Sign in to follow this  
Jejima

Ozeki Back-Scratchers' Club

One could speculate that Taikai hasn't gone kyujo yet to guarantee a freebie for Kotomitsuki (and Kaio as well?). Should Taikai withdraw today, perhaps even after winning against Miyabi, that might be quite a strong point for the existence of the Club.

One could speculate that Taikai hasn't gone kyujo yet to guarantee a freebie for Kotomitsuki (and Kaio as well?). Should Taikai withdraw today, perhaps even after winning against Miyabi, that might be quite a strong point for the existence of the Club.

I couldn't agree more with you.

PS. I'm just looking live at Chiyo vs. Miyabi.

Well, Chiyo, lost (ah No ! mono-ii) !

If they give it to Chiyo will he have to stay on ?

Ouf, Miyabi gets the win, and Chiyo can go kyuyo now. (East wins...)

Well Kotomitsuki's win changes everything. Now if Chiyo does not get kyuyo now, what are we OBSC gonna say !

For a second (after watching the slo-mo replays), I went into very deep conspiracy mode. I was wondering whether a way had been found for Chiyotaikai to win - and yet still withdraw from tomorrow's bout, (with Miyabiyama signed up as the fall-guy) without it looking 'suspicious'. It really looked as if that bout could have been awarded to Chiyotaikai for 'hansoku' to give him a win - and yet still be sufficiently 'injured' to drop out from tomorrow onwards - (now that Osh does not need a win from him). But that is crazy talk.

With Miki's upset win over Asashoryu today, there is less pressure on Miki to get his KK. But is the embarrassment of having one of the worst ozeki bashos ever (if not the worst?) enough for Taikai to change the OSBC parameters for their bout tomorrow? (East wins...) Certainly a little more wiggle room to keep the OSBC theory going a little longer, if he does turn up tomorrow - and somehow pulls off a win.

What was with Taikai's stomach bandaging? I don't think I've seen him with that before, this basho. What sort of injury is that protecting?

What was with Taikai's stomach bandaging? I don't think I've seen him with that before, this basho. What sort of injury is that protecting?

Appendix, like Kaio?

It's no bandage - it's his bloated wallet. (East wins...)

Let me pour some more fuel to the OBSC theory (East wins...)

Then I'd say the OBSC was founded sometime in 2008. Here are some facts and figures:

That ruins the whole theory doesn't it? All the years where Chyiotaikay and Kaio were "helping" each other (and Tochiazuma too) are out of the equation now.

But wait! The "beauty" of such theories is they don't need to be proved! Such theories exist forever and their proponents are allowed to use any fact of life to fuel them. No matter what the fact is. Surely the deep global financial crisis which became obvious in 2008 proves the existence of OBSC too!

That the theory denies such a simple fact of life as lack of motivation once you secure your result seems nonsense for the theory masters. That it can be seen in each and every sport doesn't matter.

Once you secure say bronze medal and you have no chance for more you just lack motivation. Why pushing hard for nothing? Why risking an injury? Especially when you know injury will deny your chances next tournament or season?

You drop the pace, you don't play at your 100% you enter the field with reserve players "to give them a chance" you experiment with new tactics, techniques or equipment. There are indeed some athletes and teams who will always go for 100% but they are very rare across all sports.

Admitting the above ruins most if not all proofs of OBSC theory which indeed doesn't matter again because other facts like financial crisis are still there.

For the record I think the theory is plain stupid while at the same time I believe there are cases when one Ozeki will do favor to another. On case by case basis only. No proofs though.

Bottom line is if that thread continues growing with such pace it will make me unsubscribe from sumoforum which is my daily read last 5-6 years.

I personally don't subscribe to the OSBC theory, but I don't care either. If there is or isn't one, it won't change my views of sumo.

Bottom line is if that thread continues growing with such pace it will make me unsubscribe from sumoforum which is my daily read last 5-6 years.

(Sad goodbyes...)

Just kidding, of course... Just do like I do when I'm sick of certain topics on this or any other forum: mark it as read and go to the next one.

With Miki's upset win over Asashoryu today,

...or was it an upset??!!?!?!?11!

(Sad goodbyes...) (Blinking...) (Blinking...) (Blinking...)

Kotooshu vs. Kaio today was the first clearcut candidate for back-scratching.

1:0.

Appendix, like Kaio?

it's an oblique injury isn't it?

That ruins the whole theory doesn't it? All the years where Chyiotaikay and Kaio were "helping" each other (and Tochiazuma too) are out of the equation now.

Hey we are having fun at the expense of two ozekis that are both failing and wishing to stay there as long as possible.

That's all. Personnally I love Chiyotaikai and Kaio, for different reasons (I admire the adaptability of Taikai loosing his tsuppari weapons and gaining other weapons - sometimes he tries yotsu ! - and I love Kaio for the magnificent ozeki he was).

If you don't like that, don't read.

And Tochiazuma never was in this league because at the time he was kadoban and injured, he was still able to produced scores such as 10 victoires (with a bad shoulder) and fight for victory.

Finally Kotooshu is a disappointement.

So it's only their poor performance that was creating this thread, and a bit of fun, and maybe some hidden thruth somewhere.

Note: I think today the most disappointed one was Asashoryu.

Edited by Xris

(Sad goodbyes...)

[Warning!!! This thread is all in in jest.]

The day 14 torikumi is out, and Chiyotaikai will be facing Harumafuji.

