Sign in to follow this  
Doitsuyama

Day 11 results and day 12 pairings

Leader Hakuho had little problems with Kisenosato today with Asashoryu staying one win behind after beating Chiyotaikai as had to be expected. Tomorrow's opponents might give more fight with the two ozeki Kotomitsuki and Harumafuji - well, Asashoryu certainly has Kotomitsuki's number but Harumafuji is known to give Hakuho some trouble.

Homasho and Chiyohakuho beat Yamamotoyama and Shimotori to continue their win streaks to six and five respectively and secure the kachi-koshi at 8-3 as the closest pursuers of the yokozuna duo, along with ozeki Kaio who ended Tochiozan's own win streak at five and secured his kachi-koshi. Kaio extended his record for most kachi-koshi as a sekitori to 77 (he beat Chiyonofuji's 75 last basho) and of course for most kachi-koshi in makuuchi (now 70 with Kitanoumi at 64, Chiyonofuji and Musashimaru at 63). He now needs 9 and 30 wins respectively to catch Kitanoumi in career and makuuchi wins.

Sekiwake Baruto lost quickly to Kakuryu and at 4-7 is in big danger to lose his sekiwake rank. Komusubi Goeido beat ozeki Kotooshu with a strong charge at the tachi-ai, closely beating the last-resort pulldown attempt of the tall Bulgarian, at least in the eyes of the gyoji and shinpan. Kotoshogiku literally got his kensho money snatched away at the last moment as a late, late mono-ii turned out to revert the gyoji's decision and awarded the win to Wakanosato.

Wakakoyu faced one of his pursuers with Masatsukasa and had little trouble getting the win after a rather weak tachi-ai from the former makuuchi rikishi. Two other pursuers faced each other with Toyohibiki beating Kitataiki two remain two wins behind the leader. Asofuji also got the kachi-koshi while Kotokuni and Mokonami fell behind to 7-4 with losses. The 5-5 rikishi in low juryo all won today to make it rather likely that there will be no more than three free slots for promotions with the open J1w slot and Otsukasa and Yotsuguruma all but sure to go down.

Day 11

Juryo

J12w   Shirononami (6-5)   yorikiri	   Ms3e   Gagamaru (3-3)
J13e   Wakatenro (6-5)	 oshidashi	  J11w   Daishoumi (6-5)
J10w   Kyokunankai (6-5)   oshidashi	  J12e   Otsukasa (1-10)
J14w   Kirinowaka (6-5)	shitatenage	J9e	Hoshihikari (5-6)
J10e   Sakaizawa (7-4)	 yoritaoshi	 J6e	Mokonami (7-4)
J13w   Asofuji (8-3)	   oshidashi	  J5w	Ushiomaru (5-6)
J11e   Wakakoyu (10-1)	 tsukiotoshi	J5e	Masatsukasa (7-4)
J14e   Yotsuguruma (3-8)   kotenage	   J4w	Kaiho (2-9)
J4e	Hakuba (5-6)		yorikiri	   J6w	Kiyoseumi (3-8)
J3w	Toyohibiki (8-3)	yorikiri	   J9w	Kitataiki (7-4)
J3e	Kasugao (5-6)	   hikiotoshi	 J8w	Kotokasuga (4-7)
J2w	Koryu (5-6)		 kotenage	   J7e	Okinoumi (2-9)
J7w	Kasuganishiki (5-6) tsukiotoshi	J2e	Tosayutaka (5-6)
J1e	Bushuyama (7-4)	 uwatenage	  J8e	Kotokuni (7-4)

Makuuchi

M13e   Chiyohakuho (8-3)   tsukiotoshi	M14w   Shimotori (4-7)
M16e   Toyozakura (4-7)	okuritaoshi	M12e   Kakizoe (5-6)
M11w   Aran (7-4)		shitatedashinage M14e   Tamawashi (6-5)
M11e   Asasekiryu (7-4)	yorikiri	   M15e   Tosanoumi (3-8)
M12w   Shotenro (6-5)	  tsukitaoshi	M10w   Tochinoshin (4-7)
M9e	Dejima (5-6)		oshidashi	  M15w   Kimurayama (6-5)
M7e	Homasho (8-3)	   oshidashi	  M13w   Yamamotoyama (6-5)
M6w	Toyonoshima (6-5)   tsukiotoshi	M6e	Tamanoshima (5-6)
M5w	Aminishiki (7-4)	hatakikomi	 M8w	Kokkai (5-6)
M4w	Yoshikaze (5-6)	 hikiotoshi	 M9w	Futeno (5-6)
M4e	Takekaze (6-5)	  oshidashi	  M10e   Iwakiyama (6-5)

