Sign in to follow this  
Kaikitsune Makoto

What if sumou is rotten and bad

What if sumo is full of rotten apples and MBOs? What if there is a classic clique where rather simple men form a union where too "difficult" things make everything a mess and where active rikishi are just future members of the rotten MBO clique? What happens to the concept of a rikishi if they are just weak-minded corrupted individuals who follow the code of how things should be so that they can live in their simplicity and so? What if rikishi are turned into a bunch of exhibits of corruption and the dirty self-prostitution?

I wondered last night whether then all that really is beautiful or infatuating in sumo is only concentrated on the details of sumou like shiko, suriashi, teppou, mage, nage, kake and all that? Whether rikishi and oyakata are just grey matter and have no true spirit to honour those details? And if so, why would the ingredients of oozumo then be of such high value? Why would there be any special attraction in such a silly move as shiko? Surely one could then say that why wouldn't a volley ball player's diving technique to save the ball be of similar value?

I don't know but regardless of what kind of pile oozumo might be, the essence can still be shiko and the adjutants. It is the next door to nirvana to realise that it is not shiko's fault if oozumo is full of crap. If sumo dies, shiko lives. Then sumoforum won't be needed anymore and all one needs is to see the light in the essence of sumo basics and live happily ever after thinking that maybe oozumo turned out to be a big abomination as such but nobody takes away the beauty of the basic tools of sumo technique and essence.

There is nothing good about how Kyokai handles things. The more they do or say, the sadder they look. The insult to intelligences is great. One can't respect such arrogance. One can respect suriashi though, even at night, even at full moon or even in agony.

I have asked before, what if sumo is really just プロレス puroresu (pro wrestling) with mawashi, mage and shiko? Puroresu has its rituals and theatrics too of course. They've been around for long enough that one might even consider them to be traditional. When I was a kid I watched and "believed" that they were real matches but of course they were not. I lost interest when I found out that they were fake but many don't care and enjoy the spectacle as entertainment even though it isn't pure sport.

Perhaps there isn't any pure sport left in the world with doping (which is always on the edge, no athelete just eats their Wheaties in the morning and trains hard these days), "shark suits" in the pool and other technological advances, etc. If so then perhaps it is OK to enjoy puroresu and even sumo when for all that I don't want to believe it, there appears to be some funny business going on.

Pure sport is what you do to train your very own body. The stuff you watch, with money involveld...well, what do we all expect?

Money ruins everything. (Yes, I like Marx)

Isn't that all the japanese way? (Foot in mouth...)

Even if Japan or "japanese way" was all rotten, it would still have a huge number of very intriguing and beautiful things. Same analogy with sumou. You just have to ignore the shit and see the essence. If you were to become a big Japan hater, you could still always enjoy sakura and sushi. The separation is possible. One is one's own master and world is full of things that can always appeal.

Puroresu analogy is not really good. Even most children realise it is fake stuff. It is its essence. It is not that sumo would all be fake but it is the way sumo is handled. Call me arrogant but Kyokai is dumb, it is not "protecting the tradition", it is like a damn committee or appears as a political group with the difference that their ways of avoiding difficult stuff is so dumb that 90% of people see the pathetic attempts of getting away from a tough spot.

Where do the new oyakata go when they retire from active sumo? They vanish. What good has Takanohana or Akinoshima or anyone done ever to Kyokai? Is Terao as good as he seems to be? Should there be such oyakata more? is there really any real love towards sumo in Kyokai? or are they just office rats with bad hangovers?

I mean is there really no real brain work in Kyokai? Is there really nobody there that can cause changes within the boundaries of tradition? How incredibly nai'ive and dumb it was to force the tachi-ai rule shit for one basho and then get back to normal just to show the now mean business in correcting bad ways?

Screw it all, there are really good rikishi around and really good sumo but how can it feel this sad when following the news and reading about Kyokai's decisions and acts?

I am a pig and this is SAD!

Pure sport is what you do to train your very own body. The stuff you watch, with money involveld...well, what do we all expect?

Money ruins everything. (Yes, I like Marx)

Money means shit when implementing the first part of your message. Any sport or any activity where true challenges with oneself is dealt with is the purest of the purest. Hence fat slobs who train very little and utilize their status as a sekitori in a smaller heya where newspaper reading ignorant oyakata reside are really disgusting. Rikishi with great ability but lazyness are the worst. Rikishi who love to do hard keiko are the best. Even if they were involved in selling and buying all their bouts and would kill cats for freetime enjoyment, their tendency to do really hard keiko to improve themselves would still be a beautiful thing.

The act of dedicating oneself to really get better and better is the core. All else can is really bad and can be judged harshly but still in that one thing even the worst person could be so good that that part of his dedication could be admired. You often hear that when someone says that for example Hitler was really skillful in something, some people attack that "He was a monster and no good things must be said of him!!!" but that is just stupid. One can always admire the ability or drive to excel in some thing no matter how bad the outcome or other areas would be. Just like it can be fascinating how a intelligent psychopath creates a detailed plot to do some horrible acts in innovative and hard-working way.

Oh, so if a rikishi A is a real nasty SOB and kills homeless people and bankers in the evenings with a shotgun and pokes the eyes of his young heyamates BUT also trains like madman (which he is of course if he did such acts...) and really polishes his sumo and physique putting himself to the limits, that feature can get my upmost admiration despite the fact that in other areas he would be scum and should be fed to dohyo demons in a big kettle.

One can NEVER condemn hard work and desire to get better and better.

Doc, you're a fascinating entity, for sure, a man of many contradictions. I can answer you with my own point of view. I know the wrong kind of stuff is going on in ozumo, to an extent, but I enjoy the good parts that remain. Of course, many improvements could be made, but shouganai. This ozumo we have already is better than no ozumo. At least for me.

And yes, sumo wrestling is (mostly) a very good thing.

Shall we celebrate amasumo then? There is a lot of hard work that goes in for little reward