1. Harry is probably not a member of the OSBC.

2. Harry could well already have his KK (if he defeats Miyabiyama today).

3. Chiyotaikai is heavily MK.

But, I suppose if Harry doesn't win today, he could 'expect' to win against 'Taikai, but going on current form, a clear win for Harry would be the most likely result anyways.

Being serious for a moment, I would expect 'Taikai to withdraw after today's bout with Mickey (but I have been expecting him to withdraw for a few days now, so what do I know? (Holiday feeling...)), because it would be strange for him to be a no-show on senshuraku - and it would also be strange for a 'potentially' 3-11 Ozeki fighting against another ozeki on senshuraku - the last time it happened was in 1978. The only other time (in the era of 15 day bashos) was in 1965, when the Ozeki in question actually won, to end up 4-11. (He was facing an 8-6 ozeki on that day (In jonokuchi...)). But that might be because 3-11 ozekis are very rare creatures to start with.

[4-10 Ozekis have faced Ozekis on day 15 a few times though.]

So, if Taikai does turn up on day 14 (if he wins today), I would expect him to be really looking for a 4th win against Harry - and may try something like a henka...

Side question - if 'Taikai is a no-show for a scheduled bout with 'Osh on senshuraku, then how is the 'stomping' done? Would they leave Osh out, and take Mickey and Baruto (who should be the 4th to last scheduled bout) to stomp in his place? Similar situations have happened before in the past, for example Chiyonofuji did not turn up on day 15 (something to do with his shoulder) when he won his 27th yusho.

Edit: Just realised that 'Taikai is nursing 2 losses and not 3, so this makes it even more embarrassing. He is going for the record of the worst ozeki basho ever!

Edited by Jejima

If Mickey wins easily against 'Taikai today (say, by hatakikomi in 2 seconds) , that will be back-scratching in its purest form (Holiday feeling...)

Anyway, I think Kaio was fighting for real against Kotooshu yesterday. At least he showed some kiai before the bout, but couldn't get the opponent's mawashi at tachiai and decided to call it a game.

And I'm expecting an unexpected win for Kotooshu against Hakuho today. Osh lost the last 4 meetings between them so he should put some decent effort this time

Anyway, I think Kaio was fighting for real against Kotooshu yesterday.

Seriously? I had the impression he made no effort at all after the tachiai and could have easily won if his heart was into it.

If Mickey wins easily against 'Taikai today (say, by hatakikomi in 2 seconds) , that will be back-scratching in its purest form (Showing respect...)

Well it wasn't hatakikomi, but it looked very awkward at least from the streaming video. It kind of reminded me of the Las Vegas "tournament".

If Mickey wins easily against 'Taikai today (say, by hatakikomi in 2 seconds) , that will be back-scratching in its purest form (Showing respect...)

Well it wasn't hatakikomi, but it looked very awkward at least from the streaming video. It kind of reminded me of the Las Vegas "tournament".

Today I enjoyed seeing Chiyotaikai's 'signature move' - his ferocious tsuppari attack - I haven't seen that for a while (but I haven't been able to see all his bouts recently) :-)

That's nothing compared to Hakuho's signature savage suplex.

Vaguely related - so what are the odds that we'll actually have two ozeki in double-digits after tomorrow? :-( Hasn't happened yet when both yokozuna were active... (Since Hakuho's yokozuna promotion only Kyushu 2007 during Asashoryu's soccer suspension.)

Well, I'd say it looks pretty likely. Ama should win against Kaio and Kotooshu should have no trouble against Chiyotaikai (back-scratching or not). But it still is a lackluster basho from the younger Ozeki, with those losses to rikishi they should beat consistently.

I would guess that the OSBC theory does not apply tomorrow, as Kotooshu does not need a win.

I really don't think Chiyotaikai wants to be the first ozeki in history to end up 2-13. Nor do I think Kotooshu wants to lose to a 2-12 rikishi, whether or not they're a fellow ozeki.

I expect a decent bout (or as decent as Chiyotaikai can give in his current state.), and you never know, 'Taikai could surprise us all.

I think Harumafuji is probably odds on to win tomorrow, as he needs a double digit win on his ozeki CV, and Kaio is probably more concerned about not getting injured, now that his KK is wrapped up.

I would like to see Harry as top Ozeki East (if Osh loses, and Harry wins) for the next basho, as I would think his bouts with the Yokozunas on days 13 and 14 would provide a little more tension -even if he were going into them with precisely 8 wins, and not much to gain. (Although having said that, isn't he good chums with Hakuho? What if Hakuho were two wins behind Asashoryu in the yusho race on day 14? No, I still think Harumafuji would ganbatte - and I think Hakuho would expect nothing less.)

I suppose that Harry is probably going to be top Ozeki West next basho (unless Kaio wins), and so would face the two Yokozunas on days 13 and 14 anyways (barring withdrawals and/or doing a Chiyotaikai like performance early on). If Osh comes with the form that he does occasionally show, then he could also be a threat from top Ozeki East, making the last three days of the yusho race very exciting for all :-(

Edited by Jejima

If both Kotooshu and Ama win, Kotooshu is still the top Ozeki. The same for both losing. So mathematically Kotooshu has the biggest chances of staying top Ozeki.

Would the ultimate Ozeki Back-Scratchers Club (OBSC) been back when Musashigawa beya rule the Ozeki ranks?

Would the ultimate Ozeki Back-Scratchers Club (OBSC) been back when Musashigawa beya rule the Ozeki ranks?

No, because the OBSC theory is that the ozeki work out their bouts so as to have maximum benefit for its members (ie, giving wins to those who need them). Rikishi of the same heya do not compete against each other so they cannot organise their bouts with each (because the bouts do not exist)