M8e	Tochinonada (5-6)   yoritaoshi	 M3w	Tokitenku (3-8)
M3e	Miyabiyama (3-8)	tsukiotoshi	M7w	Takamisakari (4-7)
M5e	Wakanosato (6-5)	tsukiotoshi	M2e	Kotoshogiku (4-7)
K1w	Kyokutenho (3-8)	yorikiri	   M1e	Hokutoriki (0-11)
M1w	Kakuryu (6-5)	   yoritaoshi	 S1e	Baruto (4-7)
O2w	Harumafuji (7-4)	oshidashi	  O3e	Kotomitsuki (6-5)
O2e	Kaio (8-3)		  hikiotoshi	 M2w	Tochiozan (7-4)
K1e	Goeido (6-5)		yoritaoshi	 O1e	Kotooshu (7-4)
Y1w	Hakuho (11-0)	   yorikiri	   S1w	Kisenosato (5-6)
Y1e	Asashoryu (10-1)	uwatenage	  O1w	Chiyotaikai (2-9)

Day 12

Juryo

Ms1w   Sagatsukasa (3-1)				  J14w   Kirinowaka (6-5)
J10e   Sakaizawa (7-4)					J10w   Kyokunankai (6-5)
J12w   Shirononami (6-5)				  J9w	Kitataiki (7-4)
J8e	Kotokuni (7-4)					 J13w   Asofuji (8-3)
J13e   Wakatenro (6-5)					J8w	Kotokasuga (4-7)
J7e	Okinoumi (2-9)					 J14e   Yotsuguruma (3-8)
J12e   Otsukasa (1-10)					J6w	Kiyoseumi (3-8)
J5e	Masatsukasa (7-4)				  J5w	Ushiomaru (5-6)
J4e	Hakuba (5-6)					   J4w	Kaiho (2-9)
J3e	Kasugao (5-6)					  J6e	Mokonami (7-4)
J11e   Wakakoyu (10-1)					J3w	Toyohibiki (8-3)
J2e	Tosayutaka (5-6)				   J9e	Hoshihikari (5-6)
J11w   Daishoumi (6-5)					J2w	Koryu (5-6)
J1e	Bushuyama (7-4)					J7w	Kasuganishiki (5-6)

Makuuchi

M15w   Kimurayama (6-5)				   M14w   Shimotori (4-7)
M12e   Kakizoe (5-6)					  M14e   Tamawashi (6-5)
M10e   Iwakiyama (6-5)					M12w   Shotenro (6-5)
M15e   Tosanoumi (3-8)					M10w   Tochinoshin (4-7)
M9e	Dejima (5-6)					   M11w   Aran (7-4)
M7e	Homasho (8-3)					  M13e   Chiyohakuho (8-3)
M6e	Tamanoshima (5-6)				  M11e   Asasekiryu (7-4)
M16e   Toyozakura (4-7)				   M6w	Toyonoshima (6-5)
M5e	Wakanosato (6-5)				   M9w	Futeno (5-6)
M7w	Takamisakari (4-7)				 M5w	Aminishiki (7-4)
M4e	Takekaze (6-5)					 M8e	Tochinonada (5-6)

M13w   Yamamotoyama (6-5)				 M4w	Yoshikaze (5-6)
M8w	Kokkai (5-6)					   M3w	Tokitenku (3-8)
M2e	Kotoshogiku (4-7)				  M1w	Kakuryu (6-5)
K1e	Goeido (6-5)					   M1e	Hokutoriki (0-11)
S1e	Baruto (4-7)					   M2w	Tochiozan (7-4)
K1w	Kyokutenho (3-8)				   S1w	Kisenosato (5-6)
O1e	Kotooshu (7-4)					 O2e	Kaio (8-3)
M3e	Miyabiyama (3-8)				   O1w	Chiyotaikai (2-9)
Y1e	Asashoryu (10-1)				   O3e	Kotomitsuki (6-5)
O2w	Harumafuji (7-4)				   Y1w	Hakuho (11-0)

Is it just me or will 2 wins in the next four days be difficult for Kotomitsuki? Asashoryu tomorrow, meaning he'll probably have to win two of the last 3 matches just to survive at ozeki.

