Sign in to follow this  
Torabayama

How many more yusho does Asashoryu have in him?

I was pretty impressed this January and I'd like to see him go on for a couple more record breakers. Any thoughts on what the future holds now? (Sign of approval...)

If you had asked me in December 2008, I would have said zero. But after the last basho, he seems to be a contender again.

He is now 28 years old, so, barring injury / further controversies / other ambitions (his business interests and/or political interests), he should still have at least another 6 good years in him. Of course there might be another amazing rikishi appearing on the scene during that time to disrupt the status quo at the top, but if not, Asashoryu is probably good for 2-or-so yushos a year. So it should be possible for him to get at least 10 more yushos, and therefore take the record (Taiho = 32 yushos) with 33.....

But (allowing for the previously given 'get out clauses'), 40 could still be within reach.....?!?

He is now 28 years old, so, barring injury / further controversies / other ambitions (his business interests and/or political interests), he should still have at least another 6 good years in him.

(Sign of approval...) Surely you can't be serious.

He is now 28 years old, so, barring injury / further controversies / other ambitions (his business interests and/or political interests), he should still have at least another 6 good years in him.

(Sign of approval...) Surely you can't be serious.

Sadly, I was - but I see your point (Osh...)

Maybe make that 3 or 4 good years? But 10 yushos still possible in that time-frame.... (with the previous provisos)

Edited by Jejima

I do think he wants that 33rd yusho so he will always be in the "Greatest of All-Time" argument. Whether he gets it or not is another story

I can't see him competing for 6 more years - he seems to have lost some of his former passion for sumo.

I also believe he wants the 33rd, but this may prove to be too much. Winning 25 is the next best thing, then. Places him 3rd all-time, and given his other records (7 conseutive, 6 in a calendar year, 84 wins a year) his place will be pretty much secure as an "outsider all-time great".

My estimate is 2 more yusho, but I might be a bit too optimistic. He follows pretty much the usual pattern of the top-of-the-top rikishi, and if he continues like that, he is very much at the end of his career. I think we'll see him retired by the end of 2010 or possibly early 2011.

While the yusho record is attainable, I just don't see Asa going on for 4-6 years just to secure it. If he has a good year this year and wins say 4 yusho, I could see that he might squeeze out a year or two more to strive for the record. I just don't think he'll stick around winning only a couple of times a year to make up the numbers. Yes, his salary would be useful but I think his mind would not stay on just sumo and the weight of his office would begin to sit uncomfortably. As soon as he stops enjoying it he wil be gone quickly.

The question isn't so much "How many yushos does Asashoryu have left in him?" but rather, "Is there anyone out there strong and driven enough to make life sufficiently miserable for him to hang'em up?" It's not golf...

So...

Hakuho? Asa's proven he's able to take him pretty much when he wants to as long as he's prepared..

The Ozeki? Certainly not all at one time - more like maybe one (or two) max each basho...

The occassional upset from ranks below? Certainly.

If he can walk away with the recent yusho being as rusty as he was (and he might have been lucky early on, but in reality he only made 1 mistake in 16 bouts), logic says that as long as he can roast anyone on any given day, he's good until he starts getting beaten on a regular basis. To do that you need several people to get hot and stay hot over the course of several basho.

I predict that there will be a third Yokozuna before Asashoryu quits.

To me its a question of motivation. I agree that on average, Asa will still beat any other rikishi out there, and probably can continue to do so for 2-3 more years.

However, after he gets 25 yusho, sticking it to Kitanoumi, (who has been one of his biggest critics), I don't see him being too motivated to continue. I don't think he thinks he was treated fairly around the whole soccer incident, and other critisisms, and just wants to show the Kyokai, "You tried to hold me back, but even still, I'm still better than any of you"

I predict he'll go intai after the first basho he goes kyujo after his 25th yusho. (But admittedly, my prediction track record is poor at best...)