Sign in to follow this  
madorosumaru

Quotes from Day 10 - Haru 2009

Asashoryu: (Finally caught in the Turbulence of Spring) My plan was to grab a left sashi hold and get into yotsu position but [obviously my opponent read my intentions].

More Ryu: (Screaming from behind the doors of the bathroom) Sh*%!!!

Even More Ryu: (Alibis start flying) I hurt [my elbow] in yesterday's bout. I was icing it all day.

Musashigawa Rijicho: (Discussing the status of the basho) There still remains the direct confrontation [between the two yokozuna] so we don't know what will happen [as far as yusho is concerned], but I don't think Asashoryu can afford even one more loss.

Harumafuji: (Defeating the yokozuna in a well-planned attack) I thought of doing a henka. I wanted to make sure he couldn't use his left sashi. I knew that would [negatively] affect his sumo.

More Haruma: (Very pleased with the outcome) The yokozuna has been really good to me--as in lending his chest--so I am so glad that I could repay him. There is one more yokozuna. I'm going to get myself all set for him.

Isegahama Oyakata, Haruma's shisho: (Also pleased with deshi's heady sumo) I told him that the only way to beat the yokozuna is with speed and quickness.

Hakuho: (Pushing out Chiyotaikai for his tenth straight win) It's only natural 「for me as yokozuna] to be undefeated. I want to keep the same positive attitude going the rest of the way.

More Hakuho: (Asked about the secret to his dominance) Maybe, it's because I am eating really delicious food. [wry grin]

Even More Hakuho: (Talking about Japan winning the WBC championship at Dodger Stadium where he threw out the first pitch last June) It must be a lucky place. [Does that mean yusho for me, too?] Could be. [smile]

Chiyotaikai: (Make-koshi and kaboban are reality for the battered ozeki) I resolved to myself to come back next basho with the frustrations and anger from this basho pent up in my entire body and soul.

More Taikai: (Intending to continue for the remainder of the basho) If I go kyujo now, I would feel that it's really all over. I'm going to go on even if it means humiliating myself. There will be nothing left of me as a "fighter" if I drop out now.

Kokonoe Oyakata: (Allowing his deshi to make his own determination) He says he wants to continue to the end so I am going to let him.

Kisenosato: (Forcing out Kaio to even his record) I think everything went well today from the tachiai onward. I was able to keep up with him even when he resorted to the pull tactic.

Goeido: (Also defeating an ozeki to go 5-5) I've been able to get even several times. I really need to get past the .500 threshold.

Tochiozan: (Getting closer to kachi-koshi after throwing down Kotoshogiku) I'm really happy. I wasn't able to forge forward so that was the only tack I could take.

Kyokutenho: (Make-koshi at komusubi on Day 10) My sumo is a total mess. A 2-8 record really gets to you psychologically.

Kimurayama: (A bit distracted even after a win over Kokkai) [My alma mater won its game in the big high school tournament] After the basho is over, I am going to go cheer for them. I sure hope they will keep winning until then.

Otsukasa: (Suffering his ninth loss to assure his demotion to makushita) I'm going to think positive and gambarize some more starting tomorrow. I would like to minimize the losses as much as possible.

Kitazakura: (Moving in the opposite direction as Otsu after achieving kachi-koshi) [My success] is all due to the support of the fans. I want to win one more to give me some momentum towards next basho.

Quote of the Day

Hokutoriki: (Suffering his tenth straight loss on the day of his 1000th career appearance) [Of course] I want to win as soon as possible, but I am not that overly concerned about my record. It's not like I am going to die even if I lost all of the remaining bouts.

Thank you very much. (Applauding...)

Yes, Asa...

Sh*%!!!

:-)

Well, Ama should get the other one as well, then we get a nice tie. ;-)

As far as I could tell Harumafuji did henka...

'Heady' sumo is not the best way to 'pay' back..

Edited by Bilu

Harumafuji: (Defeating the yokozuna in a well-planned attack) I thought of doing a henka. I wanted to make sure he couldn't use his left sashi. I knew that would [negatively] affect his sumo.

