu seki

Having gone to a fair number of tournaments, and now that I live in Tokyo, I normally just show up early, get a non-reserved ticket for the same day, and spend the day wandering around, usually never even bothering to find my nose-bleed seat. But I look at the masuseki with more and more longing every time I go. I would love at least once to sit in a masuseki (that I actually paid for!!) and get loaded down with food and sake and gifts while poring over the days bouts. I have never been much of a networker. I have friends who like sumo, but not as much as me, and not enough to go in on a masu seki with me. Anyone interested in going in on a masu seki for the Natsu - May basho? Four people is way too tight even for four elderly Japanese; but I think 3 people is probably doable. I would prefer a weekend day (suppose most would) and the final day would be optimal. I have never really taken at a good look at the prices or perks of different levels of masuseki seats, but I could find out more detail. Any takers? I figured I'd ask early.

IIRC you still wouldn't get loaded with food and sake if you just by a plain old masu seki for four persons. That kind of treatment only comes with buying the masu seki through one of the chaya which makes it even considerably more expensive. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong there...

you are wrong

wow, this is a really useful information. Perhaps you could enlighten us what would be a right answer if this isn't beyond your power ...

Guess I'm sick to death of this finally.

Evidently, the meaning of the verb "to correct" isn't obvious to everyone. Hint to the native speaker: it's not synonymous with "to contradict".

Edit: Oh, just realized, it's Friday night in Japan again. So just the usual.

Re-edit: Maybe SFM needs its own blog or forum where some of its contributors (I can think of two...wait, three including Eric Blair) can post to their heart's content without having to deal with people who refuse to put them on the pedestals they obviously want to be placed on? Just a thought. That would also help out the poor suffering SML population which has been even worse off than this place over the last half year or so...

Edited by Asashosakari

You can buy four seat (or two seat or whatever) Masu seki and go out and buy whatever fancy you - like Asashoryu bento box or sandwich or hotdog at a food place. You can even eat at the restaurant. In these cases you do not need to buy the souvenir sets your Chaya is selling. I imagine you can even bring in your own home made onigiri if you are so inclined while drinking a tea your attendant brings to you when he shows to your seat. Anyway you can still order a souvenir set from one of the chaya as they often have extra or a similar item from one of the souvenir places.

However if you go for the souvenir sets - assuming there are four people in your place, your typical total price tag will be over 100,000 yen.

(they are those big paper bags full of goodies like rikishi tea cups, BBQ chicken, a can of beer and a program guide). Now you can buy the program guide at a souvenir place along with other goodies but a lot of people who go through a Chaya tend to buy the package. In case you are not familiar, you can ask for another beer or sake or wine for free. Incidentally this is one of the few places in Japan you are generally expected to give a tip to your server.

Personally I buy a Masu seat so rarely that I actually don't mind all those goodies - eating and drinking etc and paying the price for it. I only make sure to tell them to hold those big bags at their stall and pick them up on the way home as you said, the space is rather limited even with three people.

I will be in Japan in the second week and may have a time to check a day or two but this time I go with a day seat as I intend to be there by 9 AM. I am sure I will get to see Orion san one of those days around 9:30 in her favorite "masu" seat.....

I will be in Japan in the second week and may have a time to check a day or two but this time I go with a day seat as I intend to be there by 9 AM. I am sure I will get to see Orion san one of those days around 9:30 in her favorite "masu" seat.....

It's a date, Jonosuke!

Orion, who tries to get there for the first hour of each day, especially when maezumo is on in the first week

IIRC you still wouldn't get loaded with food and sake if you just by a plain old masu seki for four persons. That kind of treatment only comes with buying the masu seki through one of the chaya which makes it even considerably more expensive. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong there...

You are absolutely right. There are absoluterly no 'perks' in buying a masu-seki; you pay extra for all the goodies.

Orion

After all my visits, I just assumed you got at least a bento and at least one keen souvenir with a masuseki. A natural outgrowth of my lack of networking skills I guess. I wish I could afford the whole shebang, of course. Having said that, it has always seemed to me that all that food and sake would distract one from the spectacle one is actually there to see...

Edited by Asanomeshi

you are wrong

Oh, come on, Mark. No one deserves a "seagull manager" treatment like that.

The Masu seats can be purchased from the Kokugikan at regular price, a masu box for the price of a box only. Nothing else except where you sit! They can also be purchased from the ticket agencies with either the option of having obento sets or not.

I always buy Masu C seats for weekends & holidays and I bring my own food and drinks. First of all since I am there from 8am I couldn't just do with one obento & a tea for the entire day :)

I have indulged in Obento/omiyagi sets twice. It is nice & I was lucky enough to know the Ochayasan well that we got better assortment for our 10,000 yen each than others around us! That was very nice!

The average is 10,000 yen for a standard package (this is where the Ochaya make their money!) lunch and beer type snacks, 1 beer, 1 cup sake & unlimited tea (hot) or bottle of cold is usually the norm. Then a special souvenir (or two) that you can't buy from any shops. The program and whatever else they throw in!

They also make a 15,000 yen assortment & 5,000 & 3,000 with just a lunch box.

For the record it is my opinion that most of the people I have met & sat near that indulged in such huge packages & got beer served them all day (extra fee) were not there to watch Sumo like the average Sumo Forum member here! They are there for entertainment which is another reason they don't usually show up till 1600 or even later! They often sit with their backs to the dohyo eating & drinking not even watching Sumo. On more than one occasion I have sat next to a couple who have purchased (or been given by some company..) a set including the box and four omiyage/obento sets and when they saw the size of the packages they gave me a bag or two & said "dozo.." because they couldn't eat all that! And they don't want to carry it all home. Even in Osaka a man gave me the extra bag of stuff that his wife didn't want to carry home at 1800 that they were going to throw in the trash!

Those people don't usually even take the programs home so how big of Sumo fans can they be?

In Osaka I picked up a number of programs left for trash in the boxes at the end of the day.

And I found a kid trying to sell programs the last day for 100 yen. I found out he had collected them that day as people left and was selling them to those who didn't have one at the door! I suppose if the Kyokai found him they wouldn't like that!

I know some Ochaya-san and they know me well, they know that I'd rather go to see Sumo every day then buy expensive lunches and omiyagi sets! Even they agree their stuff is over priced but people pay for it and that is how they make their money. They agree that Koenkai and business men just want to say they went to Sumo & drink & eat and they write the whole thing off the taxes somewhere anyway.

Speaking of them not knowing anything about Sumo really I have often been sitting in a box when the people came, moved to the next box. Thanked the people for their box, letting them know I enjoyed it from 8am and they say "is there Sumo at 8am?" Many of them don't even know how to read their banzuke.. They don't know anything.. "what happens at 8am?" They look at the programs trying to match up faces because they don't even watch on TV to know the faces of anyone except maybe Yokozuna & Ozeki.

I'm afraid to get a box with obento set, someone might confuse me with those people.. LOL

Lastly in my honest opinion I think the obento that they sell at the stand like Asashoryu, Harumafuji, etc. are much more delicious than the ones from the Ochaya-san!

And... The people in the last few rows of Masu C are much more interested in Sumo and much more fun.. but hang out in Masu A long enough to get a cast away obento bag if you can!! LOL

Of course that's no different from anything else, from fast food joints to opera... Casual attendees are who keeps the Kyokai in business, as simple as that.

I remember Basho meant diet to me ^^

Ran to the kokugikan, sat down, was afraid of ochaya-san all day...no way eating there...

if we had some snacks with us, then we took them at naka iri.

you are wrong

Moderator Notice
We have reason to believe that this post was made by a Mark-impersonator trying to cause trouble. Please ignore it accordingly.

Of course that's no different from anything else, from fast food joints to opera... Casual attendees are who keeps the Kyokai in business, as simple as that.

Agree with you completely!!! They bring in the money! on the other hand...

.... my friend who goes to all 6 basho with the cheapest tickets possible every day doesn't spend as much on a whole basho (in the kokugikan) as the people throwing money away do in one afternoon but if it weren't for people like him there would be nobody to support any of the younger guys at all!

That man is there every day before the first match until the last match is over. He respects the Jonokuchi boys as much as Yokozuna! He is friends with so many parents of the younger ranks and emails their parents (as I do) with instant results when they aren't there. He brings his own lunch and snacks and drinks and we refill our water bottles at the water fountain but I respect him more than the people who know nothing about Sumo but come there flashing expensive suits or kimonos and throwing money to the Ochaya for beer all afternoon!

But of course the Ochaya wouldn't like my view!! LOL

Edited by ilovetochinoshin

One of my tournament visits from years ago, I was hanging out or "standing" as near as I could to the dohyo trying to see the makuuchi wrestlers up close w/o getting a warning from those roaming obasans in uniform. Anyway, the family next to me (mother, father, mid-20s son), after too much sake, got into a blazing row (well the ma and pa anyway). After several minutes of this, the mother left in a huff, the son shrugged and followed her, the father got up slowly and gathered their things and then looked at me and gestured "douzo" to the masu seat and the uneaten bento and a few other goodies. I sat and enjoyed myself with my closest view ever and food to boot. Loved that squatter experience. Don't remember a thing about the bouts I saw, or even exactly when it was, but it's a fond memory.

You gotta be careful. That could have been Hayashi Masumi and family...

I doubt they have curry in the obento...

One of my tournament visits from years ago, I was hanging out or "standing" as near as I could to the dohyo trying to see the makuuchi wrestlers up close w/o getting a warning from those roaming obasans in uniform. Anyway, the family next to me (mother, father, mid-20s son), after too much sake, got into a blazing row (well the ma and pa anyway). After several minutes of this, the mother left in a huff, the son shrugged and followed her, the father got up slowly and gathered their things and then looked at me and gestured "douzo" to the masu seat and the uneaten bento and a few other goodies. I sat and enjoyed myself with my closest view ever and food to boot. Loved that squatter experience. Don't remember a thing about the bouts I saw, or even exactly when it was, but it's a fond memory.

This is a fabulous story! I'm so sorry that family missed out after getting drunk.... But it worked out very well for you!!! :)

I saw the police take a couple men out of a Masu A box before for being drunk and provoking someone. I wanted to ask the other two men if I could take their place :)

you are wrong

Moderator Notice
We have reason to believe that this post was made by a Mark-impersonator trying to cause trouble. Please ignore it accordingly.

Did anything ever come of this?

Did anything ever come of this?

It could be neither proved nor disproved.