Edited by Sasanishiki
Made a mistake

Is it just me or will 2 wins in the next four days be difficult for Kotomitsuki? Asashoryu tomorrow, meaning he'll probably have to win two of the last 3 matches just to survive at ozeki.

Asa (possible, but unlikely), Haru (probably not), Taikai (if he sticks around) and Baruto. Bet on the last two to get him his 8-7.

Edited by Asojima

Haku (possible, but unlikely), Haru (probably not), Taikai (if he sticks around) and Baruto. Bet on the last two to get him his 8-7.

If you mean Hakuho and Harumafuji, he faced the former three days ago and the latter today.

Haku (possible, but unlikely), Haru (probably not), Taikai (if he sticks around) and Baruto. Bet on the last two to get him his 8-7.

If you mean Hakuho and Harumafuji, he faced the former three days ago and the latter today.

It is late and I am tired. (Oops!) So, Taikai, Baruto, and (Take, Sato or Ami). He has a pretty good shot at a 9-6.

Edited by Asojima

Kotooshu can feel very extremely hard done by, Goeido actually hit first fractionally ahead of him and the fact that there was no mono ii is very surprising - it was worth at least a rematch. Head shinpan Takasago wasn't even looking.

Edited by sekihiryu

Kotooshu can very extremely hard done by, Goeido actually hit first fractionally ahead of him and the fact that there was no mono ii is very surprising - it was worth at least a rematch. Head shinpan Takasago wasn't even looking.

Looked to me like Osh was dragging the side/ankle of his left foot on the way out. That might be what they called it on rather than the hit.

Head shinpan Takasago wasn't even looking.

Perhaps he was reading the paper?

p1030396.jpg

I just watched it in slo motion multiple times and all I can't really see how Kotooshu didnt get a rematch out it. Hometown boy fever wins perhaps?

True enough, it was close, but I think they went with the dead body rule. And Goeido did dominate the match, there's no denying that.

Hokutoriki is steadily on his way to a 0-15 finish. I can't remember a makouchi rikishi who has managed such an "achievement" in the last years

The last was Itai in 1991.

Kyokushuzan came very close to it in Nagoya 2002 - his only 'win' was a 'fusen' (against Tochiazuma).

Hokutoriki had a 1-14 in Haru 2006, (he hatakomi-ed Iwakiyama on day 10, who was 2-7 at the time) - he bounced back the next basho with a 10-5 at M13W.

I guess the atmosphere gets to him when he reaches the rarified heights of the joi-jin.

Hokutoriki is steadily on his way to a 0-15 finish. I can't remember a makouchi rikishi who has managed such an "achievement" in the last years

The last was Itai in 1991.

A very quick look with the Doitsubase query would seem to suggest that it has only happened 3 times in the Makunouchi Division (that is 15 losses, so after the 15 day basho was introduced) - and all were to rikishi located near the bottom of the division.

I also seem to remember hearing many years ago that a rikishi that has faced a Yokozuna in a basho will not be demoted to Juryo - no matter what their record. But that could be a faulty memory - or an old wive's tale - or never fully tested.

Hokutoriki has not faced the Miyabiflobmonster yet - so a win is still possible (I am not worthy...)

True enough, it was close, but I think they went with the dead body rule. And Goeido did dominate the match, there's no denying that.

I deny it. If anything the dead body was Goeido. From the tachiai Kotooshu went for a nage, armlock right, pressure on Goeido's neck left, and stuck to it. Goedo had a hand on or close to the mawashi but did nothing with it, no push, no pull, no discernible technique whatsoever. He was a passenger being dragged along by Kotooshu. Both fell when Goedio lost his footing stumbling forward, but Goeido cleary touched down first.

I saw a clear win for Kotooshu; clinching my teeth I could accept a replay. But the actual outcome was daylight robbery.

Edited by HenryK

I saw a clear win for Kotooshu; clinching my teeth I could accept a replay. But the actual outcome was daylight robbery.

I agree completely with this - but only after I saw the slo-mo replay. At the time, (in real time), I thought nice win for Goeido. Perhaps the gyoji and the shimpan were of the same opinion? But, close bouts should have mono-iis (IMO), and this is not the first bout I've seen this basho when I was a little surprised that the shimpan remained seated.