Really stupid contradiction in Harumafuji's talk. He didn't do henka today at all but thought of doing henka and the other day scolding Kakuryu for doing pulling sumo as that is against the "etiquette" when facing an ozeki. Yet he has a rather fresh ozeki would be thinking of doing a henka against yokozuna. Now THAT is what can be called more against "etiquette" if anything. Great sumo by him today though.

He didn't do henka today at all but thought of doing henka and the other day scolding Kakuryu for doing pulling sumo as that is against the "etiquette" when facing an ozeki. Yet he has a rather fresh ozeki would be thinking of doing a henka against yokozuna. Now THAT is what can be called more against "etiquette" if anything. Great sumo by him today though.

I respectfully disagree. He sure did. Watch the replay frame by frame. It was a Henka that Aran would have been proud of. And you're right. Whining about lack of respect and etiquette and all that crap, then going and planning this. Asa SHOULD have been expecting it. This is not a Baruto fight. With Haruma, you should already know he's got something up his sleeve. The man is intelligent and far quicker than most.

At least for today, the brain beat the arm.

Really stupid contradiction in Harumafuji's talk. He didn't do henka today at all but thought of doing henka and the other day scolding Kakuryu for doing pulling sumo as that is against the "etiquette" when facing an ozeki. Yet he has a rather fresh ozeki would be thinking of doing a henka against yokozuna. Now THAT is what can be called more against "etiquette" if anything. Great sumo by him today though.

He didn't scold Kakuryu but Goeido, but you're right in the other point ;-)

Well there is the full-scale slap-down henka and there is the avoid-full-impact-and-gain-a-better-position semi-henka. Harumafuji's move today was of the second kind. Reminded me of Kotooshu's tachiai against Hakuho at Natsu basho 08.

that was sneaky sumo by Harumafuji, he will keep. ...next degeiko for Asa to Isegahama.

I told him that the only way to beat the yokozuna is with speed and quickness.
yep pretty much, at least Baruto tried. Good example of a hollow win for Harumafuji.
but I am not that overly concerned about my record
no I dont suppose you are Hoku, afterall at M1E you can "afford" the drop down the banzuke - in all senses of the word.

Chiyotaikai: (Make-koshi and kaboban are reality for the battered ozeki) I resolved to myself to come back next basho with the frustrations and anger from this basho pent up in my entire body and soul.

More Taikai: (Intending to continue for the remainder of the basho) If I go kyujo now, I would feel that it's really all over. I'm going to go on even if it means humiliating myself. There will be nothing left of me as a "fighter" if I drop out now.

I don't know about you, but his statements in this situation only earn him more respect from me.

(Sign of approval...)

They also earn him easy wins for Kotooshu, Kotomitsuki and Ama. He's gonna need the help next basho.

Edited by Sokkenaiyama

They also earn him easy wins for Kotooshu, Kotomitsuki and Ama. He's gonna need the help next basho.

Hey, wasn't that for another thread?

Yes, it would be nice if single-issue griping could be voluntarily confined to the appropriate thread. Lest people get the idea that you're a bit too invested in a given issue...

I was on topic. Chiyotaikai's reasons for staying in are cryptic for some, but kind of obvious to others. What do you want me to do, go to that thread and start something like "You know, Sashohitowa on the other thread said Chiyotaikai earned his respect by staying in the basho, but I think yadda yadda...?". Come on, get serious. And I already know some people here already think that about me, so I don't really care.

What do you want me to do, go to that thread and start something like "You know, Sashohitowa on the other thread said Chiyotaikai earned his respect by staying in the basho, but I think yadda yadda...?".

Well, yes. You're hereby encouraged to use the "+Quote" button to automagically transfer quoted posts to another thread if the content of your intended reply is something that is already discussed in-depth elsewhere. Please don't export pet issues all over the place, it'll only force the moderators to split & merge your posts into the correct thread in the end anyway.

Edited by Asashosakari

Hey, if they want to do that with my post above, I'm not stopping them.

Way to be an ass about it. Never mind, I overestimated your ability for being considerate of others.

That's my reaction to people badgering me endlessly about things. Yes, that means you.

Moderator Notice
This thread is millimetres away from being closed. Please stay on topic. I'd like to remind everybody that it's often preferable to use PM if your comments have more to do with the person saying something than with the issue at hand. Thank you!