Sign in to follow this  
Otokonoyama

Reefer Madness engulfs Ozumo

Even the Ministry of Education et cetera has said the dismissal punishment was too light. "No, it is a heavy punishment. The problem is the severance pay that comes with it when demanded-that's what is irritating people. I am pushing for immediate change of the rule, making a dismissed (kaiko) rikishi not eligible for any sort of severance pay!", retorted Isenoumi Oyakata.

According to news reports, the half of YDC members were for "dismissal" (Kaiko) which entails providing severance money if requested and the other half for "de-listing" (jomei) which does not.

What tipped the committee members to "dismissal" was an opinion of an external member, former Japan's National Police Agency Director 74 year old Yoshino who stated that "Jomei is akin to an execution by severing the head in the Edo Era. We should not pull out the treasured blade so lightly".

Perhaps as an ex-policemen, he figured they should save Jomei for a crime something far more sinister like murder.

Judging from the picture, Yaku Mitsuru seems to be very casual guy (without a tie and with a hat at a very serious committee meeting)....in other words, not bound to protocols and customs necessarily.

Yaku is a cartoonist--an artist. As such, he is dressed as an artist would in Japan.

Osamu Tezuka, known as the "Father of Anime," was never without his beret. Caricatures of him would always be identifiable because of the hat.

220px-Osamu_Tezuka.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing a picture of Akira Kurosawa, the renowned movie director, without a hat.

180px-Akira_Kurosawa.jpg

Exactly my point. A liberal (and not a traditionalist) like any other artists around the world.

Exactly my point. A liberal (and not a traditionalist) like any other artists around the world.

The Japanese have "uniform" for all professions. Businessmen wear dark suits and ties, rikishi wear kimono, etc. "Artists" have their garb. The ones that deal with more Japanese themes wear kimono and the ones that are more Western in their work dress as above. Their political leanings have very little to do with their attire. That is the way artists are supposed to look. It is another manifestation of Japanese conformity.

Yaku is hardly a liberal when it comes to sumo. He is a harsh critic of Asashoryu and his lack of "proper demeanor" as a yokozuna. He believes in purging all those who are unsuitable from Ozumo even if it may be painful in the short run in order to protect the national sport. In the current case, he advocated harsher punishment (expulsion) for Wakakirin. He said that Wakakirin behaved like a common street punk by smoking marijuana. Imagine a "liberal artist" in America making that statement. He was even quoted as saying, "I would like Wakakirin to apologize by committing seppuku (ritual suicide)." Of course, Yaku didn't mean it literally, but it is no accident that he chose the imagery of that most traditional form of doing penance.

Edited by madorosumaru

"I wonder if there's a big risk of getting arrested..", wrote Wakakirin in a notebook that was confiscated by the police.

I believe this came from a notebook the police confiscated from his room in Oguruma Beya but I think it's not really what he meant. It says, "パクラレたらリスクがデカイか", which is like "If busted, risk could be huge".

I brought this up because I think what he wrote in the notebook is not his diary but more like what he wrote down at the Kyokai's clinic they had right after Wakanoho. HakuRoho borhters incident. Along with the above writing there were references to Yaocho and other subjects they discussed at the meeting. Since the police has not talked about the notebook since they seized it, I doubt it has any direct relationship and becomes an evidence of his use.

Recently the police has revealed his musician friend admitted that the marijuana found was his but still saying it was purchased at a street in Roppongi from a stranger. Meanwhile the police found trace of cocaine in the office as well. The clerk who worked for their CD store specialized in hip hop music located in Shibuya district told the police that he has seen Wakakrin a number of times and he knows Wakakirin.

Wakakirin is now telling the investigators he got interested in marijuana several years ago when he came across a magazine featuring marijuana and smoking apparatus at a Rygoku book store. Since Wakakirin originally told them he smoked marijuana only twice, the day he was arrested and previous day, they suspect he may be hiding more especially about his source and others who may have smoked it with him.

"I wonder if there's a big risk of getting arrested..", wrote Wakakirin in a notebook that was confiscated by the police.

I believe this came from a notebook the police confiscated from his room in Oguruma Beya but I think it's not really what he meant. It says, "パクラレたらリスクがデカイか", which is like "If busted, risk could be huge".

Yes, you're right. I am losing it, I'm afraid. It should have been : "I wonder (because of the "ka" at the end, which hints at a rhetorical question..) if there's a giant risk by getting arrested", and not "of getting arrested".

Is that better?

Anyone know if the Wakakirin arrest will finally be enough to get the Kyokai to test Chiyohakuho?

Anyone know if the Wakakirin arrest will finally be enough to get the Kyokai to test Chiyohakuho?

So they have to expel another Japanese rikishi, this time from one of the most prestigious heyas? I'm not holding my breath...

The Kanagawa Prefecture Police formally arrested the fourth man found in the office where they found Wakakirin with marijuana. Shigeyasu Sudo, 30, was charged with possession of controlled substance after walking into the office while the police were searching the premise and he was found with a trace of cocaine in his wallet.

Sudo is reportedly is the manager of "D. OFFICE" and often slept at his office. He is also known as D. O ("Dangerous Original"), leader of hip hop group, "Neri Motherf****r" (you know what to fill in there). The others charged, CD shop clerk Tatsuki Okumiya, 21 and Wakakirin's musician friend Tsutomu Hirano, 30 are also the members of this group.

Hirano admitted to police that he has known Wakakirin for three years and Sudo told them that he was introduced to Wakakirin a couple of years ago by his junior associate. Both are telling the police that the drugs were theirs and their use alone at the moment.

The investigators are now trying to find how long they have been using the office to smoke and use drugs and where they obtained them.

It appears more and more Baka-kirin was not only dumber than Wakanoho but also smoking it far longer and more.

Edited by Jonosuke

I was watching CNN and saw when discussing the Michael Phelps weed story, they mentioned this issue as well. Even showing some outdated home video of a Wakakirin bout while in Makushita.

Wakakirin's father and his oyakata came to visit Musashigawa and handed him a letter stating that Wakakirin refuses to accept any severance pay. This brought about a huge sigh of relief ( "I think honestly, it goes without saying", said Musashigawa) from the Kyokai top brass, as they have been under fire for the last couple of days from everyone from the press to the Minister that their punishment was too light and that the intended payment is outrageous. Additionally, it should be decided in the coming rijikai on the 27th that dismissal dismisses the payment as well.

Edited by Kintamayama

they have been under fire for the last couple of days from everyone from the press to the Minister that their punishment was too light and that the intended payment is outrageous. Additionally, it should be decided in the coming rijikai on the 27th that dismissal dismisses the payment as well.

The Kyokai needs to be extra sensitive to all criticisms these days as reforms on public foundations have been under way sometime now in the parliament (Diet). Basically if it goes through there will be two types of foundations and obviously they desperately need to apply for a government sanctioned one with all the tax benefits attached. To qualify they need to be approved by the prime minister as they are abolishing the current system in which these foundations will be under a particular ministry (the Kyokai is under Ministry of Education and Sciences at the moment).

The Ministry of Education as well as the Prime Minister's Office are receiving quite a few letters, phone calls and e-mail protesting the Kyokai's less than stern treatments of Wakakirin as well as previously demoted oyakata and asking the Kyokai's privileges as a public foundation to be withdrawn. The Kyokai will need to show the general public they are dealing effectively and swiftly as well as decisively on these matters. As they know there is a major election coming up this year and their popularity is not exactly high, they are never certain the government may side with public opinion polls.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090205/...umo_pot_scandal

Mark Buckton, a sumo columnist and blogger, thinks the scandal has pretty much run its course.

"A lot of these guys are young and single so it could go further, but it's not really fair to say it's a breakdown in discipline in sumo," he said. "There are 700 men in sumo and the majority of them don't smoke marijuana."

Wakakirin has tested negative to cocaine, stimulants etc. He had his urine tested upon arrest and the results say he is negative.

Ex-Wakakirin has been released on bail today. "I am sorry to have caused so much trouble.", he said. He was in jail for a month. " I have been reflecting on my deeds daily. I was thinking about what I will be doing with my life from here on..", he added.

Suzukawa outside the police station:

20090228k0000m040010000p_size5.jpg

Wakakirin has admitted to smoking pot in the Roppongi offices where he was caught and in the heya. This last piece of information sent Musashigawa running to the press expressing his great disgust in anyone smoking pot inside a heya. "This is really, truly regrettable. Still, it's impossible for any oyakata to keep tabs 24/7 on his deshi..", he said. Oguruma Oyakata is on the jungyo and was not available for comment, but the Okamisan was. "It's inexcusable that he hid and smoked in the heya, but we never knew about it.", she explained. His stuff was sent to his parents' house, and he did not visit the heya after bail was posted. "I don't think we shall ever meet again", summed up the Okamisan.

Edited by Kintamayama

Wakakirin was sentenced today. 10 months suspended sentence for a three year period.

Wakakirin after being found guilty today:

spf0904221710001-p1.jpg

More young giraffe:

spl0904230503000-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama